Mounting hdd in custom case

PWforPower
Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
3 minutes ago, PWforPower said:

I've thought about mouting hdd vertically to back off big motherboard tray which have a lot free space, where hdd would be hidden and custom mounted with lenovo 3.5 hdd bracket then adhesed to metal motherboard tray with hook and loop self adhesive tape so that bracket with hdd in it be adhesed to tray with tape. 

Is it right, can hdd be broken or overheated or something other. 

The HDD will work perfectly fine behind the motherboard tray or in the rear panel as shown in existing cases like the Define S2

Fractal-Design-Define-S2-Chassis-Review-on-KitGuru-Open-Cable-Management-Side.jpg

Heat usually only becomes a problem when you have multiple HDD's stacked on top of each other in a close and closed space such as in a NAS tower. Which you do not have. 

I've thought about mouting hdd vertically to back off big motherboard tray which have a lot free space, where hdd would be hidden and custom mounted with lenovo 3.5 hdd bracket then adhesed to metal motherboard tray with hook and loop self adhesive tape so that bracket with hdd in it be adhesed to tray with tape. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-3-5-drive-bracket-4XF0K93941/dp/B01F1XG4DC#

image.png.ea54b3049daa21d25542f3d7465b10c4.png

https://www.acesupplies.co.uk/products/ripfast-self-adhesive-hook-and-loop-tape/

image.png.905036eb97f6b2eccd47250c6f433c0a.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/128397/does-hard-drive-orientation-affect-its-lifespan/amp/

*moderators plss warn me to delete link if it isn't supported, dont delete whole post*

I want it to stay like this

image.png.e81995a1c8d483d61c8be2a132fc7ab0.png

I've ridden some posts on LTT about mounting hdd and all that shlts, but I have custom motherboard tray which doesn't support modern hdd mouting, so I must make it ! 

20200930_145110.thumb.jpg.cb0ad522b4d5d5055e191036794c4fcf.jpg

I haven't done cable management yet, so you can see where I would mount it.

All custom mounting hdd parts I already have. 

Just now, PWforPower said:

-SNIP-

Mounting a drive on the back isn't a problem given that there is some space for heat dissipation and it's done securely. I would personally recommend using 3M dual Lock over Velcro as it doesn't let go overtime and try to find a metal tray with a lot of surface area of the dual lock to adhere to. 

3 minutes ago, PWforPower said:

The HDD will work perfectly fine behind the motherboard tray or in the rear panel as shown in existing cases like the Define S2

Fractal-Design-Define-S2-Chassis-Review-on-KitGuru-Open-Cable-Management-Side.jpg

Heat usually only becomes a problem when you have multiple HDD's stacked on top of each other in a close and closed space such as in a NAS tower. Which you do not have. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

What do you think, is it okay to mount hdd with method in post

1 minute ago, PWforPower said:

What do you think, is it okay to mount hdd with method in post

Yes

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25