High fan speed all the time in laptop

Go to solution Solved by jtmoseley,

SOLVED!!!

I have discovered that this issue had something to do with leaving it plugged up overnight and unplugging the computer before waking it. It is solved by a full shutdown, NOT a restart. A restart does not fix it.

Symptoms included:
Full, maxed out fan speed 100% of the time

Low CPU load, <5%

Low CPU temperature, <40C

Unable to be changed by MyAsus fan control utility

MyAsus diagnostic tool was able to temporarily change fan speed when testing the fans

Fan speed was also maxed out in UEFI Bios after restarting into it, showed 5500rpm

Laptop was an Asus Zenbook 14 Q407IQ-BR5N4 Mx350 Ryzen 5 4500u 8GB RAM 256gm NVME

Again, the solution is to do a FULL SHUT DOWN. It is triggered by charging your laptop fully, unplugging it, and then starting it.

I have an ASUS Zenbook 14 mx350 4500u laptop. It is always on high fans even when I'm not doing anything that would cause the fans to ramp up. How do I make it quieter? It sounds like a jet engine. 

The CPU temps on hwinfo are normal and cool.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Try the battery saving mode instead of using the performance mode, if enabled

1.png

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Just now, BetteBalterZen said:

Try the battery saving mode instead of using the performance mode, if enabled

It is in the battery saver mode. Still always has the fans on.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Try open the task manager and see if a program or Windows service is running with high CPU usage 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

3 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Try open the task manager and see if a program or Windows service is running with high CPU usage 

nothing is using the CPU according to the task manager. Has less than 5 percent usage.

Alright. Was any ASUS software included with the laptop? There might be a performance option somewhere. Also, you might need a software or driver to control the fans. 
Try go to the product page for your laptop and see if you can download softwares that control this. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Just now, BetteBalterZen said:

Alright. Was any ASUS software included with the laptop? There might be a performance option somewhere. Also, you might need a software or driver to control the fans. 
Try go to the product page for your laptop and see if you can download softwares that control this. 

alright, thanks. I'll try that.

Just now, jtmoseley said:

alright, thanks. I'll try that.

Np 🙂

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

25 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Np 🙂

Ok so there was an included ASUS utility, which did have a fan control speed utility. However, adjusting this utility did nothing, neither did going into power savings mode.

1. Power mode: Better Battery.

2. Task Manager: Quit the unneccessary Background tasks.... (Like discord running even when you aren't using it).

3. Scan for viruses.

3 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

1. Power mode: Better Battery.

2. Task Manager: Quit the unneccessary Background tasks.... (Like discord running even when you aren't using it).

3. Scan for viruses.

1) It is on best battery

2) There is nothing on task manager besides chrome. Usage is at 5%

3) No viruses

I know 100% that the fans are louder than they should be. Occasionally after a restart it quiets down for a minute or two before it ramps back up again for no reason.

3 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

1) It is on best battery

2) There is nothing on task manager besides chrome. Usage is at 5%

3) No viruses

I know 100% that the fans are louder than they should be. Occasionally after a restart it quiets down for a minute or two before it ramps back up again for no reason.

Go to task manager, performance, then check the speed.... Also, delete Nvidia GeForce Experience as that stresses the CPU while not showing up top...

3 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

Go to task manager, performance, then check the speed.... Also, delete Nvidia GeForce Experience as that stresses the CPU while not showing up top...

Speed is 1.4ghz on CPU.

Do i need to uninstall the drivers from geforce experience too or just the main app

edit: uninstalling the app changed nothing

Speed is 1.4ghz on CPU.

Do i need to uninstall the drivers from geforce experience too or just the main app

Just the app, did it today, same problem, resolved

2 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

Just the app, did it today, same problem, resolved

Well shucks... that didn't resolve it for me.

1 minute ago, jtmoseley said:

Well shucks... that didn't resolve it for me.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

5 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Speed is 1.4ghz on CPU.

1.4 GHz shouldn't rev your fans!

I'd recommend taking it to the service centre now... 

Or, as one last move, try if you can control fan speeds with MSI Afterburner, though most Laptop BIOSes don't usually support fan speed control apart from proprietary software...

2 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

1.4 GHz shouldn't rev your fans!

I'd recommend taking it to the service centre now... 

Or, as one last move, try if you can control fan speeds with MSI Afterburner, though most Laptop BIOSes don't usually support fan speed control apart from proprietary software...

Yea, I tried to do that earlier. MSI afterburner doesn't allow me to change fan speed :(

I really didn't want to take it to a service center but I guess I will have to now.

Yea, I tried to do that earlier. MSI afterburner doesn't allow me to change fan speed :(

I really didn't want to take it to a service center but I guess I will have to now.

All the best, do update on service experience!

Just now, AvMaverick said:

All the best, do update on service experience!

will do, thanks for the help.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? At work BIOS updates will often fix lots of little things you probably wouldn't think of, even if it's not listed in the update notes. We often get advisories from manufacturers advising to update the BIOS to fix a particular issue, but on the update page there's no mention of that issue. I've seen updates that address things from fan noise, failure to load OS, screen brightness issues, charging issues, boosting issues, etc. Worth a try. Just make sure you're plugged in and have a decent battery buffer (>20%).

4 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS? At work BIOS updates will often fix lots of little things you probably wouldn't think of, even if it's not listed in the update notes. We often get advisories from manufacturers advising to update the BIOS to fix a particular issue, but on the update page there's no mention of that issue. I've seen updates that address things from fan noise, failure to load OS, screen brightness issues, charging issues, boosting issues, etc. Worth a try. Just make sure you're plugged in and have a decent battery buffer (>20%).

I will try this.

4 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

Updated bios, nothing has changed.

Also perhaps worth noting, even in bios the fans are always at 5500rpm. 

SOLVED!!!

I have discovered that this issue had something to do with leaving it plugged up overnight and unplugging the computer before waking it. It is solved by a full shutdown, NOT a restart. A restart does not fix it.

Symptoms included:
Full, maxed out fan speed 100% of the time

Low CPU load, <5%

Low CPU temperature, <40C

Unable to be changed by MyAsus fan control utility

MyAsus diagnostic tool was able to temporarily change fan speed when testing the fans

Fan speed was also maxed out in UEFI Bios after restarting into it, showed 5500rpm

Laptop was an Asus Zenbook 14 Q407IQ-BR5N4 Mx350 Ryzen 5 4500u 8GB RAM 256gm NVME

Again, the solution is to do a FULL SHUT DOWN. It is triggered by charging your laptop fully, unplugging it, and then starting it.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...
I found the solution to my issue on reddit. I tried and it worked. Had not encounter the FAN issue for a month now. (Link below).

NOTE: If the previous solution don't work for you, you may want to try this other fix that had work for others. I don't remember where I got this one from, but apparently it worked for some.

1.Go to device manager
2. Choose universal serial bus controllers
3. Right click on the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host controller and choose properties
4. Choose power management 5. Uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
5. Fully shutdown Laptop and restart.
* This may solve  the fan problem, like it did for others.