Next logical upgrade

The Lich
Go to solution Solved by Plermpel,

Would wait for big Navi Release and depending on your budget decide between 6800/3070, 6800XT/3080, 6900XT/3090 when there are some Benchmarks out.

It always depends on your budget, if you upgrade you will run into a CPU limit for shure in 1080p but maybe you can get a Zen 2 CPU for cheap in a few months then, which would raise the CPU limit a bit, if you have 2000$ you could just go for a new mainboard, Zen 3 and a 6900XT...

Like I said depends on your budget.

Heya,

I can't decide what to upgrade first, I want to be able to run all games at 1080p and high FPS (100+) My full build list should be in my profile. Don't have much money (yet) but will be saving up for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

The Lich. ☠️☠️☠️

Howdy and welcome :)

without knowing what you have answering that question is kinda hard

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

For starters, what games

Second, better to copy and paste your build list to the post.

Where are you located?

You want cheap ass build or normal priced build?

It's Ryzen 2600X and a Vega 56 I'd go for the GPU nomatter what games he plays.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix X370-F GAMING
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Asus AREZ Strix Vega 56 8GB
  • Case
    Sharkoon TG5 RGB (with 6 Enermax TB RGB fans)
  • Storage
    500GB Gigabyte SSD, 1TB WD BLUE HDD
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus PLUS GOLD 650W
  • Display(s)
    AOC 24G2U 144hz IPS
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
    Trust GXT 164 Sikanda
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm, Modmic UNI
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Here's the list of my current setup

I mainly want to upgrade to make it future proof (Cyberpunk 2077, Atomic Hearth, Red Dead Redemption 2) that kinda stuff, and I'd like to run them at max with good fps (I don't care about Raytracing yet)

8 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

It's Ryzen 2600X and a Vega 56 I'd go for the GPU nomatter what games he plays.

Do you have any recommendations? 

Would wait for big Navi Release and depending on your budget decide between 6800/3070, 6800XT/3080, 6900XT/3090 when there are some Benchmarks out.

It always depends on your budget, if you upgrade you will run into a CPU limit for shure in 1080p but maybe you can get a Zen 2 CPU for cheap in a few months then, which would raise the CPU limit a bit, if you have 2000$ you could just go for a new mainboard, Zen 3 and a 6900XT...

1 minute ago, Plermpel said:

Good idea, I'll wait for the Navi release and the benchmark results, then I can decide which to buy depending on how much money I saved up.

1 minute ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Well, a GPU upgrade would be worthy. There's one major problem with that, good fucking luck on acquiring a RTX 3000 series or AMD RX 6000 series GPU. If I were you, just save the money and hope that you can get your hands on a new GPU within the next ~6 months or so.

Jup... They will prob be sold out very fast.

You could just try and get a Big Navi Card in your Budget, if you get one and the benchmarks are bad you can allways return it or resell.

Future proof (which is or was only around 1 console generation for gaming) has been hit with this storage speed thing which puts everything up in the air.  A really fast m.2  SSD may be needed, but there’s no point in buying one atm.

given that cpu and mobo I might actually go Nvidia over ryzen2 because the ryzen2 fast storage solution has mobo, cpu, and gpu requirements whereas the Nvidia one doesn’t.    To make the AMD solution work you’d need new cpu, gpu, and mobo.  A lower end Nvidia 3070 absolute tops. Less if possible.  That cpu just can’t throw a ton of fps in games.  The x600 gives it some torque, but the 2xxx limits top end a lot.  It’s going to be no better and very possibly weaker than an XboxX cpu wise. Could possibly beat an xboxS though which may leave it in the running.

to actually play “anything you can do I can do better” with an unreleased console would mean a full gutting.  Cpu mobo gpu all would have to be replaced, and that’s most of the value of a computer.  16 thread cpu, motherboard capable of pcie4, and a big ass gpu.  You’ve got a decent chance of hitting the xboxS though with just a gpu upgrade.  If you get really really lucky and someone writes some cute driver for vega56 and the storage thing turns out to be a bust you might get away with what you got.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Future proof (which is or was only around 1 console generation for gaming) has been hit with this storage speed thing which puts everything up in the air.  A really fast m.2  SSD may be needed, but there’s no point in buying one atm.

given that cpu and mobo I might actually go Nvidia over ryzen2 because the ryzen2 fast storage solution has mobo, cpu, and gpu requirements whereas the Nvidia one doesn’t.    To make the AMD solution work you’d need new cpu, gpu, and mobo.  A lower end Nvidia 3070 absolute tops. Less if possible.  That cpu just can’t throw a ton of fps in games.  The x600 gives it some torque, but the 2xxx limits top end a lot.  It’s going to be no better and very possibly weaker than an XboxX cpu wise. Could possibly beat an xboxS though which may leave it in the running.

to actually play “anything you can do I can do better” with an unreleased console would mean a full gutting.  Cpu mobo gpu all would have to be replaced, and that’s most of the value of a computer.  8core gpu, motherboard capable of pcie4, and a big ass gpu.  You’ve got a decent chance of hitting the xboxS though with just a gpu upgrade.  If you get really really lucky and someone writes some cute driver for vega56 and the storage thing turns out to be a bust you might get away with what you got.

I mean future-proof more in the way of being able to run upcoming games at max with good performance, I know I can't get that in one step, but I have to start somewhere. Buying a next-gen 6000 series GPU will make my older CPU the bottleneck, I prob will upgrade the mobo first before the CPU, so I will be able to get a Next-gen 5000 series CPU down the line, I don't mind not having the 'instant load' the new gen consoles have. And seeing how 1080p isn't that demanding (compared to higher resolutions),

I think upgrading my GPU will make a big step towards being able to run the upcoming games well.

6 hours ago, The Lich said:

I mean future-proof more in the way of being able to run upcoming games at max with good performance, I know I can't get that in one step, but I have to start somewhere. Buying a next-gen 6000 series GPU will make my older CPU the bottleneck, I prob will upgrade the mobo first before the CPU, so I will be able to get a Next-gen 5000 series CPU down the line, I don't mind not having the 'instant load' the new gen consoles have. And seeing how 1080p isn't that demanding (compared to higher resolutions),

I think upgrading my GPU will make a big step towards being able to run the upcoming games well.

Re: future proof.

So did I, more or less.  The problem is we just don’t know what is going to be written, or when a change would take place. 

Why I think this:

Spoiler

My strong suspicion is before the consoles are replaced again, their hardware capacities will be maxed out, and traditionally game developers optimize for consoles because there is a lot of money there, and are in a massive hurry to get their game out before it misses its coolness window, so they tend to make stuff that is difficult to make go on machines that can’t match those specs.  4/8 got lucky.  Last gen consoles were 6/6. (With 2/2 for OS) 4/8 CPUs had the 8 and they were faster, so they could match it. The 4/4 CPUs had problems though even if they were faster. Fast 4/8 could play “anything you can do I can do better” with jaguar1, so they’re still chugging ftm because even though the new consoles are starting to trickle out the new games haven’t really.  If a developer is more concerned with making a game run on the current installed PC base it may run on 4/8 There have been developers who’ve done this.  Mostly esports arena PvP shooters. 
4/8 cannot play that game with jaguar2, and perhaps neither can 6/12, because jaguar2 is 8/16(total.  How that is cut up is another piece of data I’m still waiting for).  It becomes a question of what game starts being played when.

re: fast storage

You might, You might not.  We don’t know yet.  I think you will be at first.  I just don’t know about later.  

re: build changes

The good news is your current system has some time.  It will play stuff into 2021 pretty much guarantee at this point. (3 failed releases in a row means there isn’t enough people with consoles or fast GPUs to make a new type app worth releasing till that happens. 2077 is not a new type app)

with a system like that I personally would be ignoring Black Friday for upgrades and reassess in mid December for day-after-Christmas-sales.  To make it till the end of this upcoming console line without upgrades I strongly suspect 8/16 may be needed.  Fast storage is less sure, but that one will likely firm up at least some before Christmas. 

Edited by Bombastinator