Moving OS to NVME or not?

AndreasS

Hi guys,

because Cyberpunk is around the corner, I wanted to give my storage an upgrade.

Right now I'm wondering whether I should move Windows and everything to the nvme and install also the games to the nvme.

The other solution would be keeping the os on the sata ssd and just use the nvme for games.

Best

Andreas

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

5 minutes ago, AndreasS said:

Hi guys,

because Cyberpunk is around the corner, I wanted to give my storage an upgrade.

Right now I'm wondering whether I should move Windows and everything to the nvme and install also the games to the nvme.

The other solution would be keeping the os on the sata ssd and just use the nvme for games.

Best

Andreas

Since games aren't very optimized for SSD's yet, the difference between SATA and NVMe SSD is very small. Moving the OS to the NVMe will also be a very small difference. The biggest difference will be sequential reads/writes, where the NVMe shines. I'd say just keep it that way and put games on drive seperate from your OS.

16 minutes ago, AndreasS said:

I'd just install games to the NVMe. Windows itself doesn't benefit at all from being on an NVMe over being on a SATA SSD.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'd just install games to the NVMe. Windows itself doesn't benefit at all from being on an NVMe over being on a SATA SSD.

nvme is best used as a giant dedicated pagefile, for extreme Chrome tab sessions...

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

nvme is best used as a giant dedicated pagefile, for extreme Chrome tab sessions...

I would argue that the trashcan is the best use for Chrome.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would buy bigger sata SSD over an NVME SSD unless you have a reason for it.

Gaming isn’t a reason as it doesn’t benefit from it.

The main OS improvement is a slightly faster system boot time.

If you want the bragging rights get one, in the end it wont change things as much as any other SSD does for game boot times over a HDD.

It is up to you but a more expensive SATA SSD is better than a cheaper NVME SSD for gaming and the NVME will still cost more!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

17 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I would buy bigger sata SSD over an NVME SSD unless you have a reason for it.

Gaming isn’t a reason as it doesn’t benefit from it.

The main OS improvement is a slightly faster system boot time.

If you want the bragging rights get one, in the end it wont change things as much as any other SSD does for game boot times over a HDD.

It is up to you but a more expensive SATA SSD is better than a cheaper NVME SSD for gaming and the NVME will still cost more!

True, but right now a 1 TB Samsung 970 evo costs exactly the same as a 860 evo here in germany. 

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

58 minutes ago, AndreasS said:

True, but right now a 1 TB Samsung 970 evo costs exactly the same as a 860 evo here in germany. 

It is also worth being aware that M.2 run hot, in a place where it could get overheated by a GPU or in a place where there is little airflow it can lose performance fast, a 2.5 SATA SSD might not have this issue.

Is M.2 really worth it just because it’s the same price?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz