Thinking of buying new gaming laptop; I want it to last a long time

Hi there!

Recently I've been thinking of upgrading my laptop, as my mid 2012 MacBook Pro is kind of old now...

I want a gaming laptop, and I want it to be really reliable, I want it to last.

These are the requirements:

1TB SSD - preferably NVMe

6 cores minimum - preferably 8 cores (AMD or Intel, doesn't matter to me)

RTX 2060 minimum - preferably RTX 2070

16GB RAM - I am a high RAM user, so if I want more, I'll buy this Crucial Ballistix SO-DIMM here

15" display - preferably 4K 60Hz, but 1080p 144Hz+ is okay

Thin - doesn't need to be as thin as a new MacBook Pro, but just not thicker than my 2012 MacBook Pro

Not too gamer-ey (RGB is just fine with me though) - Something like the Gigabyte Aero

$2500 CAD maximum - preferably $1900

reason for a laptop?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

7 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

reason for a laptop?

Likely the same reason anyone else wants one, portability.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Honestly, the reason I ended up giving up on gaming laptops was because I found that reliability is something that you inherently give up with a gaming laptop. I've owned probably 5 different gaming laptops and not one was even close to reliable, all from different brands and price ranges. And all of my family and friends seem to have similar experience. 

I'm not saying that all gaming laptops are inherently bad, but every since I stopped buying gaming laptops they have lasted me *way* longer and been much more reliable. I will pretty much never buy another one unless I absolutely have to. 

Maybe an option to consider would be to buy a none gaming laptop, one with a decent processor that meats your other requirements, but instead get an external GPU? I don't know anyone who has one so I have no experience with how they work. But the concept seems interesting. Probably a bit more pricey than a gaming laptop and obviously you lose the ability to game on the go really. 

7 hours ago, Louie Friesen said:

Hi there!

Recently I've been thinking of upgrading my laptop, as my mid 2012 MacBook Pro is kind of old now...

I want a gaming laptop, and I want it to be really reliable, I want it to last.

These are the requirements:

1TB SSD - preferably NVMe

6 cores minimum - preferably 8 cores (AMD or Intel, doesn't matter to me)

RTX 2060 minimum - preferably RTX 2070

16GB RAM - I am a high RAM user, so if I want more, I'll buy this Crucial Ballistix SO-DIMM here

15" display - preferably 4K 60Hz, but 1080p 144Hz+ is okay

Thin - doesn't need to be as thin as a new MacBook Pro, but just not thicker than my 2012 MacBook Pro

Not too gamer-ey (RGB is just fine with me though) - Something like the Gigabyte Aero

$2500 CAD maximum - preferably $1900

I'm gonna get a ton of flak for this but what about a Razer laptop? You might have to swap the default SSD for one bigger, but they're built solid enough and meet your other requirements. I know the Internet has agreed that Razer is nothing but overpriced and colorful garbage, but in my experience they've been top notch. IDK, something to consider at least.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:38 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

I'm gonna get a ton of flak for this but what about a Razer laptop? You might have to swap the default SSD for one bigger, but they're built solid enough and meet your other requirements. I know the Internet has agreed that Razer is nothing but overpriced and colorful garbage, but in my experience they've been top notch. IDK, something to consider at least.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:06 PM, eeeee1 said:

reason for a laptop?

I travel a lot

On 11/7/2020 at 8:25 AM, Abyssiensis said:

How long do you want it to last? My current MSI has lasted 6 years.

At least 5 years. I read on PCMag that if you maintain it well (which I would), that it could last up to 10 years.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Louie Friesen said:

$2500 CAD maximum

Need good battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 11/9/2020 at 8:22 PM, genexis_x said:

Need good battery life?

Preferably. Around 5 hours or more would be nice. My current old MacBook Pro's battery is trash, so pretty much anything is an upgrade.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Louie Friesen said:

I want it to be really reliable, I want it to last.

Hmm then you shouldn't be looking at gaming laptops...business laptop is better if reliability is your main priority, however good specs come with a price...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Hey man, Lenovo just released what I think is a decent laptop for you; T15g.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T15g/p/WMD00000430

i7 6 Core

RTX 2070MQ - 2080MQ (but at 80 watts)

10 Hours of battery life

It's a thinkpad laptop, so it's durable as hell and has interchangeable components for long term repairs. I just ordered a T15g, and intend on using it as a desktop replacement for probably the next 6-7 years (which is where my current lenovo is at).

Ofcourse it's stupid level pricey... Got mine for 2800 CAD with tax and all.

If you want a cheaper laptop with the same specs and battery... I'd point you towards the Aero 15 or the MSI GS66. Both portable with big batteries. Ofcourse they won't have the support, replacement parts, or build quality thinkpads are known for...

Edited by DAXTER619
Changed american link to canadian

16 hours ago, DAXTER619 said:

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T15g/p/WMD00000430

i7 6 Core

10 Hours of battery life

It's a thinkpad laptop, so it's durable as hell and has interchangeable components for long term repairs. I just ordered a T15g, and intend on using it as a desktop replacement for probably the next 6-7 years (which is where my current lenovo is at).

If you want a cheaper laptop with the same specs and battery... I'd point you towards the Aero 15 or the MSI GS66. Both portable with big batteries. Ofcourse they won't have the support, replacement parts, or build quality thinkpads are known for...

Those are Canadian $$$ right?

17 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Hmm then you shouldn't be looking at gaming laptops...business laptop is better if reliability is your main priority, however good specs come with a price...

I want to be able to play games on it (desktop RX 580/GTX 1060 equivalent or better graphics).

16 hours ago, DAXTER619 said:

i7 6 Core

10 Hours of battery life

That laptop looks really good. I'll definitely consider it along with the Aero 15. 

Just got one question: What's that red thing in the middle of the keyboard?

1 hour ago, Louie Friesen said:

That laptop looks really good. I'll definitely consider it along with the Aero 15. 

Just got one question: What's that red thing in the middle of the keyboard?

A trackpad replacement. Some people swear by it and it really does make typing faster (since you don't have to move your hands as much). I prefer it when on the move, but when at home, a mouse beats it imo.

1 hour ago, Louie Friesen said:

Those are Canadian $$$ right?

Yep, CAD

18 hours ago, DAXTER619 said:

A trackpad replacement. Some people swear by it and it really does make typing faster (since you don't have to move your hands as much). I prefer it when on the move, but when at home, a mouse beats it imo.

Yep, CAD

What would be the longevity difference between the Thinkpad and the Aero?

3 hours ago, Louie Friesen said:

What would be the longevity difference between the Thinkpad and the Aero?

Thinkpads are built extremely robust. The T15g is thick, has a roll cage, is spill proof (has drainage holes for water), made to be serviced, will eventually have tons of replacement parts (since thinkpad is a business-class notebook), and Lenovo customer support is top notch. If you get the 3 year warranty (150 CAD for me), they will send a tech to your home within a week to fix any issues (happened with my old Y50, tech replaced entire cooling system. Took 2 days from complaint to fix).

As for the Aero:

That's not to say the thinkpad is error free. I'm just saying that are historically known to have robust build quality and excellent customer support.

On 11/12/2020 at 2:04 PM, DAXTER619 said:

Thinkpads are built extremely robust. The T15g is thick, has a roll cage, is spill proof (has drainage holes for water), made to be serviced, will eventually have tons of replacement parts (since thinkpad is a business-class notebook), and Lenovo customer support is top notch. If you get the 3 year warranty (150 CAD for me), they will send a tech to your home within a week to fix any issues (happened with my old Y50, tech replaced entire cooling system. Took 2 days from complaint to fix).

As for the Aero:

That's not to say the thinkpad is error free. I'm just saying that are historically known to have robust build quality and excellent customer support.

How about the Lenovo Legion 7i?

The config I was thinking of was:

i7-10750H

RTX 2070 Max-Q

16GB 2933MHz

1TB PCIe SSD

15.6" 1080p IPS 144Hz

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/lenovo-legion-7/p/81YT002TUS

Or the Alienware M15 R3?

My dad had a 2001 Dell Inspiron 6000 that still runs to this day, so I'd guess that an Alienware would also last long?

What I was thinking of:

i7-10750H

RTX 2070 Super

16GB 2666MHz

1TB PCIe SSD

15.6" 1080p (not sure if I'd get 144Hz or 300Hz)

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops/new-alienware-m15-r3-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m15-r3-laptop/navm15r3_s06e?view=configurations&configurationid=46a899eb-1430-497a-8d47-b6af7281de47