Should my non-techie partner get the new M1 Macbook Pro?

Hey everyone, a long time watcher of LTT but first time on the forums.

For the best part of a year my partner has been wanting to get a Macbook Pro, tried convincing her to spend the same money on a Windows laptop but to no avail. Typically the Mac would be used for Youtube and MS Office, nothing taxing. Considering it has to be a Macbook Pro, any thoughts on whether we should get the M1 based ones or go for the Intel ones? I guess I am uncertain how long the Intel based Macbooks will continue to be supported. But same could be said about the M1 though (based on what Linus was saying on the WAN show).

Thank you!

Light use and it doesnt matter. Office and browsers have been running quite well on ipads for ages.

I just think its horrible value when Asus Vivobooks with 4500U cost something near 600€.

2 minutes ago, mal_stephen said:

For the best part of a year my partner has been wanting to get a Macbook Pro, tried convincing her to spend the same money on a Windows laptop but to no avail. Typically the Mac would be used for Youtube and MS Office, nothing taxing. Considering it has to be a Macbook Pro, any thoughts on whether we should get the M1 based ones or go for the Intel ones? I guess I am uncertain how long the Intel based Macbooks will continue to be supported. But same could be said about the M1 though (based on what Linus was saying on the WAN show).

Thank you!

The new one should be perfect for the use case and with supreme battery life. I wouldn't get one. But for some reason, the metallic surface seem to attract the opposite sex like never seen before.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

New architecture for an established ecosystem?

Ehhh.... Sounds like an expensive ticket to a beta test. 

Flat out no. It's a first gen product so it will be abandoned quickly just like apple does with every single first gen product.

Why does it have to be a macbook tho? browsers and ms office is something any windows system can do.

If you have the money, and its what she wants, from my experience, make her happy. Then if it doesn't work the way she wants it to, you can be like "I tried to get you to buy a windows laptop, this is why." I would also point out, to never buy the first generation of ANYTHING (cars, trucks, Pogo sticks, it doesn't matter) the first gen is where they will work out bugs, etc. Here is an article (from 2006 mind you) "Why first generation Apple products suck"

That was from a google search of the terms "first generation product problems" It was 3rd in the list. (full disclosure I have not read the article)

So in summary. Shes a grown up, you gave her advice (being the more technically inclined in the relationship) if she chooses to not heed your advice, that's on her and you can hold it over her head later.

Reviews for the new M1 Macs should be published starting tomorrow. See them before committing. 

Otherwise if the choice is between the M1 and the Intel version, I would strongly recommend going for the M1 version. If the metrics published so far are real, then the M1 will outpace the Intel chips in most if not all scenarios. For basic computing, which the M1 seems to be designed for, it will likely be notably better and provide significantly better battery life. 

As other have said (and LTT has sensationalized) the M1 is a first generation product and will have its own quirks and shortcomings which will be fixed/improved in future versions. However, for all things tech, the rule is there is always a new and better version coming, so buy what you need today and don't worry about it.

On the other hand, if you're interested in saving some money you might be able to find some good discounts on the now discontinued entry-level Intel MacBook Pro. 

1 hour ago, mal_stephen said:

Thank you!

See how it performs first. Also the Air should be more than enough for that. Also also why not look at an iPad Air with the magic keyboard case?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?