2070Super still relevant?

Sinister6

Hello everybody,

Considering the release of the Nvidia 3000 Series many of us will be oriented towards upgrading their GPUs, especially the Pascal owners. Right now I have a 1060 6GB and I want to switch to a 3070.

We all know the issues with the prices and the stock and I am considering to choose a 2070Super. I want to get something that works well with my setup and ofcourse I want it to be futureproof (I won't change it in the next 3-4 years ).

Setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600

Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk

Ram: 16GB @2933

PSU: Seasonic Focus 750W 80+ Gold

I am from Romania and the price of a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 3X 8GB GDDR6 256-bit is the same as MSRP of Nvidia 3070, but we all know that the 3070 will be much more, I estimate it will be around 3000RON ( Romanian currency) , 723USD.

A top implementation like ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER ROG STRIX GAMING 8GB GDDR6 256-bit is around the same price I estimate for the Nvidia 3070.

Considering Black Friday is coming, I have a feeling that the 2070 Super will cost less, maybe around 2200RON, 532USD.

What do you think it will be the correct price to buy for a 2070S instead of a 3070, so it can meet the ration price/performance.

Thank you,

Have a good day.

Future proof is a bullshit term. Until development completely stops in technology, that won't be achieved.

The 2070 Super is absolutely relevant and will be for a long time, but I wouldn't recommend buying it new. The 2000 series is all either done being manufactured or is ramping down in production. Retailers don't generally lower their prices that much on new cards, so I don't expect it to be a good deal even on Black Friday. Either watch for a 2070 Super used for around $350 (what it's arguably worth) after October 29, or just get a 3060/3070.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

. Retailers don't generally lower their prices that much on new cards, so I don't expect it to be a good deal even on Black Friday. Either watch for a 2070 Super used for around $350 (what it's arguably worth) after October 29, or just get a 3060/3070.

Judging from the MC aisle they aren't restocking its going to be difficult to sell any stock they have without reducing prices.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 minutes ago, ewitte said:

Judging from the MC aisle they aren't restocking its going to be difficult to sell any stock they have without reducing prices.

They've always managed to in the past. With demand even higher this year, it's likely to be even less of a problem.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

consider the 2070 super to be effectively a 1080ti with rtx features. if you had bought a 1080ti instead of a 1060, would you expect it to fulfill your needs for the same time period? being a first gen rtx card, it doesnt have enough raytracing performance to do anything fancy, and in games that heavily use rtx effects like control, it doesnt do great which bodes poorly for its future in upcoming raytraced games

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

If you're buying new, i don't think 2070 super is a good purchase.

You should definitely wait for 3070. Or getting 2070 / super in used market (with super cheap price ofcourse).

Since they are relatively new (only 1 year old), it is still good enough.

Is it still relevant? Yes, if you do 1440p, you still can get a proper fps with it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They've always managed to in the past. With demand even higher this year, it's likely to be even less of a problem.

Good thing they don't even have to try as they didn't replenish stock ...  All I could find was low end and AMD cards.  The 3080 was "hidden".

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

24 minutes ago, Sinister6 said:

Considering Black Friday is coming, I have a feeling that the 2070 Super will cost less

In the US, it's rare that good graphics cards and gaming components go on sale. Usually the best you'll get is a motherboard/ram/CPU bundle. Might be the same in Romania, but if you get a good discount then go for it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Future proof is a bullshit term. Until development completely stops in technology, that won't be achieved.

no, not really. Really, when someone says future poof, they usually mean to make it more usable farther down the line, which is perfectly viable. So, just for once, try not to be a dick about someone using future proof, when they just want it to be usable for a bit.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Forgot to mention that I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor.

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 2070 Super is absolutely relevant and will be for a long time, but I wouldn't recommend buying it new. The 2000 series is all either done being manufactured or is ramping down in production. Retailers don't generally lower their prices that much on new cards, so I don't expect it to be a good deal even on Black Friday. Either watch for a 2070 Super used for around $350 (what it's arguably worth) after October 29, or just get a 3060/3070.

The 1080Ti is faster than the 2070S but you don't get the RTX features. The 1080Ti is slightly slower than the 2080 which puts it between the 2070S and the 2080 but closer to the 2080

https://www.techspot.com/review/1881-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, not really. Really, when someone says future poof, they usually mean to make it more usable farther down the line, which is perfectly viable. So, just for once, try not to be a dick about someone using future proof, when they just want it to be usable for a bit.

You also can't know what the future holds in dev terms. For gaming for example with he new consoles getting 8 good CPU cores having anything less on PC might hamper performance.

I have an ROG Strix 2070 Super currently with an i7 9700k CPU  and gaming at 1440p in COD MW/ BZ I'm getting ~120 fps at 165hz (Dell 32" gaming monitor) so I would say that it is absolutely relevant especially as others have posted if you can find one used for around $400 or so. With a 1080p monitor like yours you will get a good couple of years out of a 2070S in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

You also can't know what the future holds in dev terms. For gaming for example with he new consoles getting 8 good CPU cores having anything less on PC might hamper performance.

using console specs is always a good baseline for "futureproofing." as a result of next gen specs i'm expecting nvme ssd speeds providing a good reduction in load times compared to sata ssds, 12-16 threads utilized, 16gb of ram staying relevant (though 32gb will be a nice, reasonable upgrade), 8-10gb of vram staying relevant, etc.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1070 and upwards seems to be relevent for a long time, especially in 1080p gaming.

of course with a demand for RTX, then the 2070 will struggle in some titles with RTX on.. i would not recommend anyone buying a 2xxx series Nvidia or a 5700xt, simply because on the used marked they are still to expensive, and the 3070 seems to be the best choice then and maybe the new 3060TI... 

but there is no reason to upgrade, for me neither i have the 1080ti it works fine, i have a 3080 in the mail, but that is more just curiosity than it is a "need" to play games.

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

using console specs is always a good baseline for "futureproofing." as a result of next gen specs i'm expecting nvme ssd speeds providing a good reduction in load times compared to sata ssds, 12-16 threads utilized, 16gb of ram staying relevant (though 32gb will be a nice, reasonable upgrade), 8-10gb of vram staying relevant, etc.

tbf I've just bought a 1080Ti for about £300, expecting the RTX 3060 to have around the same performance as the 2070/S and all the cards I'm seeing for the 3000 series are 2.5 slot which my case won't like.

One of the reasons for this upgrade is Cyberpunk 2077, even tho the game requirements are not that high, I would like to run the game at max settings and RTX where it is possible. Even 3060 would be a good choice to be honest.

28 minutes ago, Sinister6 said:

Forgot to mention that I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor.

I doubt you'll see the 2070 go much on sale, at least not to what you are suggesting unless you are buying at a local shop.

You can wait till black friday and see, I doubt you'll see stock for the 3070 by then anyway.

About the monitor, consider upgrading I'm in the same boat, a 3070 will be a bit overkill for 1080p, just like the RTX2080TI is overkill for 1080p.

It's also something you can do down the line, purchase the GPU, upgrade the monitor later, however if you have no intention in upgrading the GPU i'd wait for the 3060.

Thank you all for the answers and for the opinions, I'll wait to see how much is the 3070 gonna be and what will happen with 3060Ti.