Laptop making noises

My work laptop is always making noises when it is turned on and I am not talking about fans.

Does anyone know why? It's some kind of weird clicking. It's the same noise I used to hear 20 years ago on those old computers when they are under stress.

dose you laptop have an HDD or an SSD as it might be the hdd.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Probably the Hard Drive and most likely the head is about to go

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

I know what you mean, I have the same thing on my T400. Even though it does not have a mechanical drive in it and with the cd-rom drive removed it sometimes makes this distinctive clicking sound. I've opened it up and replaced the thermal compound. Since then things have gotten a lot better. 

20 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

dose you laptop have an HDD or an SSD as it might be the hdd.

16 minutes ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Probably the Hard Drive and most likely the head is about to go

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I know what you mean, I have the same thing on my T400. Even though it does not have a mechanical drive in it and with the cd-rom drive removed it sometimes makes this distinctive clicking sound. I've opened it up and replaced the thermal compound. Since then things have gotten a lot better. 

It has a 238 GB SSD. I kind of feel like the sound comes from the motherboard and I can't open it. I guess I'll just live with it until the laptop stops working but it's only 3 years old so I doubt that'll be soon.

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

It has a 238 GB SSD. I kind of feel like the sound comes from the motherboard and I can't open it. I guess I'll just live with it until the laptop stops working but it's only 3 years old so I doubt that'll be soon.

On my T400, I know the sound comes from the motherboard, I have not tried running it open so I am not sure exactly where it does come from. I know it is not a drive and not the memory, as this noise does occur without them as well. However, since replacing the thermal compound, I hardly ever notice it anymore. 

1 minute ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

If its not a hard drive and you think its the motherboard it may be electric noise, it a buzzzzzz noise that can be descrabed as deep, its the same sound speakers make when they aree connected to audio when its on mute. 

And if its your work laptop you probably use it a lot so it shouldnt have things that make your work harder to do.

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

On my T400, I know the sound comes from the motherboard, I have not tried running it open so I am not sure exactly where it does come from. I know it is not a drive and not the memory, as this noise does occur without them as well. However, since replacing the thermal compound, I hardly ever notice it anymore. 

Thermal compound causing a sound is very wierd. And bro, if it was me I wouldnt have thought to replace the thurmal thingy, like how much stuff did you replace to figure that out? probably just easier to buy a new laptop if its that noticble and anoying 

9 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

Thermal compound causing a sound is very wierd. And bro, if it was me I wouldnt have thought to replace the thurmal thingy, like how much stuff did you replace to figure that out? probably just easier to buy a new laptop if its that noticble and anoying 

@Elad.Evron Sorry, I am guessing you misunderstood that one. It was not the thermal compound that made the sound. I suspect some component on the motherboard that runs cooler is making less of that sound right now. Could be a heatpipe, could be mosfets, etc. Honestly I don't care anymore. The T400 is from 2008 and I have very recent models as well so it does not bother me really. I just use it as a backup solution or on holidays because I can live without, should it get stolen, not that anyone has ever tried to steal that heavy brick (with the power brick we are talking about 6 kg or 13 lbs).