RAM 4x8gb or 2x16gb

Weird question popped into my head. is there a perceptible difference in performance between 2 pc's with same specs.

One has 4, 8 gb sticks of ram. (4x8)

The other 2, 16 gb sticks of ram.(2x16)

Both dual channel. has there been tests to show this?

future expansion is one argument but not the question I'm looking to have answered.

thoughts? videos? benchmarks?

1 hour ago, Aspryin said:

between 2 pc's with same specs.

On consumer platforms like AM4, lga1151,1200,1150 etc etc, the cpu's only have 2 memory channels, so assuming these sticks are identical in specs, they'll perform the same and 4 sticks put more pressure on the imc so you might not be able to achieve as high of speeds as with 2 sticks and with 2 stick, you'll have room for upgradability down the line, on HEDT/ TR/ platforms that have more than 2 memory channels and can run quad channel memory, you can see a performance improvement. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Not much. I think i saw a video done on this though. It will depend on the rank of the memory sticks. Four single rank ddr4 in dual channel will act as dual rank. Though the difference is hardly noticeable wither way.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

In general NO.

But to be specific, the one with 2x ram will run (teeny tiny) faster than 4x ram.

Motherboard will run it at faster memory speed on 2x compared to 4x.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w