My Razer Phone 2 is disappoint

Sarra

I've had this phone for 2 years, and the dang thing has been giving me more and more problems lately. First, the auto-rotate feature totally died. Disabling and reenabling it doesn't change anything, I have to use an app to force the screen rotation to function, and I have to do it manually, as even that app cannot seem to get the screen to rotate when the device is rotated.

Then, my ringer died. I mean, every ringer died. If my phone rings, the vibrate will vibrate, but no sound emanates from the phone. Same with alarms. When watching youtube, the speakers work just fine.

And this morning, the rear glass shattered.

This phone is also still on Android 9. Razer isn't supporting it other than security patches, there's no way we'll be getting Android 11 or even 10 on it, which I'm honestly not very comfortable with.

So, it's time to get a new phone.

I do ONE thing with my phone: I watch youtube videos on it at work. The other function that I require to be functional is the alarm. I guess I occasionally send texts, but I almost never use it for phone calls. I don't play any games at all. I don't even use other apps. I mean, I read the news, or I used to until the entire world basically turned into a hellish, unending nightmare, but... That's it.

I am considering two options: 1) Get a mid-range phone with Android 11 on it, that WILL be supported for 2-3 years.

2) Screw the phone, and just get a Surface Pro X (or other non Apple tablet), and use the LTE capabilities built in

So, now I'm not entirely sure what I should do. Repairing the Razer Phone 2 isn't an option, since the rest of the phone is just as broken and useless. For comparison, I still have my Nexus 6, which NEVER had a case, and it is pretty much pristine, except it's running Android 7 or whatever, and hasn't had security updates in years, so I don't feel comfortable using it anymore.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Sell it while you're still can. That phone is dead.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Sell it while you're still can. That phone is dead.

With shattered glass on the back, I'm just going to ewaste it.

Just auction it on ebay, you'll never know.

Some people need those broken ones for parts.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just auction it on ebay, you'll never know.

Some people need those broken ones for parts.

I'd rather not let something with any of my personal data on it go. I guess I could look into a phone data wipe app.

Just wipe the phone beforehand. You're too paranoid.

Just wipe the phone beforehand. You're too paranoid.

I won't disagree.

I'll grab a wipe app, and run it as soon as I get a new phone up and running.

5 hours ago, Sarra said:

I'll grab a wipe app, and run it as soon as I get a new phone up and running.

The built in factory reset option is enough. 

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

I am considering two options: 1) Get a mid-range phone with Android 11 on it, that WILL be supported for 2-3 years.

2) Screw the phone, and just get a Surface Pro X (or other non Apple tablet), and use the LTE capabilities built in.

Get a midrange device. Most midrange phones $250+ will have the same cpu performance as the sd845 your current phone has. The gpu on the other hand will be less powerful.

6 hours ago, EL02 said:

The built in factory reset option is enough. 

Get a midrange device. Most midrange phones $250+ will have the same cpu performance as the sd845 your current phone has. The gpu on the other hand will be less powerful.

Yeah, I like being paranoid. It can prevent problems in the future...

I ended up just grabbing a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. The price was lower than a midrange phone plus a tablet, and it should have enough screen real estate for me to still watch YouTube at work.

Whelp, the dumb thing completely failed today. It'll power on, and I can open apps, but as soon as I scroll, the phone locks up, and I have to reboot it. I suspect it's overheating the CPU, since the rear panel is a heatsink, but realistically, I doubt that's the only problem.

Got my Galaxy S10+ and it's already up and running. A little annoyed by Samsung's UI, thing, but whatever. I also miss the keyboard from my Razer phone... I'm still waiting for it to finish updating, then I'll mess with the keyboard and stuff.

11 hours ago, Sarra said:

Got my Galaxy S10+ and it's already up and running. A little annoyed by Samsung's UI, thing, but whatever. I also miss the keyboard from my Razer phone... I'm still waiting for it to finish updating, then I'll mess with the keyboard and stuff.

Congrats! The s10 plus is a better phone anyway.

37 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Congrats! The s10 plus is a better phone anyway.

It is, for sure. I'm having a bit of an issue learning the Samsung weirdness, since it's my first Samsung phone. So far, though, I've got most of what I want going.

This is why i buy iphones. Say what u want about apple, but their stuff is well built and reliable. My iphone 7 plus still looks and feels new. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

1 hour ago, maizenblue said:

This is why i buy iphones. Say what u want about apple, but their stuff is well built and reliable. My iphone 7 plus still looks and feels new. 

My Nexus 6 is still kicking around, after 7 years of use. It is on it's original battery, original screen, and has never actually been opened up for a repair. It has never even had a case on it, and it only had a screen protector for around 2 years. My iPhone 4S, on the other hand, lasted me less than 3 years, and had to be opened multiple times, mostly for battery replacement.

The only reason I'm not using my Nexus 6 as my daily driver is because Android 7 is basically a gaping security hole, so that phone does not have service.

My 3GS, while it was reliable, was extremely slow when I got my 4S.

This, coupled with having to deal with my mom's Macbook Pros that are constantly dieing, has turned me off permanently to Apple, even before you throw in Right To Repair crap.

3 hours ago, maizenblue said:

ok.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:22 AM, maizenblue said:

My 3GS is the same. On iOS 6 so it’s completely unusable but the hardware is fine. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?