2nd ever laptop

I got my 2nd ever laptop in the form of a dell inspiron m5040. It has windows 7 and I believe its around 10 years old. It has an AMD e-450 APU with Radeon HD graphics at 1.65GHz and 4GB of RAM. Im pretty sure thats not good for decent gaming as I've been wanting to get into PC gaming but don't have money to do so. Whats worth upgrading on this laptop or should I save up and buy something that can actually game? Any help is greatly appreciated

You won't be upgrading anything in a laptop that will be worth your time unfortunately

Most productive thing you can probably do is sell it for a few bucks 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Nothing really. To my knowledge the CPU is soldered so you can't change it meaning that you can't really do much about it. You're better saving at least 200-300$ to get something that can game.

2 minutes ago, KGohr2k19 said:

I got my 2nd ever laptop in the form of a dell inspiron m5040. It has windows 7 and I believe its around 10 years old. It has an AMD e-450 APU with Radeon HD graphics at 1.65GHz and 4GB of RAM. Im pretty sure thats not good for decent gaming as I've been wanting to get into PC gaming but don't have money to do so. Whats worth upgrading on this laptop or should I save up and buy something that can actually game? Any help is greatly appreciated

One does not simply upgrade a laptop except for like ram and poping in an SSD. Most laptop parts are non modular and very specific to the model and year and make of the specific laptop. Especially considering that most people should be staying at home when possible during this pandemic, I would say a used desktop would be the best budget option for most. 

6 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

the CPU is socketed so you can't change it

I think you mean soldered?

If it was socketed you would be able to change it (though you might have difficulty finding a compatible CPU)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

28 minutes ago, KGohr2k19 said:

I personally did use an E-350 (basically kind of the 'little brother' of E-450, it's only 50 MHz difference) with 3 GB of RAM since 2011 and it's not even a decent experience to game on it. It can only got Dota 2 at maximum 30-ish fps, with average of 15-20 fps, tried Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it won't even past 13 fps. Upgrading it won't help at all on gaming experience, unfortunately, except if you're just using it for normal laptop use cases THAN gaming. I rather to sell it than bother to game on it. Yes, you can still game on some old games, but the experience won't even be good at all as it's only a netbook APU.

If you wanna game, I suggest to get some secondhand PC if your budget's not much.

24 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

To my knowledge the CPU is socketed so you can't change it meaning that you can't really do much about it.

Well, some laptops (like one of the old ones) are actually got replaceable CPU and GPU but it's kind of very rare to find one now. I did stumble on an old Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge (can't remember) i5 laptop and one Pentium dual core and both CPU are actually replaceable.

Sorry to correct you, it's 'soldered' not 'socketed' if you meant the one that's non-replaceable CPU.

But in his case with E-450, it's definitely soldered, so yeah I agree he can't do anything to it.

17 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If it was socketed you would be able to change it (though you might have difficulty finding a compatible CPU)

AMD E-series are soldered, unfortunately.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

16 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

One does not simply upgrade a laptop except for like ram and poping in an SSD. Most laptop parts are non modular and very specific to the model and year and make of the specific laptop. Especially considering that most people should be staying at home when possible during this pandemic, I would say a used desktop would be the best budget option for most. 

To be clear OP I am not saying there is anything wrong with saving an old laptop from going to the landfill. If you are content with an older laptop than more power to you. I only suggested a tower style PC might be a better fit for you because you seem to want to game on a budget and that is were you get the most bang for the buck. My last daily driver for about 2 years was a 2010 ASUS laptop that I got for like 3$ on Craigslist and fixed up and I still use it from time to time. Maybe think about trying some emulators or maybe some classic PC games. Or you can check out LowSpecGamer on YouTube to try to get some newer games to run on your older hardware. Possibly the best investment when buying an older laptop is getting a quality charger (assuming it did not come with one) and a new battery, both of which should be cheaply obtainable on Amazon from third party manufacturers (just check the reviews before buying). Good luck PC padawan and have a great day!!

36 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Yeah, my brain's not fully functioning at the moment.