NH-U12s on Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7?

LordHiler

Hello all! I am considering an upgrade to either the Ryzen 5 5600x or Ryzen 7 5800x depending on benchmark results. I know they aren't out yet, but they have the same 105w TDP as their Ryzen 3000 series counterparts so I'm assuming they will be thermally similar and I'm hoping some of you with the Ryzen 3 parts can chime in. I currently have a Noctua NH-U12s running in the stock configuration with a single fan, but I have the room to add a second fan if that's a meaningful benefit. My question is this - can I keep the NH-U12s for cooling the Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 parts assuming good airflow within the case otherwise? I am going to be running three front intakes with two top and one rear exhaust and my PSU configured to draw air from inside the case and exhaust it as well. 

For reference, I plan to use a mid-tier air cooled graphics card. Either a 2070 Super, 3070, or upcoming Radeon RX 6700 or 6800 XT (we will see what tomorrow's announcement brings). I have 32GB of 3200 C16 ram in a 4x8 GB configuration and the NH-U12s cooler clears it and draws air across the RAM directly from the front intake fan beautifully. 

I am not planning any overclocks on CPU or GPU.  

Luckily the CPUs have the same TDP as the Ryzen 3000 chips. The 5600x only has a TDP of 65W, not 105W, which means the temperatues with something like the NH-U12s will be just fine, even if you do eventually overclock the CPU and keep just one fan on the cooler.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

Luckily the CPUs have the same TDP as the Ryzen 3000 chips. The 5600x only has a TDP of 65W, not 105W, which means the temperatues with something like the NH-U12s will be just fine, even if you do eventually overclock the CPU and keep just one fan on the cooler.

Oh yes! Thank you, you're correct. I'm sorry for the mistake on TDP. 

What about the Ryzen 7 part?

2 minutes ago, LordHiler said:

I'm currently running the black variant on my 2700X and it's great. In fact, my beefy GPU gets louder under load.

5 minutes ago, LordHiler said:

Yes it should be fine, too. That cooler is capable for 205W and I don't see the Ryzen 7 5800x getting near 200W.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Perfect! Thank you all for the encouraging news. Would you recommend the second fan?

The tdp it's not the real max power consuming, not talking about spikes, you got chart in noctua site for cooling capability.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, LordHiler said:

Perfect! Thank you all for the encouraging news. Would you recommend the second fan?

Not needed. It's mainly useful for keeping fan speeds low without losing too much performance. I'd recommend just seeing how it performs first. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.