Bad surround sound with WH-1000XM3

Quite a few years ago now, I got myself a Logitech G35, which I have been using for gaming ever since. Problem is that it's old, and the cable and headband is practically falling apart. There's a great sale on the WH-1000XM3 right now, and I thought I would buy those, and use them wired for gaming and wireless for everything else. Someone in my family already has the XM3s to I decided to try them for gaming before pulling the trigger on my own pair. To my disappointment, the surround sound effect on these is terrible. With the G35, it actually sounds like the sound is moving around you, but with the XM3, the sound just dims and distorts in a weird way. I tried CS:GO and a surround sound test on YouTube. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how they are supposed to behave? I have read somewhere that they are way better in wireless mode soundwise, but I tried the same surround test with my phone, and got the same result.

PS: I plan to use an external mic when gaming.

All responses appreciated

I have the 2s, which are brilliant BTW, only missing a few pointless features of the 3s.

I would never consider them for gaming, as mine are stereo and my Corsair headphones do a way better job, it is just as you described above. My gaming headphones are worn, fraying and the wireless battery has stopped working. But the sound is still perfect.

My advice use the Sony for music or to give quiet in noisy places. Get a proper set of gaming headphones for gaming if you have to replace yours, otherwise keep on going with your gaming ones if they work.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

The 3D audio you’re talking about is baked into the recording or software, the headphones can’t change it.

That said, while the XM3’s aren’t a bastion of tonal accuracy, they surely are more accurate than a gaming headset. You’re probably just not used to a more accurate representation of sound. You can go into the app though and go ham with the EQ to match your previous headset. Also don’t use them with the 3.5mm, it sounds awful and they become off balance.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The 3D audio you’re talking about is baked into the recording or software, the headphones can’t change it.

That said, while the XM3’s aren’t a bastion of tonal accuracy, they surely are more accurate than a gaming headset. You’re probably just not used to a more accurate representation of sound. You can go into the app though and go ham with the EQ to match your previous headset. Also don’t use them with the 3.5mm, it sounds awful and they become off balance.

I would like to use them wirelessly, but that is not an option, because they don't support aptX, so the latency is too high.

I have those exact headphones. I also play CSGO and many other shooters I have had no problems with the sound. I can tell reasonably accurate directions, the sound is good and the sound doesn't feel delayed or slow.

Id make sure youve updated the firmware of the headphones through the app.

5 hours ago, MrPotatoFace said:

I would like to use them wirelessly, but that is not an option, because they don't support aptX, so the latency is too high.

I don't think using wired is a good choice with these headphones. These are wireless headphones half the reason for their price is because they are wireless dont but them if your not going to use its main selling feature. If your problem is that your system doesn't support newer Bluetooth standards go buy a usb Bluetooth adapter which does. 

5 hours ago, MrPotatoFace said:

They do support aptX. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 11/23/2020 at 3:08 PM, Vitamanic said:

They do support aptX. 

Yeah, turns out they do. Don't know what I was smoking when I found out they didn't. BTW I ended up buying the WH-XB900N for my phone, and sticking with my G35s for gaming for now.