Razer's new non gaming laptop

Sudarstark

It's not a perfect ultrabook by 2020 standards I guess...we all have different needs/preferences but I'd honestly want the ff before paying such a high (very high imo) premium on such:
>AMD Renoir/Cezanne with USB 4 of course
>Non-soldered memory 
>an extra M.2 SSD slot
>14" 16:10 screen (even if it means a slightly larger footprint)
>At least a 60 Wh battery
>proven QC so that there will be less reports about them breaking just outside the warranty period
among a few other things...

I don't know, probably just dreaming haha

2 hours ago, EJMB said:

It's not a perfect ultrabook by 2020 standards I guess...we all have different needs/preferences but I'd honestly want the ff before paying such a high (very high imo) premium on such:
>AMD Renoir/Cezanne with USB 4 of course
>Non-soldered memory 
>an extra M.2 SSD slot
>14" 16:10 screen (even if it means a slightly larger footprint)
>At least a 60 Wh battery
>proven QC so that there will be less reports about them breaking just outside the warranty period
among a few other things...

I don't know, probably just dreaming haha

USB4 has potential issues. I am personally not so certain USB4 will happen without big problems.  USB4 has thunderbolt3 in it which takes pcie lanes all by itself and requires complex and weird implementation because of it.  Intel developed thunderbolt and actually withdrew from the USB standards committee in disgust, choosing to implement its own thunderbolt4 which is more or less just thunderbolt 3 but with beefed up requirements. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

USB4 has potential issues. I am personally not so certain USB4 will happen without big problems.  USB4 has thunderbolt3 in it which takes pcie lanes all by itself and requires complex and weird implementation because of it.  Intel developed thunderbolt and actually withdrew from the USB standards committee in disgust, choosing to implement its own thunderbolt4 which is more or less just thunderbolt 3 but with beefed up requirements. 

I can't wait until USB, Intel, and the rest of the tech world agrees to a decent standard. We're been making progress with usb-c being a decent connector, but confusing as hell to navigate with all the different things it can and can't support.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

I can't wait until USB, Intel, and the rest of the tech world agrees to a decent standard. We're been making progress with usb-c being a decent connector, but confusing as hell to navigate with all the different things it can and can't support.

I agree with both of you...I just want everything to be easily compatible with everything haha

On 11/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, Bombastinator said:

Two attempts to move from razor hate to Apple hate.  How about fruit fly hate?  Nobody likes having fruit flies. 

the hell is a fruit fly

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, SlimyPython said:

the hell is a fruit fly

Little tiny flies that lay eggs in fruit or poop.  They like both the fruit bowl and the cat box.  Becomes a real problem.  They’re extremely good fliers even compared to other flies because they have outsized “gyroscope wings”.  They’re also extremely handy for doing genetic experimentation so a great deal about them is well known.  
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef621

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

BUT WHY NO FUCKING RYZEN 7 OPTION, I WANT A LAPTOP, NOT A HOTPLATE

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 11/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, Sudarstark said:

Summary

Razer launched their new Razerbook 13 laptop that is focused on productivity.

There is a design change

It comes with a 16:10 aspect ratio display with fhd+ or uhd both at 60 hz with touch optional. 

You get a 11th Gen i5 and i7. All of them are evo certified.

My thoughts

It's actually nice that razer is giving more options. I would love to see a 16:10 display on their stealth and blade lineup.

Source:https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/5/21549504/razer-book-13-laptop-intel-tiger-lake-screen-price

Don’t see why you’d get this over a MacBook tbh. Especially the new ARM ones if they’re as good in reviews as they are on paper 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

38 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Don’t see why you’d get this over a MacBook tbh. Especially the new ARM ones if they’re as good in reviews as they are on paper 

The Razerbook would be a much better value if there was a Ryzen 7 option, but I'd still choose the razer over an ARM laptop, because the razer laptop has x86 support so I can boot Windows or Linux on it, it has better port selection, eGPU support, and the SSD is replaceable on a M.2 slot.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Razerbook would be a much better value if there was a Ryzen 7 option, but I'd still choose the razer over an ARM laptop, because the razer laptop has x86 support so I can boot Windows or Linux on it, it has better port selection, eGPU support, and the SSD is replaceable on a M.2 slot.

With leaked benchmarks though the Max would be more powerful, you wouldn’t need an eGPU, there’s Rosetta 2 for x86 apps and personally wondering if you could run windows for arm on it. And for the price difference you could upgrade the storage on the air 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 11/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Sudarstark said:

Summary

Razer launched their new Razerbook 13 laptop that is focused on productivity.

There is a design change

It comes with a 16:10 aspect ratio display with fhd+ or uhd both at 60 hz with touch optional. 

You get a 11th Gen i5 and i7. All of them are evo certified.

My thoughts

It's actually nice that razer is giving more options. I would love to see a 16:10 display on their stealth and blade lineup.

Source:https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/5/21549504/razer-book-13-laptop-intel-tiger-lake-screen-price

If I may pop in it looks like an answer to MSI, which recently has refreshed their prestige lineup and changed the logo a little bit. To me it looks a little bit like HP logo TBH:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/3/21418451/msi-summit-series-prestige-modern-announced-specs

In terms of Razer - their notebooks look a lot alike Macbook Air :) Though you pay for the specs not JUST for the brand.

This does look like a sexy laptop I'll give it that. I mean for $1,199 it's an ultrabook, what do you expect? Just the word "ultrabook" gives the OEM the ability to increase the price $300. I assume it's also built out of really nice materials. It's not too far out of range of a Dell XPS or a MacBook Pro.

But I don't think Razer did itself any favors by releasing a laptop now when Zen2 mobile will most likely outperform Tiger Lake, and Apple comes out with their M1 chip which blows most if not all of Intel's laptop solution out of the water. And assuming AMD follows the same roadmap as they did in 2019/2020, we could expect Zen3 mobile in H1 of 2021, so it will quickly be lapped by much better silicon.

I hear Razer laptops have bad QC, is their support also bad?

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Razerbook would be a much better value if there was a Ryzen 7 option, but I'd still choose the razer over an ARM laptop, because the razer laptop has x86 support so I can boot Windows or Linux on it

It's not like you can't dualboot on an ARM-based system. It's just that most ARM implementations have a locked bootloader, and it looks like Apple Silicon isn't going to change that. I think they said they only external volume booting you can do is with another macOS version, like 10.16 vs 10.17.

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

eGPU support

Is eGPU support really even all that? Do you get bottlenecked by the TB3 connection when you use Big Navi or Ampere?

I think personally it would be much better to just invest in a decent sub $1000 PC and invest in making your home network much better for cloud gaming with Parsec and the likes. 

45 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's not like you can't dualboot on an ARM-based system. It's just that most ARM implementations have a locked bootloader, and it looks like Apple Silicon isn't going to change that. I think they said they only external volume booting you can do is with another macOS version, like 10.16 vs 10.17.

Is eGPU support really even all that? Do you get bottlenecked by the TB3 connection when you use Big Navi or Ampere?

I think personally it would be much better to just invest in a decent sub $1000 PC and invest in making your home network much better for cloud gaming with Parsec and the likes. 

Is egpu support really all that?  Yes. Especially for Mac minis.  If it was a choice between more battery life and egpu support I would have taken egpu support.  One of apples biggest issues is their craptacular gpu issues.  They often Max at the midrange, at the prices that charge for them are unbelievable.  Sure egpu suck, but frequently it’s the only way to run something at all.  For a while the fastest Apple you could get for some applications was a maxed out Mac mini  with a vega56 in an egpu box.