8 or 12 cores for gaming PC

So I'm planning on building a PC and going start streaming in the near future and I was looking at going with ryzen 5800 vs 5900 and I was wondering would I benefit going with a higher core count. I planning on running a decent amount of software and going be playing mostly AAA titles and some MMO. 

3 minutes ago, justinislit said:

I planning on running a decent amount of software

that can mean a lot of things, but strictly for gaming a 12 core will not improve performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

that can mean a lot of things, but strictly for gaming a 12 core will not improve performance.

I was planning on using OBS Studio for mostly streaming and I'm planning on using for college witch included using CAD,Adobe Premier pro, and Sketchup. I was looking at 12 cores because I knew In the future I would be doing some heavy projects but I heard 8 cores should be enough.

1 minute ago, justinislit said:

I was planning on using OBS Studio for mostly streaming and I'm planning on using for college witch included using CAD,Adobe Premier pro, and Sketchup. I was looking at 12 cores because I knew In the future I would be doing some heavy projects but I heard 8 cores should be enough.

12 cores would be good if you are professional or semi-professional in these programs, but for school, a 5000 series 8 core will be quite a powerful CPU in its own right and would not be giving you a hard time for renders. I say worth the money saved to go with the 5800X.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, justinislit said:

So I'm planning on building a PC and going start streaming in the near future and I was looking at going with ryzen 5800 vs 5900 and I was wondering would I benefit going with a higher core count. I planning on running a decent amount of software and going be playing mostly AAA titles and some MMO. 

What is your typical upgrade cycle? 3 years between builds, 5 years, more? 

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What is your typical upgrade cycle? 3 years between builds, 5 years, more? 

Well this going be my first built but i try to upgrade my PC by every 3-5 years. 

32 minutes ago, justinislit said:

Well this going be my first built but i try to upgrade my PC by every 3-5 years. 

I'd personally say 8 cores will suffice for that sort of upgrade schedule. 

8 cores is great for gaming, but if you can get it just get the 12 core.

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium