4000D Airflow and the B550 Tomahawk

sean4m

Hey,

I’m currently planning on getting a new PC and I’m leaning towards the Corsair 4000D Airflow case and the B550 Tomahawk as the motherboard.

Now here’s the problem - on PCPartPicker it shows a compatibility issue between them where the case has a USB 3.2 Type A port on the front panel and the motherboard doesn’t have sufficient USB 3.2 headers and so the port will not be usable. To be exact:

Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.”

The weird thing is that on the specifications of the motherboard on MSI’s website it says that it does have support for those exact headers:

• USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT)

1(Gen 1, Type C), 2(Gen 1, Type A)

and to go even further, on Corsair’s website it says that the case has a 3.0 USB Type A port on the front and not a 3.2 one, and so if that is true then the motherboard won’t be able to support the port?

Basically I’m trying to understand if the front USB port will work with the motherboard. Every website says something different and I can’t figure it out.

Would be much appreciated if someone has an answer to this question.

Thanks and have a wonderful rest of the day.

Hello! I'm buying the exact same configuration and I think I have an answer for you. USB 3.2 Gen 1 is the same as USB 3.0. So a USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A == USB 3.0 Type A. So I believe we are good to go! See here for more info: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-3.0-usb-3.1-becomes-usb-3.2,38699.html

its a bit confusing this is a usb 3.1 header

main-qimg-6cb9ed8ce601f0020d0d102f672590

and this is a usb 3.0 header

main-qimg-91d89d22cb0cdea1b3e47916ca5523

you can get adapters to go from usb 3.0 to 3.1 (it will work at 3.0 speeds)

71t-mcvwp1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

images-10.jpeg?resize=640,359&ssl=1

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

so your mb has am gen 2 3.2 header and not a usb 3.0 and the case type c is 3.1 so it will run at 3.1 speeds. as for the 3.0 you can buy an 2.0 to 3.0 fat and that will run at 2.0 speeds as far as i no. unless there a small 3.0 header now...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links