MacBook 2020s overheating

I had chrome open on my MacBook 2020 with the 10th gen intel CPU. Is it normal for cpu to hit 80-90 degrees? 
no other apps were open

it was sitting on a table

the room temp was comfortably around 25 degrees

i was using intel power gadget to test the temp.

Help please

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 9.05.57 PM.jpg

1 minute ago, C36 said:

I had chrome open on my MacBook 2020 with the 10th gen intel CPU. Is it normal for cpu to hit 80-90 degrees? 
no other apps were open

it was sitting on a table

the room temp was comfortably around 25 degrees

i was using intel power gadget to test the temp.

Help please

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 9.05.57 PM.jpg

Welcome to Mac. Lol. 

Its fine. It’ll kick up the fans once it starts to “worry”. It favors quiet operation over temps. My MacBook Air is always pretty hot. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Yes, the CPU fan curve is made in such a way that it only kicks in very late, not to mention that macbooks are notorious for overheating, especially the air.

The cooling design is very bad on these new Mac books. And it gets worse every year it seems. Can anyone explain why is that so? If i remember it right, i saw a Video of a guy opening up a Mac book last year, only to expose that there are no proper Paths for the Fan to throw away the Hot air out of the PC and its like intended to kill the Macbook within a Year of regular use just so people buy the new one next year.

If it was a regular computer, no that would not be normal. Since it's a Macbook, yeah that's not unusual. Two things you can do, one is open activity monitor and see what processes are using the most resources, if the only process taking up all the resources is Chrome, you can try quitting and restarting Chrome, or the whole MacBook if you want. Second option, which I recommend, is downloading a fan control program, I use Macs Fan Control. It lets you set the fan RPM to whatever you want, and if you get the pro version you can set a custom fan curve. 

9 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

The cooling design is very bad on these new Mac books. And it gets worse every year it seems. Can anyone explain why is that so? If i remember it right, i saw a Video of a guy opening up a Mac book last year, only to expose that there are no proper Paths for the Fan to throw away the Hot air out of the PC and its like intended to kill the Macbook within a Year of regular use just so people buy the new one next year.

Nah, it's apples new, innovative feature, it's called a wireless heat-pipe. It appears in the early 2018 macbook air models. I've seen one of these on Louis Rossmann's channel where the cpu was literally clicking, like making noise.

2018 MacBook Air Teardown Confirms Improving Repairability With Adhesive  Pull-Tabs Under Battery and Speakers - MacRumors

That Clicking noise Might be the Metal having Thermal Cracking Internally due to massive heat :(