Corsair RM850X + 2080 ti

PaniC595

Im about to upgrade to a RTX 2080 Ti from a GTX 980 Ti.

Do i need to power the 2080 Ti card with two separete 6+2 cables or does one 2x(6+2) cable work?

im abit lost here and id love to get some guidance 

Separate cables are always safer.  Any reason other than cable management you want to go a single 6+2 that comes with a Y splitter?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It is recommended to use two separate 6+2 PCIe cables to power a graphics card requiring them instead of using one and a splitter to divide the power load over more wires and prevent them from getting hot/overload a single cable. Your power supply (RM850x) should have come with more than enough 6+2 PCIe cables.

EDIT: I forgot to say, welcome to the forums!!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Separate cables are always safer.  Any reason other than cable management you want to go a single 6+2 that comes with a Y splitter?

okay thank you, im just making sure i dont fry anything since it's 4 years since i built this computer (and it was my first build)

3 minutes ago, PaniC595 said:

okay thank you, im just making sure i dont fry anything since it's 4 years since i built this computer (and it was my first build)

You won' fry anything.  Worst that will happen is it trips the PSU and the PC shuts down.  Either way, separate PCIE cables are always the preferred way :) Enjoy your stay on the forum!

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

It is recommended to use two separate 6+2 PCIe cables to power a graphics card requiring them instead of using one and a splitter to divide the power load over more wires and prevent them from getting hot/overload a single cable. Your power supply (RM850x) should have come with more than enough 6+2 PCIe cables.

okay thank you! in the picture is my current setup (dont mind the dust) i think its an single 6+2 cable with an Y splitter but  im just making sure i dont fry anything since it's 4 years since i built this computer (and it was my first build).

980ti.jpg

Currently using my Titan Xp on a single cable, the 2080 ti would be a similar story. Any high quality PSU can handle daisy chain connectors off a single cable for a demanding GPU, and you should only be using a high end PSU on a 2080ti anyway. With the RMX it would be no problem to use a single cable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It doesn't hurt to run 2 cables. I'd just run a cable for each 8-pin header, just to be safe.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, PaniC595 said:

okay thank you! in the picture is my current setup (dont mind the dust) i think its an single 6+2 cable with an Y splitter but  im just making sure i dont fry anything since it's 4 years since i built this computer (and it was my first build).

980ti.jpg

If it doesn't work, you'll definitely know hahaha.  It won't destroy anything so no real worries there.