Whats all this hype about :Curiosity – What's Inside the Cube?

I haven't played or heard about this game until it's new trailer was trending on YouTube couple of days back...

So any one following this game lately..tell if it's worth downloading this app?

It's nothing exciting really, you just tap cubes in order to destroy them, and you work with thousands of other people that are all tapping away at this cube to destroy layers. There are hundreds of layers, billions of cubes. It's just a social experiment. I don't know what stage it is at yet though, or if it's been completed... It's something different to do though when you're waiting around or on the bus.

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

It's nothing exciting really, you just tap cubes in order to destroy them, and you work with thousands of other people that are all tapping away at this cube to destroy layers. There are hundreds of layers, billions of cubes. It's just a social experiment. I don't know what stage it is at yet though, or if it's been completed... It's something different to do though when you're waiting around or on the bus.

hmm..well thanx..I guess i might gonna try it..  

Hmm, interesting concept for a game. I did some googling and I found someone's theory for the "secret" to be pretty interesting, similar to Folding@Home

The game devs did mention that users playing the game aren't just "picking away cubes"..."they're doing something else, something unimaginable".

Here is how it will go down. Bear with me, here.

The reason that Curiosity was costly to develop and maintain, was because not only were they simply building an interactive “click server” with a surprise at the end, like the wildly successful “Cow Clicker” thought experiment app, but 22Cans built a massive distributed cloud computing application.

You have basically been taking part in a sort of Enders Game, where your curious clicks- effectively, your cpu and gpu cycles- combined with those of millions of others, were used to crunch numbers to the benefaction of a prestigious British University’s research division. 22Cans was able to monetize those clicks and chips off of the block by being awarded a certain amount of funding, by being able to deliver a certain level of computing power per hour to them, which will be used towards the scientific enrichment of humankind, akin to Folding@Home.

22Cans will not be keeping any monies awarded for the borrowed computing power. They will be giving it away. To change the life of a young boy. Or perhaps, of many young boys.

Upon the final click you will be presented with a a touching video of one such young lad. You will be introduced to their life, their issues, and what opportunities the future may hold for them. You will be given instructions to access a secure, clandestine website. Upon reaching, an overload of metrics and monetary sums will be presented to you, along with instruction- without being too specific with names- on how the monies will be used. You will also be presented with an insane amount of information about the entities that contributed towards the final click.

You will also then be given a choice.

• Change the lives of many, anonymously, without the recipients’, the philanthropists’, or the charitable groups’ executing the benefactor’s instructions identities ever being revealed to the public. Somewhere, lives will be changed and given new opportunities, but you will be never be fully aware of it. You will never really know if it was for real.

• Allow all of the information to be revealed to the public. Will the recipients’ carnal knowledge of the nature of the experiment ruin its positive attributes and effectiveness?

• Pass the choice on to another contributor. Did you really deserve to make this choice for others? Every deferment is a chance for others to learn and see what you just saw, good or bad, but also risks jeopardizing what you feel is the right thing to do. If a certain number of deferments is reached, the choice will be voted on by quorum, by a reasonably large number of randomly selected participants, from all over the world. An opportunity for them to discuss and convene will be created.

• Be sworn into silence, while netting a small but meaningful mystery award, resetting the cube to generate more for those in need. An apropos, but cryptic message will appear on the screens of all contributors. You run the risk of losing participants, but have the reward of a larger impact on real lives.

• Shut the experiment down, nothing awarded to anyone, all monies refunded, for it is a monstrosity upon itself; this will cost you personally, as a limited amount of identifiable information about you will be released. Principle, over purpose.

You will have 22 seconds to choose before another contributor is presented with the choice.

Overlaying this will be the question of “What would you do, if your gaming could actually change the lives of others?”,

juxtaposed with some astonishing monetary amounts and other data points.

Once end game is reached, the architecture of the experiment will be revealed to the public, as well as a mission statement from Molyneux and 22Cans, about a new revolution in gaming (from he and crew) that engages both the player, but also the lives of others. Some will roll their eyes, others will be joyed, and for a significant many, some will be enraged at the audacity.

Molyneux will step away from his desk, pick up the phone, and upon your answering, quietly tell you that “philanthropy is truly a game of the Gods”, and promptly hang up. You will receive a signed box set of Molyneux’s God game titles, from Bullfrog days, to current. You will never open the box. You will never play them. You won’t sleep that night and you will reconsider the nature of your gaming and whether you just got played.

“Indeed.” Molyneux will clairvoyantly tweet.

A New Wave of emotional engagement in games will have commenced.

Source

This seems really  interesting, will need to read up!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Huh that's an interesting idea for what it's about.

I have it, I occasionally go on and have a tap, tend to leave random "Hi" drawn about the place and wait to see if someone will reply but never have seen a reply. Also seem to spend a lot of time removed shaft like objects with a couple of curves at one end, kids these days so orginal in the ideas of what draw for the world to see (Ok I admit it came to mind for me also but I didn't actually waste my time.)

I can't actually see how anyone could call this game fun, but it's an interesting way to waste time, I generally get frustrated when trying to build up the multiplier combo and end up not hitting the square I intended and loosing it all.