To use or not to use the M.2 heatshield

CheekyBugger

My pc isn´t built yet but once all the parts are here i have a question about whether or not i should use the heatshild on the upper m.2 port. The motherboard is a MSI B550 Tomahawk and i plan on only using one drive, a Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

I have read a lot of threads on this subject but it seems all of them are from 2017 when the first versions of this heatsink, then called "heatshield", in some cases increased the temperatures. The design looks much more functional now so is it safe to assume they´ve fixed the heatsink?

A video where it´s tested would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Gallery#lg=1&slide=1

They are functional only to a certain degree. They will lower temps, but not to a significant degree where it actually matter in terms of performance. It will only increase temps when you forget to peel off the protective film from the thermal pad. They're basically a gimmick, but if my mobo would have one, i'd use it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

They are functional only to a certain degree. They will lower temps, but not to a significant degree where it actually matter in terms of performance. It will only increase temps when you forget to peel off the protective film from the thermal pad. They're basically a gimmick, but if my mobo would have one, i'd use it.

Exactly what he says.

Its like putting a 7th fan into your case.. it will most likely not increase anything, except for having 1 degress less inside your case. But it a) looks better imo, b) gives it somewhat of a protecting layer when you work (do upgrades) on your system and c) still gives a bit better temperature, but not to a point where you will have either better or worse performance.

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

Ok, so long as the temps always stay at least slightly lower than without the heatsink i´ll definitely use it. And i agree, it does look better with it and should also provide some extra protection. Still, if anyone reading this thread knows of a test or video where the difference is shown, please link it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!