Deciding between 4TB HDDs. Not sure.

TheShadow208

I am currently in search for a new 4TB hard drive as my current 1 and 2 TB hard drives are getting really old and unreliable imo.

Im stuck between the Seagate Barracuda 4TB 2017 model and Western Digital 4TB Blue. both are basically the same price at $89

the Seagate has 256 MB of cache and WD Blue has 64 MB

the issue for me is Userbenchmarks has the WD Blue being better at almost everything... How? you would assume the HDD with the better specs would be the better HDD but I guess not?

Any suggestions?

WD blue is quieter. I'm using few WD blue in my case and I really like silence. Speed is ok, don't expect big improvement even on 7200 rpm drives.

Well unfortunately I not really worried about quiet, I cant hear my hard drives or anything over my case fans as it is, and even at that. they are quiet inside my case. Really only mostly worried about how these two perform real world with games and transferring large files, and if the cache really makes THAT much of a difference 

22 minutes ago, TheShadow208 said:

and if the cache really makes THAT much of a difference 

It really does not, both of those drives will perform similarly.

coulcould you post the model numbers? and the cost of each

do you care about cost effectiveness, storage, or performance?

personally i'd go for whatever is cheaper. but yeah, cache is good and all, but if you want the best performance you want to not get SMR hdds. the seagate sounds like an smr to me. I think SMRs are great, but the performance isn't very good when used without ssd cache.