Starting programming

So I think I am going to slow down my gaming and learn a computer language, but because I'm a noob I have no idea which one.  I know there is going to be different opinions, but is there a general good one to start with.  I'm also going to have to learn touch typing first (im only 15) so should I change my keyboard layout from WASD (on a corsair k90) and get a cheap dvorak keyboard and start on that? Whats the best operating system/distro to start with? Also, I know how to run linux commands ect, if that helps whatsoever with programming.  AS I said, I am a complete utter noob.

Thanks

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/Content/ViewContent.aspx?et=3371&m=3348&ct=18131#?fbid=WNfkk1Tycdi

That's a nifty guide for C#, which is a great language.

The guide is very comprehensive, and has been working well for me.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I personally learnt programming languages in following order:

Turing > Java > C > C++ (with a little bit of C#)

Turing is good just to understand the logic of programming, though I still prefer Java over other languages.

So I think I am going to slow down my gaming and learn a computer language, but because I'm a noob I have no idea which one.  I know there is going to be different opinions, but is there a general good one to start with.  I'm also going to have to learn touch typing first (im only 15) so should I change my keyboard layout from WASD (on a corsair k90) and get a cheap dvorak keyboard and start on that? Whats the best operating system/distro to start with? Also, I know how to run linux commands ect, if that helps whatsoever with programming.  AS I said, I am a complete utter noob.

Thanks

Dvorak looks horrible I'm so used to wasd

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If you want to learn java and that start with Python, if not I would recommend C,C# or C++ to start off with. With C# you can use it in Unity 3D to make games

Don't change keyboard and operating system just to program; Just stick with whatever you know best.

Great languages to start with are: C#, Java, Python, or even C++.

Cheers,

Linus

Well there is no true perfect way to learn how to program, while digging into the advanced stuff might be something I'd do to learn someone else might not be able to start with the advanced stuff and would need to start of with the basics. Or I'd learn by looking at examples and would be able to instantly pretty much understand the concept behind the language someone else might need to read a whole book about the language.

I believe that the only correct way to learn how to program would be to try and explore yourself. Have a look into some basic programming books and if you believe that's something you can't get into then maybe try video tutorials or basic hello world projects. Find the right way to learn how to program which would suite you and also fit your liking's.

It's important to enjoy what you're doing so don't stick to one thing and believe that you're forced to do so. You're teaching yourself so there are no limits and musts. Learn whatever you're interested in, you don't have to do everything. No one is going to tell you off for not understanding everything or changing your mind. Just do whatever you feel happy doing.

Thanks

Go with something relevent, python is always a good place to start, simple, enforces good programming standards.

Also you shouldn't need to move to dvorak, in fact very few 'programmers' switch from qwerty to dvorak. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

1. WASD ftw

2. The language you are looking for is language capable of your intentions.

with that said. If you are looking to create game,s you can do them in what ever language, however many use Unity 3d engine which use Javascript or C# (and  boo).

Or you can go with UDK (unreal engine) which uses C++ but have wierd license agreement.

You can go with java . only that in massive project you will end up with issues as minecraft have. (Java + games mostly fails with Memory Management). (Look ofr java light-weight game library , look it up, or 3d java (obsolete))

For really professional, efficient game programming you can you with C++ plus libraries (opengl, directx,ogre3d , any of them does any different things , look them up).

Otherwise you can create games in flash / python/ html .. 

Choose your weapon .

Youtube has two channels I recommend and use to learn basics and supplement other learning. Search for TheNewBoston and MyBringBack. They will give you a start, and are entertaining. I also liked Codecademy.com for web based development, I did the PHP track, and am doing the HTML/CSS track to brush up.  

Much info