What's the deal with Apple's new MagSafe?

crazzp

After watching the Apple's reveal of the new magsafe, I was amused at the idea. I mean it's just a wireless charger which magnetize. But youtube reviews came raving about it. 

MKBHD mentioned about wallet cases where people would take off the wallet cases to charge (because it doesn't charge when it's on) and then put back when they're done charging. That's some mental gymnastic. I've wirelessly charged my Samsung phone on multiple wallet cases which doesn't require me to take off the wallet. 

Iphondo mentions you can use the wireless charging while still using the phone. You know what else lets you use the phone while charging? Yea...

Jonathan Morrison mentions now being able to transfer files and connecting to an amp while charging. Well you can already do that without Magsafe. 

Here's my review:
Pros: 

Sound of sticking that thing is good. But if you're achieving orgasm with that sound, then that's quite sad.

Charging wattage is higher than some of usual wireless charger

Compact size charger

Easy to charge in some circumstances, e.g. in a car... (cant think of anywhere else but wth you're not supposed to touch your phone while driving) 

Cons:
Still lower wattage than many wireless charger

Doesn't charge through the wallet case

Too strong magnets, defeats the whole purpose of Mag"SAFE". Your phone is gonna go flying if someone trips the wire. 

Cable is embed, once it brokey, you deadky. 

Brings practically minimal benefits compared to a non-magnetic wireless charger. (Even my samsung wireless charger has a cooling fan)

Doesn't even come with a plug. 

Am I missing something here? Why are they liking it so much? Please help, I'm losing my mind. 

I imagine that apple is going to remove their lightning port off their iPhone's pretty soon and replace it with magsafe so the iphone 12 would be the transitional period between going from lightning to magsafe.

Definitely not my thing but I guess it's apple's way of 'innovating'

28 minutes ago, crazzp said:

Too strong magnets, defeats the whole purpose of Mag"SAFE". Your phone is gonna go flying if someone trips the wire. 

Agree with this.

Even my samsung wireless charger has a cooling fan

This is useless.

Am I missing something here? Why are they liking it so much? Please help, I'm losing my mind

This is kinda like the Galaxy Fold. Simply a test the future possibilities are endless.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

I feel like magsafe would be neat, but the amount of hype I think too is a bit much. It is just a wireless charger that has a magnet on it. Even If i had something like magsafe, I would probably use it once and never touch it again. In conclusion, I agree, the hype is silly. It's not that crazy of a change other than they added a magnet.

I'm usually as lost as you are

it might actually work out that it forces you to take your wallet off when charging. This way people don't get lazy and just leave their wallet with their phone charging in some unsecure area.

1 hour ago, RockAndRollGasStation said:

This way people don't get lazy and just leave their wallet with their phone charging in some unsecure area

Well I think its so you dont demagnetized your cards. While Credit and Debit have chips in the US, we still have the option for slide the card. Also Michigan Drivers Licenses have a magnetic strip that has your info on it. I think law enforcement uses it to pull up your data. 

8 hours ago, crazzp said:

Am I missing something here? Why are they liking it so much? Please help, I'm losing my mind. 

The rumor was the next iPhone was to be port free. That didnt happen. HOWEVER, this sets Apple up to be port free in a generation or two. If the Magsafe chargers work well, then they might just ditch the port all together. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

We need more MagSafe, so much that you can buy other brands versions and they proved popular.

Apple are probably the only company who can pull it off for the mainstream and I hope they bring it back on a wider scale.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Donut417 said:

Well I think its so you dont demagnetized your cards. While Credit and Debit have chips in the US, we still have the option for slide the card. Also Michigan Drivers Licenses have a magnetic strip that has your info on it. I think law enforcement uses it to pull up your data. 

Yea that makes sense. I never really thought they planned out that security convenience i was talking about, more like i'm just saying it works out that way

On 10/28/2020 at 4:35 PM, crazzp said:

Why are they liking it so much?

I currently use a Samsung S8 that I've had since forever and ever, and I'm considering switching to iPhone. The charger is a (small but not insignificant) reason for me to consider going to the dark side. I can only speak for myself though, so my reasoning might not apply to a lot of people :)

1. I loooove wireless charging. I keep a charger at work and (when i lived in a larger apartment) several at home. Gonna sit down and watch a movie? Place it on the charger next to the couch. At work? Place it on the charger on your desk.  Etc etc.
  2. I've had issues with my charging port filling with lint (took me two years to realize it wasn't broken) and i don't like having to deal with that.
  3. I sometimes notice that my phone didn't charge because it was either slightly off center, or it got bumped into without me noticing. It's especially annoying when i (or a cat) accidentally bump it on the nightstand.... and in the morning i have an uncharged phone.
  4. I sometimes find it annoying that i can't charge and use my phone at the same time without plugging it in.

I agree with you that this doesn't seem to be a perfect product by any means; I'd love it if it was one of those super fast chargers. The whole wallet thing seems weird to me, like do people have to take off the wallet to charge? Sounds like it defeats the purpose of convenience. But lucky me I don't use phone wallets. :) 

I'm sure others have their own reasons for loving the idea of this charger. 

Potato