Do I get I 165 herts 1080p monitor or 144 hertz 1440p monitor with a 2070 super?

TheElDougo

I want a new monitor and want to know if I should go super high refresh 1080p or high refresh 1440p with my card. I dont plan on upgrading any time soon.

165 isn't really any different from 144. I recommend 1440p 144Hz so you can upgrade your GPU in the future and see the difference. The 2070 super is a bit much for 1080p

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1440p/144hz definitely.  The bump in resolution is pretty nice if it's a 27" display.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Like the others have said get a 1440p monitor.  Now about the 144hz deal eh monitors that support that often have TN panels and so you are giving up image quality.  Before you buy think about that. Do you really want a far worse looking gaming screen for more fps?

Welcome to the forums!!!

I would rather go with a 1440 144hz panel as the picture clarity will be much better than 1080 and as others said, the difference between 144hz and 165hz is negligible. I personally don't see a difference between 120hz and 144hz, same thing. I love my VA panel monitor and actually prefer VA over IPS. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, idontlikephysx said:

Like the others have said get a 1440p monitor.  Now about the 144hz deal eh monitors that support that often have TN panels and so you are giving up image quality.  Before you buy think about that. Do you really want a far worse looking gaming screen for more fps?

Almost universally any decent 1440p/144hz monitors are IPS these days.  Even 4 years ago when I bought my XB271HU/PG279Q.

6 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Almost universally any decent 1440p/144hz monitors are IPS these days.  Even 4 years ago when I bought my XB271HU/PG279Q.

Anyway OP should make sure of what they are buying.  Btw when I looked for monitors recently for a week you would not believe how 144hz monitors I came across  that had TN panels.  Boat loads.  However let me say searching again even just on Newegg I found enough selection of IPS and other variants that were not TN panels.

1 minute ago, idontlikephysx said:

Not affordable ones.  Anyway OP should make sure of what they are buying.  Btw when I looked for monitors recently for a week you would not believe how 144hz monitors I came across  that had TN panels.  Boat loads.

By absolute volume TN panels will always have the most models.  Let OP decide his budget cos none was mentioned.

7 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

By absolute volume TN panels will always have the most models.  Let OP decide his budget cos none was mentioned.

If possible, could you point me in the direction of any monitors around the $300 U.S range. I don't know much about monitors but I don't want something that is absolute garbage.

10 minutes ago, TheElDougo said:

If possible, could you point me in the direction of any monitors around the $300 U.S range. I don't know much about monitors but I don't want something that is absolute garbage.

RTings has a pretty good monitor recommendation list and according to them the AOC CQ27G1 is the go to monitor for under $300, 1440p and 144hz on a VA panel.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/gaming-monitors-under-300#recommendation_159400

37 minutes ago, TheElDougo said:

I want a new monitor and want to know if I should go super high refresh 1080p or high refresh 1440p with my card. I dont plan on upgrading any time soon.

depending on the gpu u have, if you can run 1440p go for it. my friend has it on 165 hertz and it is so fucking clean!

personally i'll be buying the Dell S3220DGF wich is one of the best (if not the best) monitor at the 300-400 dollar price point and it is so qualitative! 32 inch + 1440p + 165 hertz is AMAZING. my friend has it

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

RTings has a pretty good monitor recommendation list and according to them the AOC CQ27G1 is the go to monitor for under $300, 1440p and 144hz on a VA panel.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/gaming-monitors-under-300#recommendation_159400

I’ve heard of that but it is sold out an the cheapest one on amazon is over 400

Just now, TheElDougo said:

I’ve heard of that but it is sold out an the cheapest one on amazon is over 400

That is indeed a big oof.  Isn't Black Friday/Cyber Monday around the corner?  Could get a deal then.