New access point, whilst still using ISP Router

jamesoutofideas

So I have a ISP Provided Modem/Router/AccessPoint combo downstairs, which serves the house with WiFi. It's *fine* but not great upstairs. 

There is an ethernet coming from the back of it, which then goes up and into my room, which I plug into my computer.

If I wanted to get better WiFi coverage upstairs, I would just buy a second router/AP, like this one, plug it into the ethernet port in my room, then use the built in switch on the back of that for my PC so I can still use wired internet.

However, the question is, would the router downstairs need to be put into 'MODEM MODE' for this to work, or could both the old ISP combo router and my new Tp-Link router be able to both provide a WiFi signal of their own? I know issues exist like conflicting routing, etc.

1 minute ago, jamesoutofideas said:

So I have a ISP Provided Modem/Router/AccessPoint downstairs, which serves the house with WiFi. It's *fine* but not great upstairs. 

There is an ethernet coming from the back of it, which then goes up and into my room, which I plug into my computer.

If I wanted to get better WiFi coverage upstairs, I would just buy a second router/AP, like this one, plug it into the ethernet port in my room, then use the built in switch on the back of that for my PC so I can still use wired internet.

However, the question is, would the router downstairs need to be put into 'MODEM MODE' for this to work, or could both the old ISP combo router and my new Tp-Link router be able to both provide a WiFi signal of their own? I know issues exist like conflicting routing, etc.

Don't get another router. That can cause various issues if not setup correctly. 

All you want is the access point part, so just get a dedicated access point. You'd just need to plug it in, do whatever setup is required (like setting SSID and WPA2 PSK) and you're done, you wouldn't need to touch anything on the current router. 

As for using the switch, most access points don't have a switching function. Gigabit switches can be had for really cheap though, so just get one of those and plug that into the ethernet port in your room, then plug the AP and your PC into that. 

I'd personally recommend the Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP LITE: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=access+point+ac&qid=1602417992&s=computers&sr=1-3

Any gigabit switch will do. 

10 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Don't get another router. That can cause various issues if not setup correctly. 

All you want is the access point part, so just get a dedicated access point. You'd just need to plug it in, do whatever setup is required (like setting SSID and WPA2 PSK) and you're done, you wouldn't need to touch anything on the current router. 

As for using the switch, most access points don't have a switching function. Gigabit switches can be had for really cheap though, so just get one of those and plug that into the ethernet port in your room, then plug the AP and your PC into that. 

I'd personally recommend the Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP LITE: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=access+point+ac&qid=1602417992&s=computers&sr=1-3

Any gigabit switch will do. 

Thanks for this. tbh I was wondering whether I'd be better off getting another switch and a separate AP like you suggest.

I have done some further research though, and that TP-Link I linked can be used in 'access point' mode, so disables all routing capability, and apparently the inbuilt switch remains active whilst doing so. So as a cheaper alterative to the Ubiqiti AP, that may work

21 minutes ago, jamesoutofideas said:

I have done some further research though, and that TP-Link I linked can be used in 'access point' mode, so disables all routing capability, and apparently the inbuilt switch remains active whilst doing so. So as a cheaper alterative to the Ubiqiti AP, that may work

That is correct.

Ensure to give the new unit a static LAN IP address outside of the DHCP pool being used by the primary router, and set the gateway/DNS IPs to that of the primary router's LAN IP.

Additionally, the ethernet cable from the primary router will have to be plugged into one of the LAN (not WAN) ports of the new unit.