Can't change any values regarding Clocks, etc

cfrozer

Hello! I am having an issue with my GPU, 1080 Ti FTW 3, When I try to change anything up or down, the entire system locks up & I have to reset it to be able to use it again. The only thing I can change is the fan speed & the LED's. (not the G/P/M ones, those also lock up the system) I noticed that the clocks will not go above "1569MHz", Mem clock is stuck at 5508MHz & the voltage seems to be stuck at 0.800Mv.
I have attempted to fix the issue on my own. I have done a fresh driver install using DDU, safemode, reseating the GPU, different 8-pin VGA cables. But I am not at a loss. There clearly is an issue here & looks to be power related to me. 
Today, when I logged onto my computer & loaded a game, the overall performance was higher, I checked EVGA precision X1 & saw that it looked to be normal. I was happy, I was able to change the clocks, power limit, etc. This was until the system crashed as a result of a unstable OC & had reverted back to how it was prior. 
I attached a GPU-Z Sensor log while running FUR MARK for about 10 minutes.
I also attached EVGA Precision X1, a screenshot of GPU Z, & the SYS tray of open programs. 
I just had done a OS reinstall in hopes to fix other OS issues & this one, the OS issues have been resolved, but the GPU one remains. 
I have attempted to contact EVGA support, but I have not heard back when I submitted the ticket on the 17th.

EVGA.JPG

GPUz.JPG

systray.JPG

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

20 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

EVGA Precision X1

Have you tried e.g. MSI Afterburner instead?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, I first saw the issue on MSI afterburner

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This. As much as I love EVGA, Precision X1 is hot garbage. Any time I used it to try and change settings on my 1080Ti, GPU utilization would mysteriously drop below 90% in benchmarks. Afterburner is just plain better software.

EDIT: just saw you replied while I was writing my post. If it’s not OC software related not sure what to recommend.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Hey, John "it's over 14000!" uses EVGA Precision...

26 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

Hello, Windows Defender here, a virus scan is due, please check security center, sir!

Also, sir, I do believe I spotted your errors (besides not checking Windows Defender which you definitely should though!) you *must* put power and temp target to the maximum, otherwise you cannot successfully overclock a GPU in most cases.

Also I would honestly suggest to look up some basic overclocking guides on yt or something as it is rather difficult to explain it all in text form...

Tldr: set your power and temp targets appropriately before starting to over clock your card . 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah... Some people have a single issue once with a piece of software, then assume the entire thing is garbage for the rest of their lives. Do they not know that the program can be patched?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

maybe the bios is a bit buggy? you can find nvflash and bios for different cards from techpowerup, make sure you keep a backup of what the card currently has.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Hello, Windows Defender here, a virus scan is due, please check security center, sir!

Also, sir, I do believe I spotted your errors (besides not checking Windows Defender which you definitely should though!) you *must* put power and temp target to the maximum, otherwise you cannot successfully overclock a GPU in most cases.

Also I would honestly suggest to look up some basic overclocking guides on yt or something as it is rather difficult to explain it all in text form...

Tldr: set your power and temp targets appropriately before starting to over clock your card . 

18 minutes ago, FaxedForward said:

This. As much as I love EVGA, Precision X1 is hot garbage. Any time I used it to try and change settings on my 1080Ti, GPU utilization would mysteriously drop below 90% in benchmarks. Afterburner is just plain better software.

EDIT: just saw you replied while I was writing my post. If it’s not OC software related not sure what to recommend.

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Yeah... Some people have a single issue once with a piece of software, then assume the entire thing is garbage for the rest of their lives. Do they not know that the program can be patched?

I'll uninstall EVGA X1 & try it then but I do not think that the X1 software is the issue 

Hey Windows defender get off my case! I have my own AV!

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

Removal of the X1 software did not change anything. 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I am not able to change the power sliders, as I stated.  this is the FTW3 card that has a factory OC, but I think the card is running at the reference base clock iirc

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

7 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

I am not able to change the power sliders, as I stated.  this is the FTW3 card that has a factory OC, but I think the card is running at the reference base clock iirc

copy the bios out through gpu z and checksum it against the database on techpowerup? they should have the bios for like every card ever 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

copy the bios out through gpu z and checksum it against the database on techpowerup? they should have the bios for like every card ever 

How would I go about the "checksum"? I just saved the bios.

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

2 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

How would I go about the "checksum"? I just saved the bios.

tbf i dunno how to do it on windows, msoft provides this tool which may work but maybe wait to see if anyone else here knows more on the windows side https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11533

oh yeah youll need to download a 1080ti ftw3 bios file from techpowerup's database, sorry if that wasnt clear 

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=10DE-1B06-3842-6696

there are 4 which should all be different, may be different factory ocs and revisions

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

45 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

Alright,yeah that's odd, hopefully installing another Bios helps the case then...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

tbf i dunno how to do it on windows, msoft provides this tool which may work but maybe wait to see if anyone else here knows more on the windows side https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11533

oh yeah youll need to download a 1080ti ftw3 bios file from techpowerup's database, sorry if that wasnt clear 

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=10DE-1B06-3842-6696

there are 4 which should all be different, may be different factory ocs and revisions

Yeah I do have a dual bios card, it still persists during on the other one. I will look into flashing it

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

Yeah I saw that, the "perfcap reason" said "idle"

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

25 minutes ago, That_Something_ said:

Yeah I saw that, the "perfcap reason" said "idle"

Even while running a game? That's expected while on desktop.

6 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Even while running a game? That's expected while on desktop.

Yup

Capture.JPG

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't know who that is. Also, why should I care who uses what?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I don't know who that is. Also, why should I care who uses what?

It's the guy from BeardedHardware, the first person to exceed a 14000 score on the Port Royale benchmark during the Gamers Nexus livestream. He trades places with the other world record holders regularly, and uses Precision pretty exclusively due to it having greater control, and having more recent updates.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

12 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

It's the guy from BeardedHardware, the first person to exceed a 14000 score on the Port Royale benchmark during the Gamers Nexus livestream. He trades places with the other world record holders regularly, and uses Precision pretty exclusively due to it having greater control, and having more recent updates.

No wonder I didn't know who that was, since I've never cared about who is at the top of such things and who isn't.