I’ve got a lucky ticket…

NickHeavy
13 minutes ago, Not_A_Spider said:

Wouldn't TECing the water instead of the cpu be better?

I was wondering if this was happening in that cpu block, but i dont think, but i think with that it brings more places for humidity to form, not only from the tec to the die, but after, as coolish water could move past the cpu as it has finished a task and cause some humidity on the way to the radiator, but a double back would be interesting, where from cool water from radiator, it went to cool side of TEC, then cpu, then hot side of TEC, then radiator, so water temps outside of that main block dont get too cold, but at that point you would need a fluid that doesnt freeze at 0 degrees cause the TEC gets pretty chilly 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

personally i love this.

if we can get better stuff like this (and amd doesnt invest in this [Very unlikely]) i would buy intel

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I ran TEC coolers long ago with crappy Domino ALC AIOs but they all leaked. Very interested in the sub zero coolers although I have an Icegiant on preorder. Where is the giveaway info on that set ?

I ran a Peltier cooler back on my 486dx4/100 and found it pretty neat, if power hungry and producing heat by the freightload. I was kind of saddened that it never really caught on in the PC world.

Nice to see it making a comeback.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I love how someone posted a thread on the forum a few months ago about a fridge-like or sub-ambient cooler and one of the top cooler brands designing some sort of product, but got trashed by everyone on the forum saying it was a stupid idea... 

And it was.

5 hours ago, Orange1 said:

Its aimed at a special group of consumers

Yep, the same group that bought the fastest eight-core on the planet and the first 5GHz CPU:

Spoiler

amd_fx-9590_with_liquid_cooling.jpg

3 hours ago, Not_A_Spider said:

Wouldn't TECing the water instead of the cpu be better?

You would be limited by the water not freezing, and condensation could take place anywhere along the water circuit. This keeps the sub-ambient part confined and allows for theoretically even lower temps there.

6 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I disagree.

If they release a 10 core or even 8 core CPU that can hit 5.7 GHz out of the box with the included cooler, then Intel might be back in the running.

A lot of peeps would prefer the higher clock speeds. - of course, they would need to amend and create software that allows basic users to get the 5.7 GHz.

I just bought a 5950X too FYI.

I just saw the EK version with a CPU waterblock and controller is selling for ~€350. Adding radiator, pump and fans. The cooling is as expensive as the CPU itself. Plus a 1000w PSU if someone plans to pairs it with 3080/3090.

This stuff is definitely fun to play with, but I gotta wonder is Intel merely taking a jab at AMD with this or do they actually consider users set up and run a TEC full time? The latter is no trivial task.

That 360 AIO rules it out for use with miniITX for one thing, and a lot of microATX cases as well. You also have to consider how solid their controller/software is since you would need to depend on it 100% in order to avoid going sub ambient by accident and condensation forming. I would definitely apply conformal coating on a system with a TEC in it to be safe.

I remember well the TEC attempts in the past - fugly, janky solutions that required insulated tubing, non standard mounting hardware, auxiliary power supplies and hideous neoprene insulation around the socket that was guaranteed to fail prematurely. Again these were fun to "play with" but never suitable for full time use. I suspect a lot of early adopters ended up with damaged hardware... and by then the novelty had worn off.

If these do make it to second gen, and the software/controllers prove to be reliable and stable, then it's possible these could become more available in the future. It would be nice to see a W3175X variant with a more powerful TEC in there because THAT CHIP certainly would be an ideal candidate for cooling when it is being pushed with a good overclocked.

If I had to pick between the two I'd go the EK route since that would also integrate with a GPU block and help cool that as well. It would fit in with the rest of EK's lineup too given they already make blocks for every socket. I am hoping this is just the start of some very interesting things to come.

I really hate sugarcoating obvious blunders.... especially if it is against the consumer...

Linus: "Do I smell competition here? "  <--- WHY? Because they sponsored the video you have to say that? omg.... 

Go to a doctor linus because smelling stuff that doesn't exist is a symptom of a small stroke!

Why is the need of purchasing a 350$ rad with all the side issues (such as condensation cable clutter and probably a loud pump) competitiveness? 

Especially since even with your "golden" example cherry-picked CPU you couldnt touch stable 5.8Ghz (at god knows what wattage) 

That's not competition that's beating off of a dead horse.... 

It would have been a sign of competition if they were to lower their prices (since they cant produce a better architecture yet)!

In europe even a i9 9900k (8c/16t)  costs 400 euros (north of 400$) 

I am so sure that this post will get ignored and no answer will be given or if it gets a response by ltt it will be something like "we like to focus on the good side of each product" ...

47 minutes ago, papajo said:

cherry-picked CPU

That is the problem with sponsore video's.

cherry picked components

now, not only the paid for component, but everything else that goes into the system could be cherry picked for optimal sponsored pay

2 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

That is the problem with sponsore video's.

cherry picked components

now, not only the paid for component, but everything else that goes into the system could be cherry picked for optimal sponsored pay

It is stupid all the way m8. 

The ability to OC should not be a product feature but a given, intel constraining in the later generation this ability is just a greasy car salesman tactic against the consumer. 

Even if all went good and he indeed was able to run at 5.8Ghz all cores non stop without blue screens after tinkering with the settings (which he did not achieve) it still wouldnt been a sign of competitiveness. ..

If you cant make better CPUs lower the prices those are the two things a company does that actually wants to be competitive Intel still sits on its high horse pretending ryzen didnt happen and demanding premiums for their refreshed cpus.........

But I like the idea of TEC/water hybrids I actually found this video coincidentally because I was researching about making a cooler such as that... 

As far as I understand for the time being though cooler master doesnt offer this cooler with AM4 mountings 

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

Even if all went good and he indeed was able to run at 5.8Ghz all cores non stop without blue screens after tinkering with the settings (which he did not achieve) it still wouldnt been a sign of competitiveness.

It could be more of a promo attempt to keep Intel in the news, to keep the few interested. As long as they are in the news one way or another, its good PR. It doesnt matter really what its for, but keeping the intel name out there is just apart of marketing. Get the early adopters interested and the news makes the rounds and profits increase.

Should just call it the FX 9590 and get it over with, because that’s all this is.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Should just call it the FX 9590 and get it over with, because that’s all this is.

That would not be fair for the FX 9590 because everyone could get one with a water cooler at a competitive price (compared getting the die only package and then buying the same water AIO cooler separately) and the speeds were guaranteed 

Here they want to push you pay more to get a "golden sample" and pay like 300+$ extra for the exotic (but admittedly cool ) AIO so that you MAY BE able after tinkering with settings to get a stable OC that is going to be just marginally higher compared to what an average chip of the same sku could do with a "traditional" AIO 

And that's supposedly (according to the presentation) is intel trying to be "competitive" lol

It's nice to see a big companies making a real shot at peltier based cooling. I had this idea 20years ago but did not know how to go about the implementation

• 3 weeks later...

At 12:40 Linus says: "Over the course of an extended test we found that, while our system performance was on par with a regular triple AIO, our temps were significantly higher".

How can that be? I think they had to have a higher overclock on the cryo cooler if it was running hotter than a regular 360 aio. But then how was the system performance on par with aio? It doesn't make any sense to me that regular aio runs cooler. I mean, there's no way any aio can reach even 5.4GHz on 10900k (maybe if it's a golden sample), let alone 5.7. Plus it has everything that regular aio has, so it should be equal to aio at worst, not hotter. Seeing those sub zero temps on idle, that was so freaking awesome.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:58 AM, NickHeavy said:

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video! Learn more about the new Cryo Coolers at:

Cooler Master ML360 Sub-Zero Cyro Cooler at https://lmg.gg/kilO1

EK QuantumX Delta TEC at https://lmg.gg/Cohfg

Intel CPUs have been running a little hot under the collar lately, but that all changes with their new cryo cooler in partnership with EK and Cooler Master!

Look out for our upcoming stream stream with Intel on November 24! We'll provide more details soon at twitter.com/linustech

Buy Intel Core i9-10900K

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/j18Eo

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/hgvH0

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/U46ssZ

Buy Crucial Ballistix MAX Kit

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/069cFjr

Buy MasterLiquid ML360 (Non-Cyro)

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/x3W5F

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/kXPc88

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Wnjt

What was the exact setup Of the test bench computer that you guys (and girls) used?