Did my WD Black arrive DOA?

DudeWazap
Go to solution Solved by Nallown,

I just received my Western Digital Black 2TB HDD from Newegg today and I have spent the past hour trying to use it but it isn't being detected.

I tried 3 different sata cables so I know it's not that. I used a USB to Sata cable to try to reformat it and it wasn't even detected that way either.

I went to "disk management" and it wasn't detected on there nor was it detected in the BIOS.

This is the drive I bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624

It's gone. If your BIOS doesn't detect it at all that means that it's dead

A little off topic I finished watching shakugan no shana, it's good but not AWESOME!

I just received my Western Digital Black 2TB HDD from Newegg today and I have spent the past hour trying to use it but it isn't being detected.

I tried 3 different sata cables so I know it's not that. I used a USB to Sata cable to try to reformat it and it wasn't even detected that way either.

I went to "disk management" and it wasn't detected on there nor was it detected in the BIOS.

This is the drive I bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Is it detected in your bios?

No.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

No.

Try to return it.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Double check with Disk Management, if it isn't there (will be unpartitioned), then it's not living.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Could be DoA, or it could be that its not powered? Though I hope that that is not the case.

Then its dead.

:o No!

Sadly I bought this HDD in order to install Titan fall because I have absolutely no more room in my current hdd. I guess I will have to wait a little bit longer. :(

Spoiler

-

Could be DoA, or it could be that its not powered? Though I hope that that is not the case.

No it is powered I have it connected to the same cable that I have my other hdd and SSD connected to.

Spoiler

-

No it is powered I have it connected to the same cable that I have my other hdd and SSD connected to.

You've tried every other sata port aswell?

You've tried every other sata port aswell?

Yes, I plugged it in to other sata ports and nothing.

Spoiler

-

A little off topic I finished watching shakugan no shana, it's good but not AWESOME!

I'm going to call Newegg right now to RMA it then. Thanks

And Shakugan no Shana is awesome!

Spoiler

-

Have you tried a different SATA cable as well?

Sadly I bought this HDD in order to install Titan fall because I have absolutely no more room in my current hdd. I guess I will have to wait a little bit longer. :(

Protip: build a NAS :)

Have you tried a different SATA cable as well?

Protip: build a NAS :)

And just save all my games on there? Will it load my games slower though since i'm essentially streaming my games from the NAS?

I was actually planning on purchasing a Synology NAS soon, maybe I will.

Spoiler

-

And just save all my games on there? Will it load my games slower though since i'm essentially streaming my games from the NAS?

Installing games on a NAS might not be the best idea... It's certainly possible, but loading times will reduce drastically and if the NAS becomes unavailable, registry links to executables become broken. What I meant was that you should put all data on the NAS ;)

I was actually planning on purchasing a Synology NAS soon, maybe I will.

Cool! I'd still advise you to *build* a NAS ;)