Collaboration on a "Different type" of OS

As we all know, Windows is the very popular, its a jack of ALL TRADES!, but master at none, So, I had a idea on making a new "type" of OS, Which will be based on linux ofc, So like windows has many various different types, Home, Pro, Ultimate (win 7) So, this OS will have different workloads, Wanna do Workstation Work? You can get a OS exactly optimized for Workstation purposes, You do music production you say? Get a OS which is much more Optimized for your specific NEED! :D聽But, what if you do alot of different stuff? Music and Workstation and even some little Programming you say? Get the Base version, which is not specifically optimized for a single task!

So this is a dumb idea, but i still thought i should ask 馃槣

YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

This already exists, distros such as Ubuntu have multiple flavors available. See https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours.

Edited by PorkishPig

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

4 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

Wanna do Workstation Work? You can get a OS exactly optimized for Workstation purposes

Define what, exactly, does "workstation purposes" contain and how it differs from regular desktop-usage. Go ahead, I dare you to come up with a good, specific definition for that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

Just now, PorkishPig said:

This already exists, some distros such as Ubuntu have multiple flavors available. See https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours.

Thats not what i said, none of ubuntu flavours have a specific task dedicated towards, i mean where do you see ubuntu workstation, or ubuntu cybersecurity, or ubuntu AI? 馃槣

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Define what, exactly, does "workstation purposes"

I assumed he meant like render farms and such.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @聽me @Prodigy_Smit聽for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List| Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative

Desktop聽:

i7聽8700聽| Quadro P4000 8GB聽|聽 64gb 2933Mhz cl18聽| 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro聽| 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop聽:

ASUS G14聽|聽R9 5900hs聽| RTX 3060聽|聽16GB聽3200Mhz | 1 TB聽SSD

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

I assumed he meant like render farms and such.

That's still not a specific definition. My point is that it's easy to throw around all sorts of lofty, high-level ideas, but actually thinking about the specifics is where nearly all such ideas stumble upon and die.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Define what, exactly, does "workstation purposes" contain and how it differs from regular desktop-usage. Go ahead, I dare you to come up with a good, specific definition for that.

I meant, like people who 3D render, maybe do AI or even do some heavy Video editing

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

Just now, Yea, i use windows, W said:

I meant, like people who 3D render, maybe do AI or even do some heavy Video editing

You're still not describing anything about what, exactly, would be different in such a distro versus a regular desktop-oriented distro.

7 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

Thats not what i said, none of ubuntu flavours have a specific task dedicated towards, i mean where do you see ubuntu workstation, or ubuntu cybersecurity, or ubuntu AI? 馃槣

Each flavor provides a description for its intended use case. I'm not entirely sure what you would expect to differ between a workstation and cybersecurity distro. Every flavor of Ubuntu is capable of using the exact same software, which can be installed and configured to the needs of the user.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Just now, WereCatf said:

You're still not describing anything about what, exactly, would be different in such a distro versus a regular desktop-oriented distro.

A OS which is more Optimized towards Workstation tasks, like the OS should do everything in its power to make Workstation tasks more efficient, faster

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

A OS which is more Optimized towards Workstation tasks, like the OS should do everything in its power to make Workstation tasks more efficient, faster

That's still the same kind of fluffy, no-actual-details kind of idea as you already presented. You are not describing any actual details.

Just now, WereCatf said:

That's still the same kind of fluffy, no-actual-details kind of idea as you already presented. You are not describing any actual details.

How should i explain more???聽

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

How should i explain more???聽

Exactly. You have no idea how to actually "make workstation-tasks more efficient and faster" than what you'd get with a bog-standard desktop-distro.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Exactly. You have no idea how to actually "make workstation-tasks more efficient and faster" than what you'd get with a bog-standard desktop-distro.

I just came with a idea, I thought when a person thinks that this is a good idea, we can discuss the other details, if i didnt need help, i would have never came

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

1 minute ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

we can discuss the other details

But that's what's already happening.

Just now, WereCatf said:

But that's what's already happening.

I mean, do you know how to make workstation tasks more faster, efficient and better over all??

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

I mean, do you know how to make workstation tasks more faster, efficient and better over all??

No, because "like people who 3D render, maybe do AI or even do some heavy Video editing" all work fine on a bog-standard desktop-distro.

3 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

ubuntu cybersecurity = Kali Linux, Red Hat enterprise...

ubuntu AI = Manjaro, Debian, Fedora,聽Mint or any standard desktop environment really...

7 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

"Workstation tasks" could be everything from CAD work to Videoediting to Dev/Compile to programming... The list goes on. And the truth is, further optimization of distros would get you... Maybe 3% increase? Most are already very well optimized for the workloads you've listed.聽

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list:聽https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz聽- Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus聽3x OC - SanDisk聽Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD聽

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2聽 - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno,聽Arduino Mega,聽Arduino nano (x3), Arduino聽nano pro, Atomic Pi.聽

16 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

like the OS should do everything in its power to make Workstation tasks more efficient, faster

And if somebody decides to launch a music editing program on it, then suddenly the OS should get lazy and not try to do it efficiently, just because it is the "Workstation edition" and not the "Music edition"?

1 minute ago, BrinkGG said:

ubuntu cybersecurity = Kali Linux, Red Hat enterprise...

ubuntu AI = Manjaro, Debian, Fedora,聽Mint or any standard desktop environment really...

"Workstation tasks" could be everything from CAD work to Videoediting to Dev/Compile to programming... The list goes on. And the truth is, further optimization of distros would get you... Maybe 3% increase? Most are already very well optimized for the workloads you've listed.聽

Okay... so maybe this was not a good idea lol

REMEBER TO QUOTE 馃槣

2 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Maybe 3% increase?

That's pretty optimistic.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's pretty optimistic.

Yeah I know, but that's roughly what you can get depending on work type.聽

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list:聽https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz聽- Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus聽3x OC - SanDisk聽Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2聽 - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno,聽Arduino Mega,聽Arduino nano (x3), Arduino聽nano pro, Atomic Pi.聽

18 minutes ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

Okay... so maybe this was not a good idea lol

People have been trying to do this for years. If you just google "Best linux distro for _____" and fill in your workload, there are SO many options for most workloads, or obvious best choices in some cases.聽

Need a firewall? PFSense, OPNSense, RedHat Routing, even just ubuntu with routing, DCHP and ARP tables on.聽

Need to game? Manjaro, PopOS, Fedora, Ubuntu LTS...

The list goes on, just google your need. :)

EDIT:

Also by posting a list of distros with workloads next to it, someone will probably say "bUt bRiNk, PoPOS iS bEtTeR aT gAmInG tHEn mAnJarO!!1!!" and get all butthurt.聽

To that person:

63f.jpg

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"