Laptop Undervolting

I have an acer predator helios 500 (1070 version) and I can't use Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU (the option is greyed out). Is it safe to use ThrottleStope on the i7 - 8750h? Also, is it possible to undervolt the GPU?

Acer Predator Helios 500

8th Gen Intel Core i7 8750H

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (Mobile)

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

1TB Hard Drive

256 GB Solid State Drive

Processor Speed 2.20 GHz

Wireless LAN Standard IEEE 802.11ac

Screen Resolution 1920 × 1080

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

12 minutes ago, gravdestroyer said:

I have an acer predator helios 500 (1070 version) and I can't use Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU (the option is greyed out). Is it safe to use ThrottleStope on the i7 - 8750h? Also, is it possible to undervolt the GPU?

I guess the first question here is, do you have a reason to undervolt it? Is it thermal throttling in your typical workloads?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, gravdestroyer said:

Why do you wanted to undervolt the cpu??? and undervolting the gpu is also possible but I always finds it to be a hassle on laptops 'cause it's always resets the setting every time you shutdown.

ThrottleStop ugh..... it's hard to say well..... let's say it's safe and unsafe at the same time. Why??? 'cause unlike XTU, ThrottleStop doesn't have a feature that let's you test the setting that you've set and then you can save that setting if it runs stable.

ThrottleStop on the other hand only directly save the setting and set it immediately, which if the undervolt is too aggressive would cause a whole system crash (blue screen). Oww... and also it doesn't have the a barrier to stop how much you can undervolt it, so... in theory you can undervolt by 1 volt

"Then why you also mention that it was safe"

Because it didn't have a checkbox thing to start the program at startup. So it doesn't apply that faulty setting immediately after windows starts. To do that you have to do it manually at the startup program setting in windows.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

14 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Why do you wanted to undervolt the cpu??? and undervolting the gpu is also possible but I always finds it to be a hassle on laptops 'cause it's always resets the setting every time you shutdown.

ThrottleStop ugh..... it's hard to say well..... let's say it's safe and unsafe at the same time. Why??? 'cause unlike XTU, ThrottleStop doesn't have a feature that let's you test the setting that you've set and then you can save that setting if it runs stable.

ThrottleStop on the other hand only directly save the setting and set it immediately, which if the undervolt is too aggressive would cause a whole system crash (blue screen). Oww... and also it doesn't have the a barrier to stop how much you can undervolt it, so... in theory you can undervolt by 1 volt

"Then why you also mention that it was safe"

Because it didn't have a checkbox thing to start the program at startup. So it doesn't apply that faulty setting immediately after windows starts. To do that you have to do it manually at the startup program setting in windows.

This ^^^

I use it a lot, specifically for undervolting non-gaming laptops, to reduce heat or improve battery life. As you say, it's a "live tweak" tool, rather than "set it and test it". I just mess with it 'til it's stable, then run it as a service using task scheduler, and forget it's there. Just be moderate in the changes you make and take your time, it'll be fine.

@gravdestroyer As for working with the i7-8750h - no idea, but it won't do harm just running Throttlestop and seeing if you can undervolt (technically, it sets a voltage limit, rather than an offset). Absolute worst case is that you crash it. Settings to "probably leave alone" are the clock and chipset modulation options - those are for older systems and will either do nothing, or bluescreen your machine.

Stress-test the CPU fully with new settings, before you set Throttlestop to auto-run, to avoid a pain-in-the-butt troubleshooting later. I'd recommend something like Powermax to do this, tested on both SSE and AVX mode. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/powermax.html 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:58 AM, gravdestroyer said:

I can't use Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU

did you update BIOS recently?

On 10/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, PiberiusWilde said:

ThrottleStop doesn't have a feature that let's you test the setting that you've set and then you can save that setting if it runs stable.

it has - you just need to work around

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

did you update BIOS recently?

it has - you just need to work around

Yes I know the TS Bench thing. But tbh it's not that good because you cannot use it while in FIVR control so it's virtually useless.

Better off using TS with Aida as the stress test.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

28 minutes ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Yes I know the TS Bench thing

I'm not referring to that.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 10/20/2020 at 1:57 AM, PiberiusWilde said:

But tbh it's not that good because you cannot use it while in FIVR control

Sure you can. Open the TS Bench first. You can open the FIVR window after the TS Bench window is already open.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, PiberiusWilde said:

but I always finds it to be a hassle on laptops 'cause it's always resets the setting every time you shutdown.

Intel XTU does not apply the voltages consistently after resuming from sleep or hibernate. ThrottleStop does not have this problem.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, PiberiusWilde said:

unlike XTU, ThrottleStop doesn't have a feature that let's you test the setting that you've set and then you can save that setting if it runs stable.

ThrottleStop has a couple of safety features. 

6A0ePI6.png

Use the first option when you are trying out some new voltages settings that you have not previously tested. If your computer crashes, the CPU will reset itself and the voltages will not have been saved to the configuration file.

image.png.92118029b8b907f769a48fbb077b47e5.png

On 10/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, gravdestroyer said:

Is it safe to use ThrottleStop on the i7 - 8750h?

Lots of laptops running the 8750H are using ThrottleStop. The problem is that recent BIOS updates have disabled CPU voltage control. The ThrottleStop FIVR window will show you if CPU voltage control is locked or not.

74yemEf.png

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Lots of laptops running the 8750H are using ThrottleStop. The problem is that recent BIOS updates have disabled CPU voltage control. The ThrottleStop FIVR window will show you if CPU voltage control is locked or not.

True though

Lots of manufacturer these days limit how much we can tweak with their laptop. Most of them just went the easy route of just outright handicapping their CPU and GPU clocks to maintain a certain temperature they've set. And only allow them to boost for a few seconds.

My laptop (i5 8265U) locked at 2.2Ghz on extended full load to maintain around 81-84oC

Only a few of them actually took their time to set voltage curve for their laptop.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cyberdroid1 said:

Undervolt your CPU by -0.100 V. Less temps, better perf, better clocks. I have done this on mine, and it works. 

At extended max load, I get 2.9 ~ 3 GHz and temps around 65~68 C.

You don't get it, do you?

First, what's your cpu?

Second, most recent bios update on many laptop locks down the voltage control, making it unable to be undervolted or overvolted.

Third, there was a problem with windows actually preventing undervolts. I think it has something to do with added features in the latest windows version. The only version that I heard people can do undervloting is 1903 or older