Which Language Should I Start At?

Camcognito

I want to start programming, but I do not know which language to use and where to start. I want to use a language that is very simple. (so I can actually do it) Basiclly I just want to make computer games. So are there any really easy langaugues? Maybe even aimed at children? Thanks !

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

If you want to start easy, go to Visual Basic, if you want more of game oriented look at C# and maybe Java

If you want to start easy, go to Visual Basic, if you want more of game oriented look at C# and maybe Java

What about Small Basic? Is that good? It is a simplified version of visual basic aimed towards kids it seems like. I just found it here. http://smallbasic.com/

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

What about Small Basic? Is that good? It is a simplified version of visual basic aimed towards kids it seems like. I just found it here. http://smallbasic.com/

I'm not familiar with Small Basic so I couldn't say.

Python is a good choice for learning the basics of programming. I'm not sure how easy it is for game programming, but it can at least get you used to programming so you can switch to something else later.

I'm not familiar with Small Basic so I couldn't say.

Python is a good choice for learning the basics of programming. I'm not sure how easy it is for game programming, but it can at least get you used to programming so you can switch to something else later.

Ok thanks.

I want to start programming, but I do not know which language to use and where to start. I want to use a language that is very simple. (so I can actually do it) Basiclly I just want to make computer games. So are there any really easy langaugues? Maybe even aimed at children? Thanks !

I currently do programming and i would advise that you start with C# on visual studio. You can create numerous applications with it and it is easier to learn than java. It is the easiest language that i have learnt.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Python is always quite fun :)

I might try Python. A lot of people recommend it.

Java and C++ are good starters imo.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I genuinely doubt it matters what you start with really. You will be able to do pretty much anything in any of the languages. Choosing something free obviously has benefits and something popular so there are tutorials and books but beyond that I don't think the first experience of programming should be in any particular language.

I personally started with Pascal but that's cause its a language based programming language with alot less notatins. Easy starter language then a year later I was making doom nockoffs in visual basic! Lol

I started originally in Basic, then I went to assembler and ended up doing C for quite a while. All of them helped learn. I first fell in love with a language properly when I started using Java, but then I fell even more for Erlang and then again for Scala. I just don't think the first language matters much, you learn a lot of concepts in it regardless that will transfer across and once you outgrow it it doesn't matter you just move on.

First off I recommend learning "how to program". The mechanics of it, how things work, how to develop algorithms. Do not make the make the mistake of making a game a "short-term goal".

I recommend C++/C or Java first, then after that, any language is some what easier to learn then the last.  

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Java is fairly easy to pick up, C (and it's extensions) are all easy to pick up as well - I started with Java. 

I used a piece of software called "Processing" to learn; it's free, has error detection and has a nice little cheat sheet built in. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I started with Visual Basic when I was 9 years old, and still use it to make Windows software. it is simple, yet powerful. Small Basic is an option too, it provides a good start for moving on to other languages.

Visual Basic is alright to start with - it's what I did. But won't get you a feel for game development. Both VB and C# would be good to start with building applications, and the support and documentation is great. ActionScript in Flash is another option - not so easy to jump right into as you have to learn your way around Flash's interface as well. That is the easiest way to get into animation and games though.

But I'd actually recommend a copy of Microworlds and start in LOGO. It's really easy, taught in schools and gets the foundations down pat and you can step up from there to a more complex language.

First off I recommend learning "how to program". The mechanics of it, how things work, how to develop algorithms. Do not make the make the mistake of making a game a "short-term goal".

I recommend C++/C or Java first, then after that, any language is some what easier to learn then the last.  

Well I am 11, so, no games any time soon :D I already know the basic stuff in Java 

I started with Visual Basic when I was 9 years old, and still use it to make Windows software. it is simple, yet powerful. Small Basic is an option too, it provides a good start for moving on to other languages.

I will check it out ! :D

my friend who has been programming for many years and knows many languages highly recommended python to me when I asked what language to start with

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 3 months later...

Hmm personally I started with html a kinda a bit of js. I guess if you want to do it how I did it, just look around and any language you can grasp at all pick that up and learn it, but make sure it does what you want to do. Although there are other ways to go about this. You can just jump right in and tackle the language you want to learn head on. Like say if you want to learn somethink like C/C++/Java/C# then just jump right into it. If you want to learn the most common language C/C++ but cant grasp it yet, I recommend JS as a starter. It will get you familiar with the syntax a bit and teach you simple basics. Then you can move onto one of 2 routes. First one would be performance then speed which is C/C++ or speed then performance which would be C#/Java then moving to C/C++. The second route is easier but you might find that Java and C# are so easy that you get lazy to learn C/C++ (I am lazy am stuck with VB with most of my apps). BTW I say speed as in developement time.

Python is the easiest to start with and when you know that it'll be easy to learn other languages.

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Hmm personally I started with html a kinda a bit of js. I guess if you want to do it how I did it, just look around and any language you can grasp at all pick that up and learn it, but make sure it does what you want to do. Although there are other ways to go about this. You can just jump right in and tackle the language you want to learn head on. Like say if you want to learn somethink like C/C++/Java/C# then just jump right into it. If you want to learn the most common language C/C++ but cant grasp it yet, I recommend JS as a starter. It will get you familiar with the syntax a bit and teach you simple basics. Then you can move onto one of 2 routes. First one would be performance then speed which is C/C++ or speed then performance which would be C#/Java then moving to C/C++. The second route is easier but you might find that Java and C# are so easy that you get lazy to learn C/C++ (I am lazy am stuck with VB with most of my apps). BTW I say speed as in developement time.

HTML isn't a programming language and it barley helps you with anything with any language really.

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Deep end of the pool was fun for me, straight into C++ with StackOverflow and Cplusplus.com as common resources for help.

Give yourself few goals functionality-wise to develop in console like a tic tac toe game with replay functionality or hangman and use tutorials to build your program up.

Don't be afraid to start a dozen of smaller projects, breaking them completely and never finishing them; the more you mess up the more you learn.

Try reading a bit about common practices in programming.

Whatever you do, the key is to learn stuff one at a time, if you start mixing in too much new stuff, there's a chance you'll miss something crucial.

Please god, no. Not VB!

AGH!

Visual Basic is alright to start with - it's what I did. But won't get you a feel for game development. Both VB and C# would be good to start with building applications, and the support and documentation is great. ActionScript in Flash is another option - not so easy to jump right into as you have to learn your way around Flash's interface as well. That is the easiest way to get into animation and games though.

But I'd actually recommend a copy of Microworlds and start in LOGO. It's really easy, taught in schools and gets the foundations down pat and you can step up from there to a more complex language.

Thank you! Visual Basic is a badly designed language that encourages poor habits that do not carry over into other languages. It is only useful on Microsoft Windows operating systems and as a result will have you shunned in virtually every open source community in existence. LOGO is really nice, LISP based and will get you familiar with the next frontier of programming, the functional paradigm.

I will check it out ! :D

Please don't. Python or Ruby are far better than Visual Basic to start off with.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /