USB to Ethernet to Raspberry Pi

Hello.

I'm trying to set up a system where My main computer is connected through it's ethernet port, a USB to ethernet box connected through USB on my main computer, and the ethernet cable connected to my raspberry Pi. However, when I try to use it, It sits with both lights on, no activity. I'm not as smart with internet as with PC parts, and I can't use a proxy on this internet. Can anyone help?

2 hours ago, CaptainMalware said:

Hello.

I'm trying to set up a system where My main computer is connected through it's ethernet port, a USB to ethernet box connected through USB on my main computer, and the ethernet cable connected to my raspberry Pi. However, when I try to use it, It sits with both lights on, no activity. I'm not as smart with internet as with PC parts, and I can't use a proxy on this internet. Can anyone help?

1. Which version of the RPi?
  2. Which USB ethernet adapter?
  3. Is the computer detecting that the NIC is connected to something?
  4. What are you trying to achieve here?

47 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. Which version of the RPi?
  2. Which USB ethernet adapter?
  3. Is the computer detecting that the NIC is connected to something?
  4. What are you trying to achieve here?

I am using the raspberry Pi 4, and it’s labeled as a “SMART CAT5 to USB extender”. I don’t think it does detect it, as nothing happens (both lights stay on instead of the yellow light flashing) and I’m trying to set up an RPI for use as a media centre.

what are you actually trying to achieve, with this? im confused as to why you would do what your asking when you could just plug boh device to a switch and run then both directly off the lan.

1 hour ago, CaptainMalware said:

I am using the raspberry Pi 4, and it’s labeled as a “SMART CAT5 to USB extender”. I don’t think it does detect it, as nothing happens (both lights stay on instead of the yellow light flashing) and I’m trying to set up an RPI for use as a media centre.

Plug the RPi into a port on your router using the built-in ethernet and configure it via SSH over the LAN.

Why are you not using the built-in NIC? It should be gigabit-rated.

30 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Plug the RPi into a port on your router using the built-in ethernet and configure it via SSH over the LAN.

Why are you not using the built-in NIC? It should be gigabit-rated.

1 hour ago, CerberusStyle said:

what are you actually trying to achieve, with this? im confused as to why you would do what your asking when you could just plug boh device to a switch and run then both directly off the lan.

I'm doing this because A network switch is not accessible, and I'm trying to make it so everything runs off of one LAN port. I only have one NIC on my computer and I need somehow and someway for my computer to "Share" It's internet with the raspberry Pi.

1 hour ago, CaptainMalware said:

I'm doing this because A network switch is not accessible, and I'm trying to make it so everything runs off of one LAN port. I only have one NIC on my computer and I need somehow and someway for my computer to "Share" It's internet with the raspberry Pi.

So plugging in a simple gigabit unmanaged switch at the "networking socket" and wiring your computer and RPi into the switch isn't an option?

Have you looked within Network Connections to see if the ethernet/USB adapter is being detected?

your setup plain wont work as it not designed to work like that, you would be better to either buy a switch and plug both items to it and then to the socket or go wifi and setup the pi or PC as a wifi hub and do it that way.

2 hours ago, CerberusStyle said:

your setup plain wont work as it not designed to work like that, you would be better to either buy a switch and plug both items to it and then to the socket or go wifi and setup the pi or PC as a wifi hub and do it that way.

Not true, if you bridge both adapters in the PC it WILL work as the PC becomes a Gigabit switch.

I would highly recommend using a proper Gigabit switch though as then the Pi will still work when the PC is off and no stupid USB adapter to go wrong.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7