Asus 3090 Strix OC coil whine

Klages

i received my 3090 Strix OC on monday, after a bit of testing i notice a really loud coil whine in specific load scenarios (games/benchmarks).

does anyone here have the card already as well? i'm curious if the coil whine persists on all cards or if it is just mine.

i use a new Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU, also from my understanding coil whine shouldn't relate to the PSU as long as it is not undersized.

15 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I don't have that card but from my understanding coil whine can possibly be remove with a change in psu's

in some rare cases... usually not, it's definitely not worth it to do so anyways unless you bleed money

Unfortunately, coil whine is normal, you are either lucky and have a card that doesn't have it or you are unlucky and you have it... not that much you can do about it. It's not harmful or anything.

2 minutes ago, Klages said:

i use a new Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU, also from my understanding coil whine shouldn't relate to the PSU as long as it is not undersized.

Usually but not always.

Other things to try are:

Remounting the gpu

Don't use daisy chain/pig tail to connect power

Try a different driver or wait for the next one/ sometimes a window update will fix this

Under clock or under volt your gpu

Decrease frames in game

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

under volt your gpu

this can actually help

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Usually but not always.

Other things to try are:

Remounting the gpu

Try a different driver or wait for the next one/ sometimes a window update will fix this

Under clock or under volt your gpu

Decrease frames in game

thx, i already remounted gpu und psu. the gpu is powered by 3 seperate power cables.

are drivers really a factor in coil whine? the noise is mechanical so i don't get how a driver should change this?

undervolting would be the last thing i try to do,  i have to see if i can borrow a psu to see if this is really the issue.

frames are not the problem, it happens in benchmarks even with 50 fps.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

in some rare cases... usually not, it's definitely not worth it to do so anyways unless you bleed money

Unfortunately, coil whine is normal, you are either lucky and have a card that doesn't have it or you are unlucky and you have it... not that much you can do about it. It's not harmful or anything.

yeah i wouldn't mind to buy a new one if it fixes the coil whine, it's just a bit shitty as i already bought sleeved cables.

the thing is that the coil whine is really loud, i can hear it clearly over the fans which are already loud on the 3090 :(

i must have been lucky in the past as i've never had a card with coil whine.

have the 3080 with an 850watt RM corsair psu.. it also has coilwhine, although the asus card luckily has the low level hum, not coil squeel...

to be honest, having been fighting this issues since back in the AMD64 days on GPU´s and even motherboards, i´m just tired of it, so my test now is 2 fold, can i hear it at my desk in a silent room, with case closed.. currently only at HIGH FPS (300+) in certain titles, or COD 1440p RTX at 140ish fps..

it´s never intrusive... it is just sometimes there..

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, Klages said:

i received my 3090 Strix OC on monday, after a bit of testing i notice a really loud coil whine in specific load scenarios (games/benchmarks).

does anyone here have the card already as well? i'm curious if the coil whine persists on all cards or if it is just mine.

You're not the only one mate.
Got my pre-order of the Strix 3090 OC just before Christmas and the coil whine was unbareable.
RMA'd it and got a replacement just after Christmas... Unfortunately it had the same issue, but the place I bought it from said they'd RMA it again.

Third time lucky.

Considering the price, I expected more from a company I've supported for so many years.

Interrested if you ever got your issue resolved, or have you just lived with it?

I wouldn't mind slight coil whine, if it gets blocked out by my fans, or just putting the side panel on.
I was getting it really bad though.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a video i am so pissed at Asus for releasing these cards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_SP8p_2UI0

Check your thermal pads, this was my issue. Hope i helped ❤️

Asus smoking gun.jpg

My 3090 strix also has terrible coil whine and I am going to RMA it.

I've done some quick research on the teardowns of the card and found that one side of the inductors are not covered by thermal pads:

image.thumb.png.ba749b843abf0634ef2fc7de64c12c3e.png

image.thumb.png.6722c470141c9f3465f13eb4dbcd7096.png

Not sure if this is the cause, but models less likely to have coil whine do have all these inductors covered:

1. MSI 3080 GAMING TRIO

image.thumb.png.be814d22e1505e5492d8dab0c60453bb.png

2. MSI 3090 SPRIMX

image.thumb.png.eb82ba2253cef26b05c888e484a5ac95.pngimage.thumb.png.2aea2e290364559d719999a5a7979e85.png

That might actually make it louder even if it cools better. I think jayz2cents show this happens when he put a waterblock on.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, narrdarr said:

That might actually make it louder even if it cools better. I think jayz2cents show this happens when he put a waterblock on.

I might be wrong. Might try to add some pads for experiment when my waterblock arrives.

Gj finding this stuff out, i though it might be along these lines. I have a FTW3 ultra and a new 1200 BQ psu on the way, to see if its a strix thing or a 3090 thing (sent a corsair hx1200i back because the more i use there products the more they seem too suck ass)

Sent my 3090 strix oc back because the sound was awful.

Love ❤️ 

The inductors and voltage controllers lack a metal heat spreader and thermal pads on the left, this needs a re-design i think because they are at two different heights that no thermal pad could ever bridge. Wish a Asus rep would comment on this? 

I AM NEVER SPENDING A PENNY ON AN ASUS PRODUCT AGAIN, PLEASE DO THE SAME AND SPEAK WITH YOUR WALLET AND THEN MAYBE ASUS WILL SPEAK ON THE SUBJECT...

On 1/27/2021 at 9:39 PM, narrdarr said:

Jay said that waterblocks do not have the mass to properly dampen vibration. Thermal pads themselves are like tiny shock absorbers. And as with shock absorbers, different stiffness of material can either isolate or propagate the specific resonant frequency. And those frequencies are in the kilohertz range, thus having quite a range in resonance frequency. I just wish board manufacturers would do an extra step resonant frequency sweep and pair the card with a thermal pad for proper dampening performance.  

Try undervolting. Also, cap your FPS. Typically coil whine happens when your GPU is 'over achieving' so to speak. That's why in menus and haven benchmark where your GPU just rips to pieces, coil whines. 

44 minutes ago, ShennyG said:

Try undervolting. Also, cap your FPS. Typically coil whine happens when your GPU is 'over achieving' so to speak. That's why in menus and haven benchmark where your GPU just rips to pieces, coil whines. 

I am sorry but have you not read the full post?

5 hours ago, Zilla said:

I am sorry but have you not read the full post?

Apology accepted. Yes I did.  

On 2/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, ShennyG said:

Why would that fix missing/broken thermal pads? The crappy thermal pads are making the normal coil whine extra loud, this is the issue.

Hope this helps you 🙂