Quiet Case and good airflow

Heywhatsup

Hey there guys, I'm going to be upgrading to a 3080 and my H440 case doesn't fit the GPU due to a built-in HDD shroud. My case has also always had terrible airflow and cooling so I'm looking to upgrade to a nice case that I can make as quiet as possible when gaming/programming.

Does anyone have any case suggestions for good airflow, overall quiet system and enough space for a large 3 fan GPU? Budget isn't a massive issue but I'd also rather not needlessly spend money. I currently have a NH-D15 cooler and 3 Corsair LL fans.

Thanks.

Any decent sized case can be quiet with the right fans.  

What features are you looking for besides fitting the standard cooler and GPU?

I'm really not too picky. I'm fine with or without RGB, tempered glass would be nice but if it's significantly quieter without it then I'm fine with the case closed off.

most mid towers will accomodate 3080s, most boards seem to be 320mm long. so you just need quiet, which comes down to fans mostly. LLs arent super quiet, arctic p12s and noctuas are the best choices here but they dont have rgb. as for a case, theres two factions for those who care about noise. option a: you can dampen all noise coming out of the case, like many bequiet and fractal design cases, at the expense of airflow so you have to run the fans higher and louder to get appreciable airflow. option b: you get maximum airflow through the case such that you can run the fans really slowly and they dont make a lot of noise. either option works, i think benchmarks-wise the high airflow option is objectively better which is why airflow cases are becoming popular.

gamers nexus did a round up of cases in 2020 recently and i think the phanteks p500a did spectacularly in noise to cooling performance. its a large, capable case with a lot of nice features and is what i plan on getting for my build-in-progress. theres a normal flavor for 100 bucks and a 130 dollar version that has a bunch of rgb built in, both are good.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I see, thanks for the answer.

So if I go for the phanteks p500a, the default fans are good enough.

If I want to splurge a bit more, would the Lian Li 011 Dynamic be a good choice as well? Like I said, I have the Corsair LLs and although they're not too quiet, I can probably get away with running them at low RPM and throw in another fan or two.

25 minutes ago, Heywhatsup said:

I see, thanks for the answer.

So if I go for the phanteks p500a, the default fans are good enough.

If I want to splurge a bit more, would the Lian Li 011 Dynamic be a good choice as well? Like I said, I have the Corsair LLs and although they're not too quiet, I can probably get away with running them at low RPM and throw in another fan or two.

Phanteks P500A, or the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh are great choices.

Lian Li actually TOOK Gamers' Nexus 'Tech Gezus' feedback to improve on the original Lancool II.

Like they freakin' invited him to HQ to see if he's got more feedback.

The Lian Li O11 Dynamic is not very good for air cooling.

It is not compatible with tall air coolers -- limited to 155mm coolers... even the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition is too big to fit!! Like WTF...

It is more designed to be a water cooling case.

The Lian Li O11 Air isn't much better...because the chassis / frame is IDENTICAL to the O11 Dynamic.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

7 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Phanteks P500A, or the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh are great.

Lian Li actually TOOK Gamers' Nexus 'Tech Gezus' feedback to improve on the original Lancool II.

Like the freakin' invited him to HQ to see if he's got more feedback.

The Lian Li O11 Dynamic is not very good for air cooling.

It is not compatible with tall air coolers -- limited to 155mm coolers... even the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition is too big to fit!! Like WTF...

It is more designed to be a water cooling case.

The Lian Li O11 Air isn't much better...because the chassis / frame is IDENTICAL to the O11 Dynamic.

Oh wow, good on Lian Li for doing that. And if the Evo has problems, my NH-D15 will have definitely have problems...I'll take a look at Gamers Nexus' video and decide between the Mesh and P500A. Thanks for the help guys.

24 minutes ago, Heywhatsup said:

Oh wow, good on Lian Li for doing that. And if the Evo has problems, my NH-D15 will have definitely have problems...I'll take a look at Gamers Nexus' video and decide between the Mesh and P500A. Thanks for the help guys.

i own a p600s which is very quiet