Xiaomi 32p UW - Not fully satisfied, what should I do?

Ozozuz

Hello guys, a few days ago I've received from Amazon my Xiaomi 34p ultrawide but i have i few complains.
First of all, i'm having some problems with the freesync, but given how positive are most of the feedbacks about it I will skip it and "mainly" consider it as a problem on my side.

What is annoying me the most, is a "glow"on ALL the bottom side of the display, from left to right, that literally change the color of any dark content.
Example is the desktop client of Telegram, or even reddit itself, dark backgrounds take on a different shade, much more faded.
Kind hard to get a pick of it, much more visible in person, AE-AF locked in both pics.
https://imgur.com/uwwSckE

Is this normal for a VA? Do you think i can have more luck with a replacement or this is expected for this type of panel?
 It's not a dealbreaker but as a dark-theme abuser I find it really very annoying.

5 hours ago, Ozozuz said:

Hello guys, a few days ago I've received from Amazon my Xiaomi 34p ultrawide but i have i few complains.
First of all, i'm having some problems with the freesync, but given how positive are most of the feedbacks about it I will skip it and "mainly" consider it as a problem on my side.

What is annoying me the most, is a "glow"on ALL the bottom side of the display, from left to right, that literally change the color of any dark content.
Example is the desktop client of Telegram, or even reddit itself, dark backgrounds take on a different shade, much more faded.
Kind hard to get a pick of it, much more visible in person, AE-AF locked in both pics.
https://imgur.com/uwwSckE

Is this normal for a VA? Do you think i can have more luck with a replacement or this is expected for this type of panel?
 It's not a dealbreaker but as a dark-theme abuser I find it really very annoying.

I think you just get a bad panel. I have a AOC CU34G2X which uses the same panel as the Xiaomi. My panel has very minimum light bleed. However mine sucks at 144Hz. So I set it at 120Hz.

You get what you pay for. Buying less expensive monitor is like buying lottery. If you really can't stand the bottom light bleed, return it.

9 hours ago, Deli said:

I think you just get a bad panel. I have a AOC CU34G2X which uses the same panel as the Xiaomi. My panel has very minimum light bleed. However mine sucks at 144Hz. So I set it at 120Hz.

You get what you pay for. Buying less expensive monitor is like buying lottery. If you really can't stand the bottom light bleed, return it.

I know that this is a cheap panel with a lot of compromises, but I'm perfectly fine with it.
What it's bothering me a lot is the "glow" that i tried to show in the picture, since I'm a committed dark theme user, expecially un linux, I find it very distracting.

I mean, I'm more than happy to ask for a replacement for the monitor if i can i may get a better panel, I'm just not sure if this kind of "glow" in this kind of position is a characteristic of VA.

2 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

I know that this is a cheap panel with a lot of compromises, but I'm perfectly fine with it.
What it's bothering me a lot is the "glow" that i tried to show in the picture, since I'm a committed dark theme user, expecially un linux, I find it very distracting.

I mean, I'm more than happy to ask for a replacement for the monitor if i can i may get a better panel, I'm just not sure if this kind of "glow" in this kind of position is a characteristic of VA.

A little bit glow is normal for VA and IPS. But to the point of altering colour is way too much.

Just now, Deli said:

A little bit glow is normal for VA and IPS. But to the point of altering colour is way too much.

And you you think that the scenario in the picture fall in the "too much" definition?
Sorry if I'm boring, but it's my first VA and I don't have meters of comparison :c 

13 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

And you you think that the scenario in the picture fall in the "too much" definition?
Sorry if I'm boring, but it's my first VA and I don't have meters of comparison :c 

I can only say mine has much less glow than yours. VA panel is also what Samsung uses in their QLED TV(although with better quality control). So in general, VA is fine, as long as you don't get a dud. In this case, I think you get a sub-standard one.

Thanks for your answer, I'm pretty sure I will return it.
I have to decide if i should replace it with the same model or wait for the Gigabyte G34WQC, but ther is no ETA here in italy :c 

12 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

Up! Looking for any other opinions 😄

Hardware Unboxed just uploads a review of this monitor. Seems Xiaomi manages to squeeze more out of this panel than AOC. Much higher brightness, 380 nits vs 260 nits, and better contrast. And the design looks less gamer, a plus.

For the price it's still a good buy. I suggest you return yours and get a replacement. It could be just a sub-standard panel. If the second one turns out to be as bad. Then maybe you can think getting a different model.

12 hours ago, Deli said:

Hardware Unboxed just uploads a review of this monitor. Seems Xiaomi manages to squeeze more out of this panel than AOC. Much higher brightness, 380 nits vs 260 nits, and better contrast. And the design looks less gamer, a plus.

For the price it's still a good buy. I suggest you return yours and get a replacement. It could be just a sub-standard panel. If the second one turns out to be as bad. Then maybe you can think getting a different model.

Do you know how to read this graph? "taken from the vid"
https://imgur.com/NxBTiqC

Does it only state the "difference" between the various cells of the grid compared to center? Or there is a way to understand if there are brighter spots "like the bottom part of my display"?
Thanks again btw!

4 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

Do you know how to read this graph? "taken from the vid"
https://imgur.com/NxBTiqC

Does it only state the "difference" between the various cells of the grid compared to center? Or there is a way to understand if there are brighter spots "like the bottom part of my display"?
Thanks again btw!

Usually the edges and corners will be dimmer than the center, it's called vignetting. At the center the value is "zero'. The top-left corner has a value of 13.6. Which is much dimmer than the center.

Your monitor has light bleed at the bottom. Which is a different problem.