Wondering how Linus gets crazy numbers in CS:GO

chromalife

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how Linus can get over 600 fps in CS:GO. Does he just turn the frame limiter off? I'm planning a new build with similar parts to what he showcased in the 5950X and 3080 benchmark video. I do know there's a scene of people who do crazy registry edits and use third part programs to get "optimize" their game. I'm probably going to get a 3080 and a 5800X, and if I could get crazy FPS like this without having to perform the tweaks I have to do on my 1080 and 1700X, I'd be really happy.

Thanks,

Chromalife

After 300FPS it doesnt really matter at all. Most monitors are maxed out at 360hz anyway.

CS:GO is heavily dependent on the CPU. I mean, WAY more than how the other games do.

If youre taking CS:GO that seriously, first things first: Aim at no less than Ryzen 5 5600X. 

GPU is not really important after a point like 2080's at all, in 1080p.

1440p, and if you want to squeeze out all the extra FPS you can, get yourself a good RX 6000 series GPU's. 

Why?

Faster clock speeds. Extremely high over clock capability without being unstable.

Performing just way too good in 1440p and 1080p. It falls a tad short in 4K when compared to RTX 30 series cards, wins in 1440p and demolishes in 1080p. These cards scale differently. It depends on architecture and all that deep stuff, but without really thinking too much and searching all the details I'd say my opinion is:

Because Ampere is not focused in being fast, mostly focused in core counts, pure computing power.

They would perform even better when compared to RX 6000 in 8K resolution.

But thats where NVIDIA played dumb.

First, who plays at 8K?

Second, RTX 3080 and 3070 already are limited by the VRAM to reach 8K ultra gaming.

On the other side, AMD aimed at majority, around 1440p and 1080p, but did awesome in 4K as well.

Thats why for 1440p and 1080p its definitely a must go for RX 6000 series.

Another thing: SAM, rage mode, all AMD setup, less bottleneck. Yeah NVIDIA is working in SAM as well, but dont really believe they can optimize AMD CPU to their GPU's better than AMD.

AMD CPU's demolish Intel in 1080p-1440p, mostly in CS:GO.

AMD GPU's demolish NVIDIA in 1080p-1440p, and has huge overclocking advantage. 

Extra: As the game developers will start optimizing games for next gen consoles, since AMD GPU and CPUS are same architectures they will perform way better in time. Especially in ray tracing. Until today the games were mostly extremely optimized on NVIDIA hardware, but when next gen consoles and AMD counts, things will be better for AMD. Also with that VRAM its more futureproof.

My suggestion: Ryzen 5 5600X or better CPU

RX 6800 XT or better AMD GPU for the best performance in 1080p and 1440p gaming, GPU wont have much of a lead in CS:GO compared to NVIDIA's but CPU will demolish intel, with SAM and other stuff itll perform pretty good. Imo, though.

I actually have a 1700X, it's not the best for CS:GO. I can generally plow through it basically maxed out at 2560x1600 (and even at 3840x2400) on my setup in the 100-150+fps ballpark, which, considering that I play deathmatch, is perfectly fine. 

You really want something that has single-core grunt and a high clock speed to boot for CS to hit real high frame rates. Most of those registry tweaks and shit are not worth doing period.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 hours ago, chromalife said:

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how Linus can get over 600 fps in CS:GO. Does he just turn the frame limiter off? I'm planning a new build with similar parts to what he showcased in the 5950X and 3080 benchmark video. I do know there's a scene of people who do crazy registry edits and use third part programs to get "optimize" their game. I'm probably going to get a 3080 and a 5800X, and if I could get crazy FPS like this without having to perform the tweaks I have to do on my 1080 and 1700X, I'd be really happy.

Thanks,

Chromalife

There's a command to unlock the framerate - Google it. It's not a "hack" just a joke from VALVE, because they're really really funny dudes *yawn*

No I can't tell you the code cause I don't play pew pew games but it's definitely a thing... 

Also btw you will not gain anything by doing that, possibly even introducing frame time issues.  Higher numbers ≠ not always better. 

Still I get it, it's "fun" lolo 🤭

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer