How many versions are yet to be released in the 3080 line?

Grihm

In short, just how many more models and variants can we expect in the 3080 series release that has not yet been seen?

Any chance more will pop up when the 3070 comes out, or do you think this all are already out?

all the ones that matters should've been announced

though some of them are revising their PCB (and possibly firmware) to address the crashing issues, so you may have to look out when buying a card recently

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

all the ones that matters should've been announced

though some of them are revising their PCB (and possibly firmware) to address the crashing issues, so you may have to look out when buying a card recently

Yeah i´m more looking for aesthetics options, due to a planned build i have. It´s 200 usd between the TUF card that has gotten a lot of praise, and the EVGA one that would fit nicely. A bit of a stretch really just when looks are concerned. 

Just now, Grihm said:

Yeah i´m more looking for aesthetics options, due to a planned build i have. It´s 200 usd between the TUF card that has gotten a lot of praise, and the EVGA one that would fit nicely. A bit of a stretch really just when looks are concerned. 

afaik, all cards are affected by the crash, so i would highly advise against buying a card now until it's fully solved

unless you want to deal with it, then sure

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

afaik, all cards are affected by the crash, so i would highly advise against buying a card now until it's fully solved

Yeah i´m not really in a super rush to get one, but one do considers the price raising as well and get a bit stressed out about it. Feel´s like it would be a fair game for companies to extend that graze period since they are having issues.

Wait for the AMD GPU announcement and Nvidia will magically pull further versions out of their arses. You'll see mate. Just chill and wait instead of being obsessed.

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Wait for the AMD GPU announcement and Nvidia will magically pull further versions out of their arses. You'll see mate. Just chill and wait instead of being obsessed.

Last time i was obsessed with a release was back in the He-Man days.

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

all aibs. nvidia s fine, they had game ready drivers, since they made them.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

FE cards were having the problem too actually according to some owners and testers. But the latest driver update has fixed 3080s across the board including AIB and FE so it’s not really worth worrying about anymore.

FE VRAM temps are awful though so it’s not like Nvidia automatically has the best card...

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

40 minutes ago, Exeon said:

Looks dope, however with everything that went on with Zotac I wouldn't buy a GPU that hides it's capacitors.

I would not be to concerned with Gigabyte..and also, the capacitor issue is as far as i see it a software solution away. I never OC anything, so i´l be fine with my needs anyways. 

On 9/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

On 9/30/2020 at 6:37 PM, Moonzy said:

afaik the problem comes when the gpu goes above 2000mhz and my evga ftw3 has no problem with crashing so far even when it spikes to 2040mhz

Just now, spartaman64 said:

afaik the problem comes when the gpu goes above 2000mhz and my evga ftw3 has no problem with crashing so far even when it spikes to 2040mhz

yea, some cards aren't affected, while some are

but all models have this issue, so it's like trying to win the lottery, i guess

think it's suspected to be software issues now? we'll have to see

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea, some cards aren't affected, while some are

but all models have this issue, so it's like trying to win the lottery, i guess

think it's suspected to be software issues now? we'll have to see

all the driver that "fixes" it does is locks the boost at below 2000mhz

Just now, spartaman64 said:

all the driver that "fixes" it does is locks the card at below 2000mhz

Even if that is just for now... what´s the problem?

Me personally...i have no plans at any point in time to be needing to go above 2000 anyways.

Besides... part from a software fix..what are people expecting?

2 minutes ago, Grihm said:

Me personally...i have no plans at any point in time to be needing to go above 2000 anyways.

that to me feels like a band-aid fix than a proper fix

the root cause is still to be found

but if you're that eager, go for it

it's not like you cant RMA it if it doesnt work.

2 minutes ago, Grihm said:

Even if that is just for now... what´s the problem?

Besides... part from a software fix..what are people expecting?

for some of the cards they were boosting above 2000 by default ie at stock with no oc. and people expected AiBs to not cheap out on the power delivery i guess which is one of the main causes of the problem 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that to me feels like a band-aid fix than a proper fix

the root cause is still to be found

but if you're that eager, go for it

it's not like you cant RMA it if it doesnt work.

Well, looking at the problem, the only solution part from a software one would be a fully new production line of new cards. Really don´t see that coming. However, it could be fixed hardware wise when the 70 card comes, and the TI versions as well.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

for some of the cards they were boosting above 2000 by default ie at stock with no oc. and people expected AiBs to not cheap out on the power delivery i guess which is one of the main causes of the problem 

I think for sure that thew cards should NOT crash...that´s a given. But... a lot of the focus seems to be on just that.. Overclocking. For the general consumer this issue will probably never be seen...but that does not however remove the issue.

As said.. hopefully the 70 and future TI cards..as well as the 20+ gb cards could be remade and hardware fixed.

3 minutes ago, Grihm said:

However, it could be fixed hardware wise when the 70 card comes, and the TI versions as well.

personally think the variance of the die's capability is higher than expected, and the solution is to apply firmware to not boost as high by default.

that's probably the route they're going with

that said, 2000 vs 2100mhz, no one can tell when playing a game anyways, and it's still a good card

but having it crash out of the box is not a great experience.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

personally think the variance of the die's capability is higher than expected, and the solution is to apply firmware to not boost as high by default.

that's probably the route they're going with

that said, 2000 vs 2100mhz, no one can tell when playing a game anyways, and it's still a good card

but having it crash out of the box is not a great experience.

I can see the people wanting to OC and all that... but looking at the cards main function, i do have to set with that they are made for gaming, and they seem to produce more than enough to handle anything thrown at them.

This card with it´s white theme is a very nice product, and i do know i am looking for looks as well. Hope more have a white line coming.

20 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

all the driver that "fixes" it does is locks the boost at below 2000mhz

GN tested that and the performance was the same before and after the update.  Something else is up and this typically happens new generations anyway.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Just now, ewitte said:

GN tested that and the performance was the same before and after the update.  Something else is up and this typically happens new generations anyway.

well its only like 45mhz at most and 5mhz for most cards so probably the difference is barely noticeable