How hard is it to mod an old (80s) PC case to use new parts?

LordImperator

Hello there good folk,

I come to you in a time of great need.

There's a tl;dr at the bottom if you don't want to red for context to save time.

To preface this and introduce you to my plight: In essence I've been wanting to get a new PC tower that's something more inline with my tastes as while mine is decent enough in function and appearance it's not really something I actively like. Just aggressively mediocre really. I just keep it deep under my desk where I never see it beyond having to crawl under there to clean it. With a corner desk that means its quite far out of sight just the way I like it. Everyone has their own tastes with what they like in computer cases but honestly speaking I really, really dislike the current stuff that's on offer. Especially with RGB all over everything that I just instantly turn off, and weird obsession with tempered glass panels. I'm sure it's the thing for a lot of folk, power to them as so many varieties in taste make the world quite interesting. But not really my thing.

I've wanted to try getting an IMB PC/2 case and modding it to fit modern components but the main issue here is I never really done any case modding. I suppose this would also technically be a sleeper PC? Though in my case I just really, really love the appearance of these older computers. And the IMB PC/2 line just looks downright gorgeous. How difficult would it be to get one of these to fit modern parts? I'm not really familiar with older computers beyond their looks and this IBM line just really struck out to me as something sexy looking.

I'm not insanely tech savvy for building PCs, I've only built 2 in my life. Which somehow turned out well. If specs matter any in terms of helpfulness with my question:

Speccy says the following

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)

Mobo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX Z270E GAMING (LGA1151)

Storage: 2 SSDs, 1 HDD

I added some pictures to illustrate the cases I mean, damn look at that satisfying on lever.

PS: Unsure if this belongs here instead of new plans or building sub forums but that has a template which doesn't really fit in with my questions so I'll toss it here.

tl;dr

How hard is it to mod a IBM PC/2 type case to use modern PC parts? How would it be best to do so? Or perhaps what are good alternatives?

I'd like to either not touch the outside appearance or do minimal to no changes to it, no RGB etc.

thicc boy.png

petite boy.png

That looks amazing. I imagine the only real mod you would need are for the standoffs for your motherboard (did they use atx back in those days?) . If you are planning to use hard drives, you will need to mod a space for those too. 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Yeah I'm not sure the ATX standard even existed back then. Most I can imagine is having to find a bud to help with drilling screw holes in the bottom for standoffs and probably an entirely new backplate.

The issue is that the backplate looks fairly different to what we have today. Another issue I can imagine is if theres even enough space in the Model 70 (the thicc boy) for space to mount a GPU. Unless I use some sort of riser is it? Cooler issue can be easily fixed/bypassed with a new smaller one.

Doubtful standard GPU mounting can work for the Model 30 (the petite PC) though that's for sure.

Lol omg. I used to have one of those pc's, many moons ago. But seriously you will have a hard job without some majour modifications. The lack of airflow and cooling is your first problem. Then trying to get all those modern parts to fit is problem number 2.

But honestly, let me know if you get it done. I would love to see it,

Its going to be next to impossible without a workshop full of tools

The simple things are

Motherboard standoffs will be incorrect and might even be the old nylon clip type.

PSU will probably be to big and the holes might not line up.

3 1/4" & 2 1/2" drives didn't exist at all back then.

No I/O cutout at all.

The killer though is that spacing between the card slots on the back, these old IBMs were before ATX was a thing (they used AT instead) so if the slots don't line up then there's really not much you could do to correct it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'd highly reccomend not destroying an original valueable ibm ps/2 especially if you've never held a power tool before

there's more than enough classic atx cases you can build into without modifications , just wreck an ibm aptiva or something over wrecking a ps2

For someone with experience it isn't too difficult, but here's what I would suggest: don't start out by trying on an IBM PS/2. Those are collectible machines, and you'll want to get some experience with things you may need to do on something else. The layout of those cases isn't terrible, but you'll need to do a fair bit to get the motherboard and power supply mounted. You may also need to do some work with the front panel, especially for the power switch. Those machines didn't use soft power switching like we do today. Instead, the switch on the front of the machine connects line voltage to the power supply, or in some PS/2 models is attached to a hard power switch on the PSU itself with a metal rod.

Also, when you're ready to work on what will be the final case PLEASE find a PS/2 that is already internally broken. I can't stop you from doing anything, but it drives me nuts to see people tear apart these collectible machines just for the cases. If the PS/2 you do use is functional then please find somewhere for the parts unless you were planning on keeping them for yourself. Don't just recycle the guts of the machine.

In short:

1) Practice on something other than an actual PS/2 case to get some experience. Modifying something like this does take a lot of work.

2) PLAN! Make a detailed plan of what you need to change about the case and try to think of any issues you may encounter.

3) Go slow. Don't rush when you're modifying the case. Take your time and make it look great.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

from that era motherboard spacing was weird and standardized back panels were uncommon. 

you'll likely be looking at (in order of difficulty/most intrusive)

- Intake fans/mesh to have some airflow

- PSU mount

- horizontal PCIE mount with a riser card or cable

- Motherboard standoff mounting and rear IO mounting

- cooler clearance

- front IO and rewire the power switch to work with the motherboard pins

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

7 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Practice on something other than an actual PS/2

Yeah I'm not crazy enough to go and try and cut up a PS/2 on my own. I don't trust myself to do such DIY modding. At worst maybe finding someone who can for a price around these parts. A professional costs a bit extra but will do an infinitely better job than me. Still, nice to know how doable it is and what would be needed to touch it up for prep.

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

ibm aptiva

Not really what I'm looking for I'll admit. To me it looks pretty much the same like any modern PC case or well tower, just minus the glass panel and not black. I'll admit I'd like something I can have to prop up my monitor higher and those desktops are more floortops than anything. So same thing as I have with my cooler master haf tower.

I'd only really go for a case alone, or something of the sort. And of course a pro to do it or help me do it for a price. Though that's probably long after lockdown. It's pretty much no go outside time at all where I live.

1 minute ago, LordImperator said:

I'd only really go for a case alone, or something of the sort. And of course a pro to do it or help me do it for a price.

I'd do it myself just to ensure it wasn't done wrong , if you;re going to destroy a valuable pc that nobody will respect you for doing then at least do it correctly.

I'm not kidding when i say I've done at least a half dozen cut and shut's to ATX form factors. And yeah its really easy to screw up and do it wrong even for a sheet metal shop.

A Netvista is also an option. Just trying to think of other Ibm's you can wreck instead of a ps2. The netvista is already atx and most of the components will bolt in except the psu. 

• 5 months later...

How did it go? 

Considering it myself as I have 4 IBM PS/2 Model 50Z (the thick one) laying around (2 that works)...