Is a GTX 1080 still worth it?

DrewGMR

I am having trouble coming across reasonably priced mid-range cards (1660 Super/2060/2060super) for my first build, so I've turned to the used market.

There's a 1080 in my area going for about $450CAD, is this card still worth it for the price? If not, any recommendations? 

well i can say im still using a 980ti to this date and i still can run any game i throw at it at full specs ultra settings....tho i would not pay full or even half price for it. maybe $200 canadian tops for the 980ti and $300 for the 1080ti that being said a 1080 non ti i wouldnt pay more than 200

Seems overpriced, you can get a new RX 5700 for around that price and have similar performance. If you could get it for less than $400 I'd go for it.

13 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

Seems overpriced, you can get a new RX 5700 for around that price and have similar performance. If you could get it for less than $400 I'd go for it.

That was my original plan, they were on sale at Canada Computers for $499 - but they sold out real quick. People are ridiculous charging almost $600 for used ones on FB Marketplace and Kijiji. 

I think 5700 XT is faster card then 1080 Ti,at same price,cuz I think you can't find 1080 Ti brand new,so better choice would be 5700 XT or 5700 with modified BIOS to XT.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

17 hours ago, DrewGMR said:

There's a 1080 in my area going for about $450CAD, is this card still worth it for the price? If not, any recommendations? 

saw one for 220$ cad this morning ... probably gone by now ... I would say that 450$ is a bit high price and you can probably find one for 350 to 400 if you are patient.  Used market is really messed up right now but some deals pop out from time to time.  

1080 ti usually I see them for about 600$ which is quite a high price ... saw some for about 450 which is more reasonable but still not the deal of the century.  

If you can find an rx5700xt or rtx 2070 super it would probably be better since they are more recent cards. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

@dilpickle @Dr0y much appreciated! And yeah, definitely a heck of a time to get into PC builds.

Quite a few 2070 supers have popped up around me. Most are about $600, any thoughts on those? 

for 600$ cad it's a nice price for the time we live in ... When the new 30 series becom available at some point then not so much ... but before that happens it will probably take a long time. 

If I wanted/had money to get a card right now that would probably be something I would consider

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

definitely worth it. for $200 or less... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Update: Thanks everyone for the input! Needless to say I did not buy it. 

The used card market is still crazy overpriced around me so instead I put in a backorder for a 3060ti! 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:27 PM, DrewGMR said:

Update: Thanks everyone for the input! Needless to say I did not buy it. 

The used card market is still crazy overpriced around me so instead I put in a backorder for a 3060ti! 

I was wondering if I should do the same ... wonder how long it would take to get it ... also wonder if there's backorder at best buy for founder edition ... those are the one I like the most event with the weird power plug placement and adapter needed ... but it's not like I will look at it since there's not window on my case. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

On 12/12/2020 at 10:12 PM, Dr0y said:

I was wondering if I should do the same ... wonder how long it would take to get it ... also wonder if there's backorder at best buy for founder edition ... those are the one I like the most event with the weird power plug placement and adapter needed ... but it's not like I will look at it since there's not window on my case. 

Yeah getting a FE will probably be close to impossible. If you can't even see it and want a shot at getting it before next spring, I'd just go to MicroCentre or Canada Computers and backorder a 3060ti partner card.