Best photography monitor under $500, with HDR

Thready

I need a photo editing monitor, preferably 1440p or 4k. Not gaming, so no need for high refresh rates.

My priorities are good color, as close to 100% sRGB as I can get, and nice blacks. I don't quite understand monitor terminology like nits, contrast ratios, cd/m2 or anything like that. I'm still learning.

I'd like HDR even if it's not the best. I've never had HDR so I don't even know how to shop for HDR.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Why is HDR a consideration if this is used for photo editing? A wide gamut (Adobe RGB) should be far ahead on the feature list than HDR.

2 minutes ago, badreg said:

Why is HDR a consideration if this is used for photo editing? A wide gamut (Adobe RGB) should be far ahead on the feature list than HDR.

Yeah good color is my first priority by far. But I think HDR might help my blacks look better, because sometimes my photos on my monitor don't look the same as my Samsung s9, which is an oled. I just figure HDR might help me get closer to true black that oled gives. I don't know though.

I actually don't understand HDR as much as I'd like, but I hear photographers talking about HDR monitors. 

One thing to think about is the purpose of a photograph is to be viewed, much as the purpose of music is to be listened to.  How will a viewer be viewing the image?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Thready said:

Yeah good color is my first priority by far. But I think HDR might help my blacks look better, because sometimes my photos on my monitor don't look the same as my Samsung s9, which is an oled. I just figure HDR might help me get closer to true black. 

I actually don't understand HDR as much as I'd like, but I hear photographers talking about HDR monitors. 

HDR is for HDR video content creation and consumption. Viewing HDR photos on a monitor isn't really a thing. In general, "HDR photography" refers to images that are tone mapped down to 8-bits.

OLED displays are great for consumption, but they are poor choices if color accuracy is the priority. IPS panels have terrible black levels compared to OLED, but color accuracy is the reason why almost all high-end professional displays are IPS. Most people who view your images will not be viewing on OLED displays, and you have no idea how they would look on different displays unless you process and proof on a color accurate display.

Finally, HDR does not improve black levels. It increases the peak brightness, which increases the contrast ratio. But for photo editing, you are generally going to calibrate to ~120cd/m2 and 750:1 contrast ratio is sufficient.

The only factors at the $500 price point that you should consider (besides size and resolution) are gamut coverage and how well it will calibrate to sRGB and Adobe RGB (preferably 99%+ of both and a max Delta E below 3).

Asus PA278QV.

EDIT: Or PA248QV if you want to save some money or have a 16:10 aspect ratio (at a lower resolution).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, badreg said:

HDR is for HDR video content creation and consumption. Viewing HDR photos on a monitor isn't really a thing. In general, "HDR photography" refers to images that are tone mapped down to 8-bits.

OLED displays are great for consumption, but they are poor choices if color accuracy is the priority. IPS panels have terrible black levels compared to OLED, but color accuracy is the reason why almost all high-end professional displays are IPS. Most people who view your images will not be viewing on OLED displays, and you have no idea how they would look on different displays unless you process and proof on a color accurate display.

Finally, HDR does not improve black levels. It increases the peak brightness, which increases the contrast ratio. But for photo editing, you are generally going to calibrate to ~120cd/m2 and 750:1 contrast ratio is sufficient.

The only factors at the $500 price point that you should consider (besides size and resolution) are gamut coverage and how well it will calibrate to sRGB and Adobe RGB (preferably 99%+ of both and a max Delta E below 3).

Gotcha. Ok. As you can tell I'm still learning all of this stuff. Thanks for the detailed info