Should i continue using my new power supply?

Zev_7

I bought an EVGA 850 watt gold power supply and i had used my old corsair modular cables because they were flatter, and i also didnt connect the CPU connector correctly into the motherboard. When i powered it on it smelled like burn and i immediately turned off my PC. I then took it apart and checked every connection and nothing looked burned but upon further testing i found out that my two free hard drives were shot and the connectors smelled like burn. 

After correctly using the right cables, making sure it was plugged in, and checking the power supply to make sure there werent any burned capacitors, everything worked without flaw except for all of my motherboards FAN connectors as the controller seemed to no longer work. (high rpms without a way to control it so i bought an external fan controller) 

Only problem i am having now is that my PC is giving off a muted plastic smell from the CPU connector...though I'm not sure if its the entire unit as it doesn't really smell that strongly on the PSU unit itself.

Should i continue using my asus strix h370 F and PSU or should i buy a new motherboard and return the power supply to the reseller? 

6 minutes ago, 7even said:

i had used my old corsair modular cables because they were flatter

That's most likely your issue.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Sounds like you had a short. Some manufactures use a different pinout for cables, definitely don't use the power supply with the corsair cables.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

That's most likely your issue.

Should i continue to use the power supply though and motherboard or should i replace them both? I had already removed the corsair cables and its running OK now minus the damaged hdds, motherboard FAN headers, and smell of plastic.

Just now, 7even said:

Should i continue to use the power supply though and motherboard or should i replace them both? I had already removed the corsair cables and its running OK now minus the damaged hdds, motherboard FAN headers, and smell of plastic.

Depends what you broke.

I doubt you'll be able to return anything with user error such as this

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Depends what you broke.

I doubt you'll be able to return anything with user error such as this

PSU is functional and has been powering my system for over 24 Hours, but the motherboard definitely needs to be replaced as the FAN headers are unusable and smells like plastic. I could test the PSU to see if it smells after running it by itself but i don't think its broken. 

8 minutes ago, Zev_7 said:

PSU is functional and has been powering my system for over 24 Hours, but the motherboard definitely needs to be replaced as the FAN headers are unusable and smells like plastic. I could test the PSU to see if it smells after running it by itself but i don't think its broken. 

Likely your motherboard is fried

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Likely your motherboard is fried

I don't really have a lot of money to throw around and there's new PC hardware coming out in the coming months. Is it OK to use my motherboard like that? Replacing the board on the soon-to-be-dead 8th-9th gen platform doesn't seem like a smart choice atm, I could buy a new mb from amazon and return it but that's a hassle, so I'm a little stuck here.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Just now, Zev_7 said:

I don't really have a lot of money to throw around and there's new PC hardware coming out in the coming months. Is it OK to use my motherboard like that? Replacing the board on the soon-to-be-dead 8th-9th gen platform doesn't seem like a smart choice atm, I could buy a new mb from amazon and return it but that's a hassle, so I'm a little stuck here.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would do the latter or sell the CPU and buy into Ryzen

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they