Best sata SSD for game storage

Hello,

I am wondering what would be the best SSD for game storage, I already have a 1TB m.2 SN550 as a boot drive and storage for now and will be buying the samsung gen4 pcie SSD as the new boot drive whenever that is out which will take up all the m.2 slots on my x570 tomahawk. So in the meantime I am wondering what is the fastest 2TB or bigger SSD that is reasonable for a game drive? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

EDIT: I was thinking about the MX500 or the WD Blue

Crucial MX500, Samsung 860 EVO/QVO, ADATA SU800, WD Blue - just to name a few.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

i mean for just games you can get something really cheap as it doesnt really matter if it has dram or is tlc or whatever. do you really need the burst speed performance of the 980 pro? cause thats all it really offers, at twice the price or more of a typical nvme

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Thank you mate thats what I was looking at, seems like the best choice

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i mean for just games you can get something really cheap as it doesnt really matter if it has dram or is tlc or whatever. do you really need the burst speed performance of the 980 pro? cause thats all it really offers, at twice the price or more of a typical nvme

The 980 Pro would be my boot drive and for crucial applications not the game drive.

10 minutes ago, Jan_GB said:

The 980 Pro would be my boot drive and for crucial applications not the game drive.

sure but its honestly a waste of money. youre obviously free to do what you want but id suggest just splurging on a 2tb sata for games and keep using the sn550 for boot and such. theres already minimal differences between a sata and nvme for boot and games, let alone 3.0 to 4.0. main use case for pcie 4.0 drives is as scratch disks for 4k video editing or similar large file sizes that need transferred often and quickly. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

sure but its honestly a waste of money. youre obviously free to do what you want but id suggest just splurging on a 2tb sata for games and keep using the sn550 for boot and such. theres already minimal differences between a sata and nvme for boot and games, let alone 3.0 to 4.0. main use case for pcie 4.0 drives is as scratch disks for 4k video editing or similar large file sizes that need transferred often and quickly. 

I'm not sure you're getting what I meant, I would have the 980 pro as a boot drive, the sn550 as another spare drive and I am also looking for a big 2 or 4tb sata drive for games. So in total I'd have 3 drives

26 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I'd agree with these except for the QVO whose performance seems to show it is very immature while the pricing isn't anywhere good enough to choose it over the TLC drives (looking at newegg now I'm not even seeing a price advantage at the moment).

Generally the MX500 and WD Blue 3D are the go to choices for fast, reliable SSD mass storage.

The EVO line is very good but tends to be pricer than it needs to be (very few people are running workloads in which the EVO's superior attributes make any difference and most that are would be better served by an NVME)

The SU800 is a good option though if they're the same price I'd still go with one of the first two. But if you can save some money then by all means buy one.

4 minutes ago, Kedohawyr said:

-snip-

Spot on. 

I put the QVO in there since we're talking about strictly a games drive here, and it should work just fine even if it does use QLC flash (it still has a DRAM cache). That being said, since it's got the Samsung tax on it, I find that you can generally find an MX500 or a WD Blue for the same price as it, and those are on par with the higher-end 860 EVO.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

11 minutes ago, Jan_GB said:

I'm not sure you're getting what I meant, I would have the 980 pro as a boot drive, the sn550 as another spare drive and I am also looking for a big 2 or 4tb sata drive for games. So in total I'd have 3 drives

i get ya, but youd be paying a lot more for the 980 pro than you should, another sn550 would be a perfect and much cheaper choice for filling up the other nvme slot

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i get ya, but youd be paying a lot more for the 980 pro than you should, another sn550 would be a perfect and much cheaper choice for filling up the other nvme slot

Yeah I know but I've got PCI 4 might aswell use it right, I don't mind spending more anyway

3 hours ago, Jan_GB said:

Yeah I know but I've got PCI 4 might aswell use it right, I don't mind spending more anyway

eh fair enough lmao. imo id wait for the upcoming sabrent then, its supposed to be faster than the 980 pro since the 980 pro was unexpectedly not great

topics i need help on:

Spoiler