I'm worried about the RMA request I sent out for my Corsair PSU, I think they might reject it. Are they going to?

LordElites

Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze Certified Modular  (about one year old) 

I made a post yesterday about my pc because I had some problems with it, and people have concluded that my issue is my PSU and that I need to get an RMA. The thing is I tried to the fix the issue my self before I made the post by trying to clean the PSU, and I tired to open it and I think one of the screws had a sticker in it and I just put my screwdriver in it to unscrew the screw. I think I just broke my warranty according to corsair I can't remove stickers, but however I live in the U.S and I think its illegal for the company to reject my RMA request because I removed the sticker. The PSU was already not working properly before I even tried to open it up (which I never actually did, I just unscrewed the screws and put them back because I didn't know how to open the PSU). Some one told me when I request for the RMA put as little details as possible and don't even mention that I tried to clean it or open the PSU, just say its not working, I don't know why, I need a new PSU. So do you think Corsair will reject my RMA request based on this? 

It's the legal writing of the warranty that is designed to protect both you and them in the event of an issue that requires an RMA. The warranty will define what kind of coverage you have, and what actions will result in your losing your coverage. It also defines the length of the warranty and how long they guarantee the product will last. It's somewhat similar to insurance where the insurance company may or cover certain kinds of collateral under certain conditions. You can always choose to not buy a product if you do not agree with their warranty policies. I do think you still have a good chance at getting your RMA request passed, as I've smashed 2 of my corsair pro RGB wireless headset adapters and they replaced both. (dropped my laptop twice)

IIRC it's not legal in the US to deny a warranty because of that.

Like others have said, just tell them it's not working and you don't know why. It's their product, their responsibility to figure out why that is.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This will definitely be accepted. As you're in the USA, these warranty stickers that they put over the screws are unenforceable, so don't worry. Unless you physically broke something while opening the PSU, which you have said you didn't do, you're fine.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

39 minutes ago, LordElites said:

I tried to the fix the issue my self before I made the post by trying to clean the PSU

How dirty could a one year old PSU possibly be for it to need to be cleaned to work properly?  That doesn't even make sense.

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act allows users to open products that are user serviceable.  In other words, Dell can't void your warranty for upgrading RAM yourself.  Ford can't void your warranty for swapping out the alternator yourself.  Something like a computer power supply has no user serviceable parts.  It does not fall within this act.

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Like others have said, just tell them it's not working and you don't know why. It's their product, their responsibility to figure out why that is.

Actually they can. 

On the FTC Website, something people seem to ignore are the exceptions:

There are only two exceptions: 1) if the company provides the article or service to consumers for free; or 2) if the company gets a waiver from the FTC. Under 15 U.S.C. § 2302(c), the FTC may grant a waiver only if the company proves that “the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and the waiver is in the public interest.” Companies may, however, disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of unauthorized parts or service.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

How dirty could a one year old PSU possibly be for it to need to be cleaned to work properly?  That doesn't even make sense.

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act allows users to open products that are user serviceable.  In other words, Dell can't void your warranty for upgrading RAM yourself.  Ford can't void your warranty for swapping out the alternator yourself.  Something like a computer power supply has no user serviceable parts.  It does not fall within this act.

This maybe true, but you'll need a lawyer to make them follow that. At least with some companies. Corsair is usually very reasonable with their repairs so I wouldn't be too worried. 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes, exactly.

There is no legit reason why a customer should open their PSU or even have to since they aren't serviceable by the end users.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

This maybe true, but you'll need a lawyer to make them follow that. At least with some companies. Corsair is usually very reasonable with their repairs so I wouldn't be too worried. 

I'm not saying Corsair will or will not warranty the PSU.  That's not my place to say that, nor is it anyone else's that posts here.  

I'm simply pointing out that every product has an eternal warranty without conditions is a myth.

I used to work in the RMA department of two different computer firms.  All of the time I would get motherboards shipped in their retail box with just a label slapped on it.  Hard drives in envelopes.   I could get RAM in an envelope and it would be snapped in half.  When I would call the customer to tell them their warranty is void, they would always respond with something like "well.. it was defective in the first place, so it doesn't matter what condition it is in now".  Well.. I can't test it to see if it was really defective, can I?  And I certainly can't send this RAM back to Micron or whoever either.  So no soup for you.

6 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

It's the legal writing of the warranty that is designed to protect both you and them in the event of an issue that requires an RMA. The warranty will define what kind of coverage you have, and what actions will result in your losing your coverage. It also defines the length of the warranty and how long they guarantee the product will last. It's somewhat similar to insurance where the insurance company may or cover certain kinds of collateral under certain conditions. You can always choose to not buy a product if you do not agree with their warranty policies. I do think you still have a good chance at getting your RMA request passed, as I've smashed 2 of my corsair pro RGB wireless headset adapters and they replaced both. (dropped my laptop twice)

But the thing is I didn't really mention that I tried to open it or clean it, all I said that it was faulty, I don't know why, and I need a new  PSU.  But its good to know they won't probably enforce this rule. 

I don't know maybe it was the way I positioned the PSU, but to be honest it wasn't that dusty, I was just cleaning it because I was cleaning the rest of my pc, might as well clean the PSU while I'm at it right?

34 minutes ago, LordElites said:

I don't know maybe it was the way I positioned the PSU, but to be honest it wasn't that dusty, I was just cleaning it because I was cleaning the rest of my pc, might as well clean the PSU while I'm at it right?

You blow it out with canned air or a PC Blower, the blower is better however.

You don't have to open the unit up to do that.

Turn it fan down and blow through the vents.

Then Through the fan grill.

Done.

2 hours ago, LordElites said:

A dusty PSU doesn't fail because it's dusty.  Probably something else wrong with your PC.

6 hours ago, LordElites said:

But the thing is I didn't really mention that I tried to open it or clean it, all I said that it was faulty, I don't know why, and I need a new  PSU.  But its good to know they won't probably enforce this rule. 

Corsair's techs are neither blind nor dumb. They're going to notice that the warranty sticker has been punched through. I have no idea what that means for your RMA, but your "forgetting" to mention that you opened it does not cover you if they decide that you opening the PSU invalidates your warranty.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

17 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Corsair's techs are neither blind nor dumb. They're going to notice that the warranty sticker has been punched through. I have no idea what that means for your RMA, but your "forgetting" to mention that you opened it does not cover you if they decide that you opening the PSU invalidates your warranty.

So should i, Cancel the RMA request some how and make a new request detailing what I have done?