Rift S vs Quest 2 as a PCVR gamer

Padblaze

Hey guys, I'm planning to get into VR but in PC cuz I heard it's much better using a pc but I can't decide on which to get between the Oculus Quest 2 or the Oculus Rift S for the price it doesn't really bother me cause if I take the Quest 2, I'm gonna have to take the 105$CAD cable (No I don't want to take a much cheaper cable cuz I don't want to lose performance)+ the 60$ CAD Elite Strap + Quest 2 400$CAD so then 550$CAD like the Rift S. Also, my pc is not a problem, I got a Ryzen 5 5600x, RTX 3080, 32GB RAM and good cooling in a 011D. Thanks guys ! :)

Quest 2 has higher resolution per eyes, which means less screendoor effects and more immersive (and not as nauseating for me). Plus you can use it to play PC VR games wirelessly with Virtual Desktop if your router isn't garbage.

Both will require facebook login. Might as well take the superior headset, which is the Quest 2.

If you can spend a bit more, the HP Reverb G2 looks to be a lot better than either of the Oculus headsets.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

HP Reverb G2

Any cost rumors on it?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

7 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Any cost rumors on it?

850$ CAD. It is certainly more expensive... But it should provide a better VR experience overall.

https://www.cdw.ca/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-system-2.89-pre-order-available-fall-2020/6157901

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/HP_Reverb_G2/

But like I said in my previous post, the Quest 2 is the better choice in between the two Oculus headsets. So if the Reverb is too much for you, consider that. Also... Try the regular strap before being the elite one. I don't mind the strap that comes with the Quest 2 at all, it's comfortable enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Quest 2 has higher resolution per eyes, which means less screendoor effects and more immersive (and not as nauseating for me). Plus you can use it to play PC VR games wirelessly with Virtual Desktop if your router isn't garbage.

Both will require facebook login. Might as well take the superior headset, which is the Quest 2.

If you can spend a bit more, the HP Reverb G2 looks to be a lot better than either of the Oculus headsets.

Argh I know the HP Reverb G2 cost like 800$ so defenitely too pricey for me, I'm more looking at a 400 to 600$ price range. Also, my internet is like sooooooooooooooo bad but I count on upgrading it so not a problem. Anyway thanks for the reply, I think I will be going for the Quest 2 but do you think I will be getting the same performance than the RIFT S.

1 minute ago, Padblaze said:

do you think I will be getting the same performance than the RIFT S.

What do you mean by this? Quest 2 will use a compressed video stream instead of native video output, however you'll be hard pressed to see any difference. And even if you played over a crappy WiFi setup like I do, you still have to actively look for the issues in the video to find them.

Now I have not used the Rift S myself, but at this point I don't really see any reason to get one unless you get it basically for free.

1 minute ago, Chionele said:

What do you mean by this? Quest 2 will use a compressed video stream instead of native video output, however you'll be hard pressed to see any difference. And even if you played over a crappy WiFi setup like I do, you still have to actively look for the issues in the video to find them.

Now I have not used the Rift S myself, but at this point I don't really see any reason to get one unless you get it basically for free.

Alr, seems like I'm going for the Quest 2. Thanks for the reply :).

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv