Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the fastest way to transfer data from a microSD card to a PC

Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

Keep in mind that at some point you'll be limited by the microSD card's speeds rather than the USB speeds. Right now, as you say, you have a USB 3.0 reader and port; that limits you to (theoretically) 500MB/s (it's ~1/10, not 1/8, of the spec'd 5Gb/s, because there's overhead, parity bits, etc.) That's already faster than all but a UHS-III card (UHS-II caps out at 312 MB/s). If you have a UHS-III card, you could see a minor improvement if you upgrade to a 3.1 reader and port, which is 1.2GB/s, but not much, since UHS-III caps out at 624MB/s. Not sure that the speed increase is worth the cost, though. From 312 to 500, sure, but from 500 to 624, maybe not.

Also keep in mind that you're transferring to an HDD. That's going to limit your speed more than anything else.... Most HDDs cap out at around 100MB/s, which is equivalent to a UHS-I SD card.

When it comes to file transfer speeds, remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. If your microSD card can do 624MB/s, the reader can do 500, the port can do 500, the port/cable going to the HDD can do 500, and the HDD can do 100... you'll be doing 100MB/s at most.

I regularly transfer around 32 GB of video files from a microSD card to an external HDD connected to my PC via USB 3.0 port. The microSD card is also connected to the PC through a USB 3.0 card reader that goes into a USB 3.0 port. I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do this?
My mobo has some USB 3.1 Gen2 ports on the back but I'm not sure if I'd also need adequate cable and card reader to be able to use the speed they offer?

So basically my main question is in the title, what would be THE fastest way to do this 🙂

That's the fastest way afaik.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Standard USB 3.0 is 4,8gbit/s. That's 600mbyte/s, or basically SSD Speeds. 

So yes, the way you do it is the fastest and a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Port will not change that. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X - Scythe Big Shuriken 3 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - H100i GTX - Asus Prime X570 Pro - EVGA RTX2060KO - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 970 Evo - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Inwin 103 White - Dell U3415W - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 Legendary - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The only thing that can improve speeds is either the card reader they can be somewhat limited the cheaper ones.

Or get a faster SD card.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Keep in mind that at some point you'll be limited by the microSD card's speeds rather than the USB speeds. Right now, as you say, you have a USB 3.0 reader and port; that limits you to (theoretically) 500MB/s (it's ~1/10, not 1/8, of the spec'd 5Gb/s, because there's overhead, parity bits, etc.) That's already faster than all but a UHS-III card (UHS-II caps out at 312 MB/s). If you have a UHS-III card, you could see a minor improvement if you upgrade to a 3.1 reader and port, which is 1.2GB/s, but not much, since UHS-III caps out at 624MB/s. Not sure that the speed increase is worth the cost, though. From 312 to 500, sure, but from 500 to 624, maybe not.

Also keep in mind that you're transferring to an HDD. That's going to limit your speed more than anything else.... Most HDDs cap out at around 100MB/s, which is equivalent to a UHS-I SD card.

When it comes to file transfer speeds, remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. If your microSD card can do 624MB/s, the reader can do 500, the port can do 500, the port/cable going to the HDD can do 500, and the HDD can do 100... you'll be doing 100MB/s at most.

40 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. 

This is correct. Since both use the same USB3 bandwidth, it will be limited to the transfer speed of the lowest.

Your 32gb sdcard probably has a UHS1 (100mb/s) or slower, and the external HDD probably averaging at 150mb/s.

If this the case, no matter what you do it will always transfer at 100mb/s.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

copy/paste

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 hour ago, fordy_rounds said:

I feel dumb for totally overlooking that. 

Thank you everyone for the great answers :)