HD 6XX vs M50x

ImGodz

Hi, I'm kind of new to high end audio gear, and I'm trying to upgrade from my M50x, I was wondering if the HD 6XX would be a significant upgrade and if so, would I need an amp to run them?

I'm looking for the most clarity in all the ranges(lows-mids-highs), On some review I saw that the HD 6XX as less bass then the M50x, but I allready find that there is not much bass in the M50x.

Is there any other headphones that do the low end beautifuly without giving up on clarity of the others ranges (mids and highs)?

Thanks!

the HD 6XX is great and yes they do need a amp

probably something from fiio

and open back headphone don't have much bass

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, sub68 said:

the HD 6XX is great and yes they do need a amp

probably something from fiio

and open back headphone don't have much bass

The 6xx are quite a bit bassy once you do run them through an amp, in my experience with them.

I would never buy M50x for enjoying music. They're great as monitor headphones (for recording or mixing), but closed back headphones will never give you a sound experience as complete as open ones.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

The 6xx are quite a bit bassy once you do run them through an amp, in my experience with them.

true with a amp

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I would never buy M50x for enjoying music. They're great as monitor headphones (for recording or mixing), but closed back headphones will never give you a sound experience as complete as open ones.

I never like the M50x but they are great monitors

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert or super educated in the area.

The 6xx's are open back and like just about any open back headphones they will suffer in the bass frequencies. But the open back gives you a lot more clarity in the mids and the highs as you don't get the reverb from the back shell. I own a set of HD 6XX's and I love em. I don't listen to many electronic music artists as I am mostly a metal guy but in metal I can pick out each and every pluck of a bass guitar. Like right now I am listening to My Last Serenade by Killswitch Engage which has everything tuned to Drop C which is low enough tuning that a bass guitar string will scratch against the frets so you're probably hitting around 30-40Hz on the low end and I can distinguish the super low notes with no issues. 

You will never get the shaking you get out of something like a pair of properly tuned 12in car subs but the clarity is undeniable especially once you get an half decent amp/dac on them.

Also try to find a buddy who has a calibrated microphone and you can tune your headphones with pink noise for even better experience because you can get every frequency tuned to be at the exact same db.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

21 minutes ago, ImGodz said:

Hi, I'm kind of new to high end audio gear, and I'm trying to upgrade from my M50x, I was wondering if the HD 6XX would be a significant upgrade and if so, would I need an amp to run them?

I'm looking for the most clarity in all the ranges(lows-mids-highs), On some review I saw that the HD 6XX as less bass then the M50x, but I allready find that there is not much bass in the M50x.

Is there any other headphones that do the low end beautifuly without giving up on clarity of the others ranges (mids and highs)?

Thanks!

To give a specific answer to your question, after having both the 6xx and the M40x (M50x's younger brother) on, the M50X are not very bassy at all. Since they're monitor headphones they aim for a very flat sound profile, but I found that the M40x were very biased toward the mid-highs.

So you'll probably get a better bass experience out of the 6xx provided you amplify them correctly. If they're not amped, you'll lose clarity and volume in the mid-bass and bass.

I am by no means an expert, this was my experience having access to both.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

How well can you tolerate the treble o. The m50x when loud?

Pretty good I would say.

2 hours ago, ImGodz said:

Pretty good I would say.

How much money are you willing to spend in total for the upgrade?

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

How much money are you willing to spend in total for the upgrade?

500$ CAD, so around 380$ USD

That's a pretty good budget . 6xx isn't a headphone I would consider for bass but doesn't sacrifice too much on the mids and treble performance personally. I would take a look at the akg k371, meze 99 classic . If you get an amp. The dekoni blue isn't bad but the the t60rp is much  better due to it's more balanced sound signature. For open back the DT 990 isn't bad but the midrange can be a bit pulled back. 

On 11/3/2020 at 3:37 PM, sub68 said:

I never like the M50x but they are great monitors

They're pretty crappy monitors.

Having bass-heavy headphones will make literally all of your work bass-light if you try to EQ it towards the frequency response of the M50X.

For cheap monitor headphones, the Sony MDR-7506/1 are near enough the flattest FR pair you can get.

or you could just get some Genelecs

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Having bass-heavy headphones will make literally all of your work bass-light if you try to EQ it towards the frequency response of the M50X.

For cheap monitor headphones, the Sony MDR-7506/1 are near enough the flattest FR pair you can get.

Yeah I would go with the sony 

I just messed up when I posted that

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

Yeah I would go with the sony 

I just messed up when I posted that

Haha, no issue.

We're all here to learn :)

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

18 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

or you could just get some Genelecs

These days the m50x retail at priced so high due to demand in my area I can buy a msr7 for like $40 more or the m60 for $20 more and at that point might as well get the better of the 2 

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Haha, no issue.

We're all here to learn :)

Yep 

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

These days the m50x retail at priced so high due to demand in my area I can buy a msr7 for like $40 more or the m60 for $20 more and at that point might as well get the better of the 2 

Unless you want alot a bass, the M50X are stupidly overpriced. Even then, you just save some money and get the M40X. They're a fairly pointless headphone IMO.

Just now, Derkoli said:

Unless you want alot a bass, the M50X are stupidly overpriced. Even then, you just save some money and get the M40X. They're a fairly pointless headphone IMO.

Even then the CAL! Are cheaper more enjoyable better quality bass set of headphones and if your in the US meze 99 noir or neo if you stretch the budget out or even the one more triple driver over ears

Hi guys, I have allready made a choice for my headphones, I will buy the Dt 880 (600 ohms).

If you would like to help I have made a new post 

I really appreciate that you are trying to help me!