Will 3090 or 3080 work with my setup

rrivera
Just now, Moonzy said:

it's up to op to see if it's worth it

100% price for 15% perf, most people would say no

but they are not OP

People spend thousands of dollars on mediocre apple garbage. So, its everyones choice.

24GB VRAM can be a huge advantage, depending what OP is going to do with the Card.

I personyl would wait for the 20GB VRAM 3080, which im sure will be come sooner or later.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i just looked for a video

10700k vs 8700k, both at 5GHz, diff is ~5%

Reveal hidden contents

of course, depends if OP can actually clock that high, 5GHz should be do-able for more 8700k

who says he is overclocking. i am building a 10850k system but i dont overclock. i buy overclocking skus because of lack of available of non overclocking skus and as well as resell ability of the k sku

Thanks for all the replies.  As soon as I can get my hands on one it sounds like I'll be getting a 3080 since my current rig's mobo/psu can support the upgrade and I'm not even using a 4k display. RAM sounds appealing too since I have 2 extra slots and I suppose I could do a 4x8 at 3600mhz or something so maybe I'll do that.

1 minute ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

who says he is overclocking

who to say he isnt -shrug-

again, it's up to op to figure things out and determine if it's worth it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

who to say he isnt -shrug-

again, it's up to op to figure things out and determine if it's worth it

exactly. only op can make the decision whether upgrading cpu is worth the cost

42 minutes ago, Praesi said:

People spend thousands of dollars on mediocre apple garbage. So, its everyones choice.

24GB VRAM can be a huge advantage, depending what OP is going to do with the Card.

I personyl would wait for the 20GB VRAM 3080, which im sure will be come sooner or later.

He'd need to like upgrade anything else too though to take advantage of such a monster card...it's a whole lot of money for what is basically pretty much overkill for gaming...

Last sentence I agree, I too would wait for  3080 upgrade,  those first gen 3000 cards are so far rather disappointing with low vram and the whole  "capacitor fiasco" ,definitely worth waiting.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I don't know if bumping topics work on this site, but I figured I'll try to post on this topic I've previously started instead of starting a brand new post, since it's basically asking a similar question.

With the Radeon anti-Nvidia hype entering the tech news lately, I was wondering if the 6900xt/6800xt would fit on this same rig I have set up, specified on my initial post on this thread.  My previous inquiry was resolved with regards to the 3080 and 3090 (3080 coming out on top for my preference/budget/rig), but now, after the Nvidia fiasco's come to pass, and the new rx6900/rx6800 hype train surfacing, I'm wondering if this line of video card will still be plug & play to my rig. 

I guess tl;dr, will my cpu/mobo/psu accomodate a 6800xt if I were to go this route instead of the nvidia 3080.

Thanks and regards to all!