How durable is ethernet port?

Guys how easy is it to break Ethernet port? Today 3 guys came to setup home network and were struggling to put Ethernet in my PC, I think its probably because of how hard it is to reach my PC IO panel.

After many failed attempts I saw how frustrated he became since it's his job to do these kind of thing and he even refused my help. After many attempts he then started adding a lot force, the other guy noticed and connected the cable himself and then started laughing at him later because of his stupidity.

I'm worried that because of his stupidity he might've caused some damaged to my mobo Ethernet port. Is there's a way to know if there's any damage or not?

does it work?

then it's not damaged,

but in general i feel like you'd break the header on the ethernet cable (if it's the plastic ones) prior to the port itself

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

I've never seen an ethernet port fail from physical abuse personally, so I'd assume it's pretty resilient. You could always just look at the port yourself and make sure it isn't damage, or the port itself isn't bent backwards or lifting from the motherboard at all.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Only way to know for sure if you plug in a cable and see if it the ethernet port works or not..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

5 minutes ago, flashiling said:

does it work?

then it's not damaged,

but in general i feel like you'd break the header on the ethernet cable (if it's the plastic ones) prior to the port itself

Yes it's working, but if the port was damaged will it cause slower speed or ping or will there be no network in Ethernet at all?

2 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Only way to know for sure if you plug in a cable and see if it the ethernet port works or not..

It seems to be working. If it was damaged will there be no network in Ethernet or the data transfer speed and ping will be reduce slightly?

They are quite robust. About the only way to damage it is if you have a mechanically bad plug, or totally wrong plug pushed in it. That can push the contacts out of place.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Ishit Singh said:

It seems to be working. If it was damaged will there be no network in Ethernet or the data transfer speed and ping will be reduce slightly?

Short answer would be it either works or doesn't work.

It is supposed to adapt to bad conditions, so if it can't run at full speed it can try to run at lower speed, for example if you have an old/bad cable. This shouldn't impact the plug/socket.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, Suika said:

I've never seen an ethernet port fail from physical abuse personally, so I'd assume it's pretty resilient. You could always just look at the port yourself and make sure it isn't damage, or the port itself isn't bent backwards or lifting from the motherboard at all.

3 minutes ago, porina said:

They are quite robust. About the only way to damage it is if you have a mechanically bad plug, or totally wrong plug pushed in it. That can push the contacts out of place.

Here's the picture of ethernet port condition

1045565105_Screenshot2020-10-01151416.jpg.a3f05106a81d0bc99626a9044f9c77c4.jpg

it's fine

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Something I know for sure is that the ethernet cables don’t like when lightning goes thru them neither does the router nor other end

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

15 hours ago, Ishit Singh said:

Guys how easy is it to break Ethernet port? Today 3 guys came to setup home network and were struggling to put Ethernet in my PC, I think its probably because of how hard it is to reach my PC IO panel.

After many failed attempts I saw how frustrated he became since it's his job to do these kind of thing and he even refused my help. After many attempts he then started adding a lot force, the other guy noticed and connected the cable himself and then started laughing at him later because of his stupidity.

I'm worried that because of his stupidity he might've caused some damaged to my mobo Ethernet port. Is there's a way to know if there's any damage or not?

I'd be more concerned he was trying to plug it into the wrong port as there is no way it should have been hard to plug into that port.

I've probably plugged in ethernet blind a thousand times and its only ever hard if the IO panel is slightly off or you're struggling around something plugged into USB underneath (presumably the case here).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7