What's the fastest way to transfer data from a microSD card to a PC

nE0n1nja
Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

Keep in mind that at some point you'll be limited by the microSD card's speeds rather than the USB speeds. Right now, as you say, you have a USB 3.0 reader and port; that limits you to (theoretically) 500MB/s (it's ~1/10, not 1/8, of the spec'd 5Gb/s, because there's overhead, parity bits, etc.) That's already faster than all but a UHS-III card (UHS-II caps out at 312 MB/s). If you have a UHS-III card, you could see a minor improvement if you upgrade to a 3.1 reader and port, which is 1.2GB/s, but not much, since UHS-III caps out at 624MB/s. Not sure that the speed increase is worth the cost, though. From 312 to 500, sure, but from 500 to 624, maybe not.

Also keep in mind that you're transferring to an HDD. That's going to limit your speed more than anything else.... Most HDDs cap out at around 100MB/s, which is equivalent to a UHS-I SD card.

When it comes to file transfer speeds, remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. If your microSD card can do 624MB/s, the reader can do 500, the port can do 500, the port/cable going to the HDD can do 500, and the HDD can do 100... you'll be doing 100MB/s at most.

I regularly transfer around 32 GB of video files from a microSD card to an external HDD connected to my PC via USB 3.0 port. The microSD card is also connected to the PC through a USB 3.0 card reader that goes into a USB 3.0 port. I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do this?
My mobo has some USB 3.1 Gen2 ports on the back but I'm not sure if I'd also need adequate cable and card reader to be able to use the speed they offer?

So basically my main question is in the title, what would be THE fastest way to do this 🙂

That's the fastest way afaik.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Standard USB 3.0 is 4,8gbit/s. That's 600mbyte/s, or basically SSD Speeds. 

So yes, the way you do it is the fastest and a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Port will not change that. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The only thing that can improve speeds is either the card reader they can be somewhat limited the cheaper ones.

Or get a faster SD card.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Keep in mind that at some point you'll be limited by the microSD card's speeds rather than the USB speeds. Right now, as you say, you have a USB 3.0 reader and port; that limits you to (theoretically) 500MB/s (it's ~1/10, not 1/8, of the spec'd 5Gb/s, because there's overhead, parity bits, etc.) That's already faster than all but a UHS-III card (UHS-II caps out at 312 MB/s). If you have a UHS-III card, you could see a minor improvement if you upgrade to a 3.1 reader and port, which is 1.2GB/s, but not much, since UHS-III caps out at 624MB/s. Not sure that the speed increase is worth the cost, though. From 312 to 500, sure, but from 500 to 624, maybe not.

Also keep in mind that you're transferring to an HDD. That's going to limit your speed more than anything else.... Most HDDs cap out at around 100MB/s, which is equivalent to a UHS-I SD card.

When it comes to file transfer speeds, remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. If your microSD card can do 624MB/s, the reader can do 500, the port can do 500, the port/cable going to the HDD can do 500, and the HDD can do 100... you'll be doing 100MB/s at most.

40 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

remember: the slowest speed is always your determining factor. 

This is correct. Since both use the same USB3 bandwidth, it will be limited to the transfer speed of the lowest.

Your 32gb sdcard probably has a UHS1 (100mb/s) or slower, and the external HDD probably averaging at 150mb/s.

If this the case, no matter what you do it will always transfer at 100mb/s.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, fordy_rounds said:

I feel dumb for totally overlooking that. 

Thank you everyone for the great answers :)