Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As AMD and nVidia get their products out, things are clearing up now for my new build.

 

I like to pick up a B550 motherboard. And I have ASUS in mind. However, I want to stay within budget, so I set eyes on the PRIME series.

 

My question is, apart from extra features that I might be missing from other higher end board, will all the functionalities remain?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, letsplaysims3 said:

As AMD and nVidia get their products out, things are clearing up now for my new build.

 

I like to pick up a B550 motherboard. And I have ASUS in mind. However, I want to stay within budget, so I set eyes on the PRIME series.

 

My question is, apart from extra features that I might be missing from other higher end board, will all the functionalities remain?

 

 

We're missing some information here. What features do you need? What exact motherboard are you looking at? What are you going to do with it? (Professional use/gaming/overclocking/...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Naijin said:

We're missing some information here. What features do you need? What exact motherboard are you looking at? What are you going to do with it? (Professional use/gaming/overclocking/...)

Gaming mainly. Maybe I will learn to so some realtime streaming cause it's AMD CPU.

 

The Prime B550M-A.

 

I don't need Wi-Fi. I just need 3 to 4 fan headers though. It would be a non rgb system I am planing for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I would recommend the asus b550 tuf.

the asus prime plus is bad in terms of vrm performance

the asus strix a, f and e are very good but quite expensive

You mean the VRM will be hotter than others or it is unstable, stability issue is my primary concern if there are any for the PRIME board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, letsplaysims3 said:

The Prime B550M-A.

 

Just now, letsplaysims3 said:

You mean the VRM will be hotter than others or it is unstable, stability issue is my primary concern if there are any for the PRIME board.

the vrms are quite bad on the prime-a. not only they will overheat, but they might not be able to power a more power hungry cpu.

i would only use the prime-a with a ryzen 3 and maybe a ryzen 5 at stock.

for ryzen 7 and above, get the tuf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, letsplaysims3 said:

Gaming mainly. Maybe I will learn to so some realtime streaming cause it's AMD CPU.

 

The Prime B550M-A.

 

I don't need Wi-Fi. I just need 3 to 4 fan headers though. It would be a non rgb system I am planing for.

What cpu will you be using in this motherboard? The Prime B550M-A has one of the lowest tier VRM's available. It is in the second-to-lowest tier, which isn't meant for a high-end cpu, have a look at the forum topic here

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

 

the vrms are quite bad on the prime-a. not only they will overheat, but they might not be able to power a more power hungry cpu.

i would only use the prime-a with a ryzen 3 and maybe a ryzen 5 at stock.

for ryzen 7 and above, get the tuf.

I'll probably going for the latest 5600X, should I put my bet on Asrock Steel Legend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

What cpu will you be using in this motherboard? The Prime B550M-A has one of the lowest tier VRM's available. It is in the second-to-lowest tier, which isn't meant for a high-end cpu, have a look at the forum topic here

I'll probably go for the latest 5600X. 

 

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the Prime 's potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boggy77 said:

that would be much better, yes.

Is Asus more lasting or Asrock?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, letsplaysims3 said:

Is Asus more lasting or Asrock?

If you compare the B550-M and the Asrock B550 Steel Legend, the Asrock is the clear winner and will probably last you longer. Much higher quality components than the Asus. It will also leave you more headroom for a future upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Naijin said:

If you compare the B550-M and the Asrock B550 Steel Legend, the Asrock is the clear winner and will probably last you longer. Much higher quality components than the Asus.

What about TUF vs Asrock?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, letsplaysims3 said:

What about TUF vs Asrock?

The Asus TUF B550 are also great choices. Also, have a look at the B550 Tomahawk as well, since you're looking at slightly more expensive boards.

If it has to be mATX though, I'd say go with the TUF B550M-Plus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

The Asus TUF B550 are also great choices. Also, have a look at the B550 Tomahawk as well, since you're looking at slightly more expensive boards.

If it has to be mATX though, I'd say go with the TUF B550M-Plus.

So the Tomahawk is even better than ROG STRIX if I go for the ATX form factor?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you look at the MSI x570 tomahawk?  Its about 200 dollars and you get pcie 4.0.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, letsplaysims3 said:

So the Tomahawk is even better than ROG STRIX if I go for the ATX form factor?

Comparing the Asus Strix B550-E vs MSI B550 Tomahawk, the Tomahawk is about the same in terms of VRMs. So that leaves it to aesthetics or personal preference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike848 said:

Did you look at the MSI x570 tomahawk?  Its about 200 dollars and you get pcie 4.0.

B550 motherboards also include PCIe 4.0. The B550 Tomahawk for example supports PCIe 4.0 for the first gpu and the top M.2 slot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Naijin said:

Comparing the Asus Strix B550-E vs MSI B550 Tomahawk, the Tomahawk is about the same in terms of VRMs. So that leaves it to aesthetics or personal preference.

Oh I see.

Looks like Tomahawk is also an option. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Mike848 said:

Did you look at the MSI x570 tomahawk?  Its about 200 dollars and you get pcie 4.0.

90% of B550 has PCIe 4.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, letsplaysims3 said:

Oh I see.

Looks like Tomahawk is also an option. Thanks!

I personally prefer the Tomahawk, since the Strix board has an overdone "gaming" aesthetic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

I personally prefer the Tomahawk, since the Strix board has an overdone "gaming" aesthetic. 

I am not a RGB fans, I can live with plain aesthetic, important things are the board works great

Link to post
Share on other sites

The MSI B550-A PRO has a solid VRM and is cheaper than the B550 Tomahawk. You also have the B550M Mortar if you want mATX. And the other MSI B550 boards such as the Gaming Edge, Gaming Plus and Gaming Carbon are also fine.

 

There is also the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (ATX).

Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×