Pc build for programming (future gaming) - Recommendations needed on an emergency basis

Budget (including currency): 900

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Programming, games, light content creation (Screen record and edit).

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): No peripherals needed except for a surge protector. Running a 3440x1440(60Hz) display and plan to get a 2k 16:9 display in the future to use in conjunction (Potrait for programming). I want to buy in the next 48 hours since my laptop is giving problems and I have work to do.

Existing setup - MSI cs62 7QL (Laptop) - Intel Core i7 7500U, 12gb ram, Nvidia 940mx graphics, 1080p screen, 1tb Samsung 860 evo ssd.

So I've a laptop (MSI cs62 7QL) which I use for my school, mainly for programming, some games (mostly fps, Gtav), edit videos as part of assignments (screen record and edit). I've been having problems with it since April 2020. I get BSODs (Windows 10) with the errors pointing towards driver issues/ ram/HDD/ corrupt system files. I've run many different tests out there and couldn't solve the issue. This issue keeps popping up every now and  then and as a prevention I've swapped the internal Hitachi HDD to Samsung 860 evo and the problems didn't show up for a while. BSODs keep popping up, but it's not as bad as it used to be. But sometimes they show up when I'm working on an assignment and the deadline is near. So I've decided to build a custom desktop PC to achieve stability and just work doesn't have to worry about problems. I mostly use Windows 10 pro but also use Linux via WSL2. 

With the custom build I'm thinking about getting a 1Tb SSD and partitioning it to dual boot Windows 10 pro and Ubuntu. So the parts that I've chosen are as follows. The criteria for choosing them is below them.

Processor - Intel core i7 10700 (I don't overclock)

Motherboard - Asus H470-Plus/CSM

Ram- Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM (Single stick)

SSD - Samsung 860 evo 1Tb

Case - Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh/ Fractal design Meshify C

Power supply - Seasonic Focus GX-750 80+ Gold

Surge protector - Not yet decided, please recommend one (I'm looking at Belkin or APC)

The thought process behind choosing this processor is that it has integrated graphics and can output, wherein going with a Ryzen (mostly) should be paired with a graphics card which I don't have a budget for now. Also going with a high end processor is necessary for me since I run multiple VMs and develop web apps on Apache tomcat, also have to stream video during class hours and present as well sometimes, not to mention 30 or more browser tabs that I open sometimes. I said I game as well and since I don't have the budget now I'll get a graphics card later. The ram is nothing fancy and I've used Kingston ram in the past and it didn't give me any problems so I just leaned towards it. The choice of SSD is same as well that it's a well known brand and have good stability. I just want to have cool internals and am looking at a case which has good air flow, I don't care for fancy internals or RGB. I went with a Seasonic power supply since they are a reputable brand and are known to make good PSUs, going 750W gives me some headroom when I want to upgrade down the line with a good graphics card (I'm looking at RTX 3080 or RX 6800XT).

I'm looking for recommendations and suggestions on my build here and any help is highly appreciated. The motherboard is something that I haven't done a lot of research on. Also alternatively I'm leaning towards a Core i9 9900k since it's on sale in Micro center. If you want to recommend a motherboard (or any other parts) for any of these builds or for a completely new set of parts please consider if it's available (motherboard) in Micro center (Chicago) since I can bundle them and get a discount. Thank you for your time.

well i would say you wait until november 5th amd is selling new cpus and the price of current nes is likely to drop and you might be able to fit a better ryzen cpu with a cheap gpu

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well i would say you wait until november 5th amd is selling new cpus and the price of current nes is likely to drop and you might be able to fit a better ryzen cpu with a cheap gpu

Yeah I considered that but the Ryzen 7 which is going to launch is at $449 and on top of that gpu, I don't know if it will fit my budget.

Just now, ms811 said:

Yeah I considered that but the Ryzen 7 which is going to launch is at $449 and on top of that gpu, I don't know if it will fit my budget.

well you might not be able to use a current gen (ryzen 5000) cpu but the price of 3700/x will drop (intel might also drop their prices to compete with amd) so you might be able to score a 3700 

Regarding you Laptop, it is "Okay", as far as specs go. For programming and light gaming, More than enough, and Da vinci Resolve, an video editor can run on it very smoothly.

First of all, never over-kill, as this kills the entire purpose:

A Mid-High Range graphics is more than enough for GTA-V and any future heavier titles , A Rx-580 or Gtx 970 is a GREAT CHOICE under 100 USD.

For The cpu, always go AMD, as programming and future proof video editing and games are all covered in AMD's side of things. Don't go too crazy, however, a Ryzen 7 3rd gen Is a great value and choice for sub 300 usd.

I see by your memory specs, that you are going 3200 MHZ or so, and this is another reason to go AMD, as they take full use of memory, unlike Intel, which doesn't allow unless you buy a K series chip, and a Z series motherboard, for no reason whatsoever. This leaves a huge amount of performance on the table, which is stupid for anyone.

I suggest a AM4 platform, with a high end board because you have a big enough budget and also that gives a lot of benefits, more io and higher quality byproducts.

A min 650 watts psu is required, 80+ gold for better efficiency. I don't know much about psus and Cases in this regard, asking others will help.

Nvme 250 gig and sata ssd 1 tb, because you have the Budget and it will help a lot in editing in Da Vinci Resolve.

You can construct a good list for this budget, using a good idea of the aforementioned list above

BTW Mahyar My fav Linux Distro is Manjaro

well you might not be able to use a current gen (ryzen 5000) cpu but the price of 3700/x will drop (intel might also drop their prices to compete with amd) so you might be able to score a 3700 

What would be a GPU which is capable enough to run 3440x1440 at 60Hz and bang for a buck if I want to go the route of Ryzen? Any recommendations?

3 minutes ago, ms811 said:

What would be a GPU which is capable enough to run 3440x1440 at 60Hz and bang for a buck if I want to go the route of Ryzen? Any recommendations?

A ryzen 7 3700, is the best bang for the buck there is,coupled with a gtx 1650 super

Edited by Trandond7

4 minutes ago, ms811 said:

gt 1030

Just now, mahyar said:

gt 1030

just for a display output if you do gaming a 1650 super or used gtx1060 is the way to go

Ok

9 minutes ago, Trandond7 said:

A ryzen 7 3700, is the best bang for the buck there is,coupled with a gtx 1650 super

Ok, thank you.

just for a display output if you do gaming a 1650 super or used gtx1060 is the way to go

Ok, thank you.

Which motherboard would you prefer if you go with a Ryzen 3700x?

* thread cleaned *

If you're not interested in helping, then please avoid replying and move on.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !